LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Louder Engine After Starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 08:39 AM
Can
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Louder Engine After Starter replacement

Hey Guys,

As I mentioned in other threads, I did get my starter replaced. I took the engine apart myself, and by that I mean I took out all the connectors and even the Intake Manifold. After that the Mechanic(s) took over.

Having said that, the only two gaskets I replaced when doing so were the Intake Manifold gasket and the throttle body gasket. Having said that, the manifold was removed more than once. No big changes though.

The next replacement was followed by an Alternator replacement.

All seems well, EXCEPT, the sound of the engine is a bit different. It's giving that sputtering sound and the engine is a bit louder. Any ideas what may have caused this?

When I took out the throttle, there was carbon on it, so I cleaned the throttle body with throttle cleaner spray, but beyond that, I dont understand what may be causing this increase in engine sound. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-14, 08:56 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Make sure all hoses are attached. The only thing that you can really mess up doing the starter is maybe a vacuum leak was created somewhere. Also I know you lost some coolant, Have you topped that back off. And keep an eye on those 2 coolant bridge gaskets since you did not replace those. Sorry if that doesn't sound like much. Mines is loud in the front but I know my idler and tensioner bearing are bad and maybe the fan clutch too.
Old 10-21-14, 09:24 AM
Can
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the coolant was lower than "low" level, so I topped that up. should I check to see if all the bolts were properly placed and tightened? Thinking of pouring some seafoam to clean up the injectors.
Old 10-21-14, 10:10 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the air box, if not properly close you might have "intake sound" coming out from there...
Old 10-21-14, 11:44 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Can
Yeah the coolant was lower than "low" level, so I topped that up. should I check to see if all the bolts were properly placed and tightened? Thinking of pouring some seafoam to clean up the injectors.
Yeah make sure all the intake bolts are tight and check for loose clamps.
Old 10-21-14, 05:39 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might remove the serpentine belt temporarily and start her up to see if the noise is coming from one of the peripheral components or the fan bracket pulley.
Old 10-22-14, 07:28 AM
Can
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll be taking her up for a Timing belt replacement this weekend hopefully and will do all those checks. I do hear the slight "screeching" sounds occasionally as if some belt is slipping.

Is it possible the guys who replaced the alternator didn't tighten the tensioner properly? Guess we'll find out.
Old 10-22-14, 03:39 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Can
Thanks, I'll be taking her up for a Timing belt replacement this weekend hopefully and will do all those checks. I do hear the slight "screeching" sounds occasionally as if some belt is slipping.

Is it possible the guys who replaced the alternator didn't tighten the tensioner properly? Guess we'll find out.
Now that you mention the drive belt I'm pretty sure you have a bad bearing in front.
Old 10-22-14, 06:16 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be exhaust leak.... from one of the EGR pipes
Old 10-23-14, 08:29 AM
Can
Driver School Candidate

dropped it to the mechanic, and he called in and told me the Serpentine belt is in bad shape. I told him to replace that as well with the Timing Belt.

I'll also ask him to check the hoses connecting to the EGR valve. Thinking of replacing them when I get a chance. Here's what's getting done :

- Timing Belt / Waterpump
- Coolant flush
- Oil Change
- Drive belt replacement
- Checking the Tensioner pulleys

Let's see if these fix the problem(s).

It's really kinda sad as I enjoyed the smooth and quiet ride, now it's all throaty and loud.
Old 10-23-14, 02:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

A bad drive belt usually makes a squealing sound. Make sure he changes both idlers while doing the TB/WP.
Old 10-23-14, 05:06 PM
Can
Driver School Candidate

Well Here's what happened . They did everything. The car started , died after 20 minutes and wont turn . Is there a security system that needs resetting after timing belt change?
Old 10-23-14, 05:39 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

If you plan on posting a lot I suggest you put your year in your sig. Anyway it's not the security since it would not start at all. Most likely they forgot to connect something. Is the check engine light on?
Old 10-24-14, 02:42 AM
Can
Driver School Candidate

I can't find the "My Signature" option sorry.

But this is a 1995 LS400 we're talking about. Check Engine light is not on.
I would suspect "Starter" but it was just replaced last month, and it's not even clicking. Wondering what would make the car just die after 20 minutes and not crank at all.
Old 10-24-14, 07:21 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt it's the starter if it's not even clicking. First I would check the battery and make sure it has a proper charge. If that's good I would look at the starter relay. But it seems you have 2 separate issues. It started and ran for 20 minutes then died. Now it wont start and makes no sound when turning the key. If the battery is dead I would look at the alternator. Maybe it is not charging the properly because it's dying. Is your power steering pump leaking? Just throwing out some suggestions.

Quick Reply: Louder Engine After Starter replacement