LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Spacer size needed

Old 10-20-14, 08:52 AM
ThatLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacer size needed

Hey guys, I'm new to the ClubLexus sight, so bear with me. Let me bring you up to date to know a little about me. I'm a HighSchool senior, that just purchased my first car as none other than the luxurious 1995 LS400! Love this car to death and I love the VIP look on it, It's currently in the works, but not a traditional "VIP" style, cause the car scene is all about being original right? I'll keep you guys posted. Anyway, I have recently have purchased some 18x10 wheels that are perfectly wrapped in 275/35r18 tires and they look great.. Problem is they're sitting in my bedroom because I need some spacers, the shop didn't give me any specifications as to what I need, all they told me was I needed front spacers to clear the brakes and such. But it was brought to thought that the front would stick more than the back if I don't put any in the back, any size recommendations for a HighSchooler budget on spacers to make the front and rear align as close as possible?
Old 10-20-14, 09:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on the LS.

What is the wheel offset? A test fit will indicate how much spacer is needed to clear the brake caliper. On many typical wheels that don't have big brake clearance, 10-15mm is common.
Old 10-20-14, 10:28 AM
ThatLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on the LS.

What is the wheel offset? A test fit will indicate how much spacer is needed to clear the brake caliper. On many typical wheels that don't have big brake clearance, 10-15mm is common.
Hey man, thanks for the welcoming and response! I'm loving the car so far! The wheels offset is 25, my sisters boyfriend (who works for Toyota ironic enough) is helping me out and working on it at the dealership on the down-low, they said that only the front wheels are In need of spacers, but shouldn't I just get all 4 since the front will probably poke out more? :duh:
Old 10-20-14, 11:36 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

welcome! 18x10 with +25 offset with 275 tires will cause some rubbing if lowered, even more so with spacers! you will need some fender modification depending on final ride height. just making you aware of this.

also keep in mind anything more than a 5-7mm spacer will require longer wheel studs. most spacer kits do come with them, unless you get a bolt-on adapter/spacer, where they start at 15mm and larger.

depending on your wheels' spoke design, you will need 10-15mm spacer, and you do not necessarily have to run the rear spacers to match.

version 1:

version 2, bolt-on:
Old 10-20-14, 12:06 PM
ThatLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
welcome! 18x10 with +25 offset with 275 tires will cause some rubbing if lowered, even more so with spacers! you will need some fender modification depending on final ride height. just making you aware of this.

also keep in mind anything more than a 5-7mm spacer will require longer wheel studs. most spacer kits do come with them, unless you get a bolt-on adapter/spacer, where they start at 15mm and larger.

depending on your wheels' spoke design, you will need 10-15mm spacer, and you do not necessarily have to run the rear spacers to match.

version 1:

version 2, bolt-on:
Thanks for the welcoming! And thanks for the clarification on the fender modification, and logged bolts, I was given 2 spacers to base off with, one is the thickness needed, the other is the correct size, any tips as to how I can measure this appropriately? Also with the fender modifications, do you know of anywhere to get some flares? I have been searching into the deepest parts of the internet and all I can find is one but it's a picture of it that looks like a body kit, thanks for the feedback also!
Old 10-20-14, 12:17 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

really hard to measure since it all depends on the wheel design. take a pic of the rear pad (where the wheel touches the brake rotor) and i can do an estimate.

thickness and size is the same thing no? of course the center/hub bore is very specific, being 60.1mm on the lexus! i would make sure to get spacers with a bore of 60.1mm.

as for the flares, no one makes any specific to the LS. you will need to custom fit your own like this guy, though it's a UCF10. same principle.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html

Old 10-20-14, 03:02 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way to figure out spacer thickness is to throw some washers on the studs, mount your wheel, take off wheel and measure how many washers you used

Also if I were you I'd just get smaller tires, much easier than trying to fit generic flares and make it look decent unless you want that flared look. To put it in perspective I'm running 18x10 +12 with no spacer and a 215/40. Those wheels are gonna hang out there for sure esp if a spacer is needed.
Old 10-21-14, 04:59 AM
ThatLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
really hard to measure since it all depends on the wheel design. take a pic of the rear pad (where the wheel touches the brake rotor) and i can do an estimate.

thickness and size is the same thing no? of course the center/hub bore is very specific, being 60.1mm on the lexus! i would make sure to get spacers with a bore of 60.1mm.

as for the flares, no one makes any specific to the LS. you will need to custom fit your own like this guy, though it's a UCF10. same principle.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html

Yeah I'm kind of looking for that aggressive look, I might just roll and pull the fenders out in that case, if worst comes to worst I'll buy universal flares and cut them up, but about the spacers, what would you recommend? I'm looking to mount the wheels on this weekend if I can get the spacers..
Old 10-21-14, 06:25 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

H&R or Eibach 15mm spacers with studs.

You'll be doing a lot of work to get those wheels to fit right in the front. and the front will look way more aggressive than the rear.

Frankly you need to return the wheels and get a set that are made for BBK clearance, or are a higher offset. 18x10 +20 wheels with a 15mm spacer will give you a 18x10 +5 effective fitment, which you won't fit easily even if you did have stretched 215 tires.

Simply put, 275/35-18 on your 18x10 +20 wheels with 15mm spacers will NOT fit on the front of your car without bodyshop intervention.
Old 10-21-14, 08:13 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

275/35 is going to sit pretty big on a 10" wheel, which in turn means fender mods. I'd recommend downsizing to 235/35 and that should help a bit. As for spacers, for each negative degree of camber, it adds +5mm to your offset, so factor that into your equation as well. Generally speaking, an offset between +10 and +15 (so a 10-15mm spacer) will have you sitting flush.
Old 10-21-14, 08:39 AM
ThatLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
275/35 is going to sit pretty big on a 10" wheel, which in turn means fender mods. I'd recommend downsizing to 235/35 and that should help a bit. As for spacers, for each negative degree of camber, it adds +5mm to your offset, so factor that into your equation as well. Generally speaking, an offset between +10 and +15 (so a 10-15mm spacer) will have you sitting flush.
Well that's a little easier said than done, I can't really afford to just swap out my wheels and tires again, some times down the line after I graduate, maybe the next year or so I plan on swapping in some MRR HR3's, If I had the money I would put them on now but I got some decent wheels for the time being. Not planning on any camber any time soon unless there's some natural camber and no tuck, I'm just planning on going low enough till the fender barely touches or it starts to rub, I'm just looking for spacers big enough just to clear the brakes so the wheels can sit on it for now, I was given a test one for the width (mm's) and i was told that it would be enough, it looks like a 5mm, not quite sure, and fender work would be recommended according to my sisters boyfriend
Old 10-21-14, 12:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol if they're regular disk wheels you'll need 10-15mm guaranteed.