LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted $6300 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 03:58 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check the timing belt condition myself to see if its cracked or needs changing, might be fine cost 0
new power steering pump at wreckers 35$, change yourself
valve cover gaskets leaking, what else is new, leave it unless its mega bad, lots just weap slowly
steering column, I don't even know what is in there that could leak.

Do you need any of this to safety it? what a greedy shop, they either don't want to do the work or are trying to rob you BLIND. Sounds like a timing belt inspection, check those leaks on the PS system yourself to see how bad they are, fix the front end noise and tires and you're good to go!

You could pay a backyard mechanic a lot less to change the timing belt and seals if needs be, its not a rocket science job by any means, any competent mechanic could do it no problem.
Old 10-17-14, 04:11 PM
UniqueCopy

Thank you for all the replies guys, I've decided to keep the car. I honestly don't think I'll find a better LS400 for anywhere close to the $3500 I paid for this, and once the maintenance is done, I'll have that piece of mind that comes with knowing for sure.

I do have mechanical experience, but I'll be having the TB/WP job done at a shop (not sure which), likely next week. I'm really starting to believe this thing might be on it's original! The car has been maintained mostly through dealerships it's whole life, but there's no record of the job being done. I'll also be addressing the leaking P/S pump as soon as possible.

I spoke with the Service Adviser today, who said he made a mistake and that it's actually the steering rack that is leaking. I'll have the shop I choose take a look at this, as well as the rest of the car, and give me an opinion.

I'll also be taking it in for new tires. Until I decide on which wheels I want, and let me wallet recover from all this maintenance, I'm going with the cheap ($95/ea) all-seasons which match the new rear tires. I forgot to mention that the Lexus dealership found the right front tire was down to the cords, so they installed my spare. The car no longer pulls to the right, so I'm pretty confident nothing is damaged, and I'd hope they'd have mentioned it if something was. Regardless, I'll see if it's still pulling once I get the new tires installed (also next week). It was just in for an alignment 3,000 miles ago.

I do have one big question. When I'm having the shop replace the TB/WP, what else should I have them inspect and/or replace while they're in there? I'm not opposed to spending a bit more if it'll save me in the long run.

Thanks again!
Old 10-17-14, 04:31 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

cam seals while they are in there. It can easily be accessed while doing the TB/WP but if you have it done outside of the TB/WP service it will cost more, and that will probably include the valve cover gaskets. Try to strike a deal, negotiate the cost, and be CHEAP and the shop will work for it because its a big job
Old 10-17-14, 04:34 PM
UniqueCopy

Cam seals, got it.

Would I save much by having them do the valve cover gaskets at the same time? How about the p/s pump? radiator hoses (which the dealer recommended)? thermostat? plugs / wires / distributor cap / rotor? coolant flush?
Old 10-17-14, 05:01 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UniqueCopy
Cam seals, got it.

Would I save much by having them do the valve cover gaskets at the same time? How about the p/s pump? radiator hoses (which the dealer recommended)? thermostat? plugs / wires / distributor cap / rotor? coolant flush?
Front main (crank) seal also.Toyota calls the cam seals and crank seal "oil seals".Good luck.
Old 10-17-14, 05:41 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam seals, got it.

Valve cover gaskets? I don't know. The valve covers are on top of the engine but I'm not sure whats required for removal of the valve covers.
P/S Pump? Yes
Radiator hoses? Yes
Thermostat? Yes
Tune up? Doesn't require the same removal of parts. Top of engine, not front.
Coolant Flush? Doesn't require the same removal of parts. But I recommend you do it under the circumstances.

That being said, get them all done at the same time and negotiate a cheaper rate for all the work you want done. Have your alternator tested as well while the mechanic's in there.

P.S. Get all the things in this kit for the job: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1997/4485.html

Last edited by RugbyDad; 10-17-14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 06:10 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Cam seals, got it.

Your car does not have a distributor/wires each spark plug had it's own ignition coil. I don't know if you would save much by having the valve cover gaskets done at the same time since the jobs are separate. If you have the cam seals done then you are going to do the gaskets since the cams have to come out to change the seals.
Old 10-17-14, 11:06 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Front main oil seal while in there, you can probably find a local guy to do the timing belt not that expensive, buy the parts yourself and you'll save a bunch of cash.

Its a low price for a very nice looking car, I think a rebuilt rack is not that expensive (300$) but you might have lots of life left in the rack with very minor seal leaks.
Old 10-18-14, 07:52 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

WAITto replace your cam seals is a BIG job, you got some bad information 98 and up are different motors than 97 and back where cam seals were easy..... BUT if you are going to replace the valve cover gastets you can also do the cam seals as that is part of the service... dont just listen to our chatter, do a little reading for your self so you will know your car... read about 98=2000 timing belts and the CAM SEALS HERE
98+ xUZ vvti motors require cam removal to replace the seals.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ith-vvt-i.html

EDIT I just noticed sha4000 told you about the cam seals, sorry I didnt catch it....

Last edited by billydpowe; 10-18-14 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 09:54 AM
Indy96
Driver School Candidate

Default Repairs

you can get most of that fixed super cheap...valve cover gaskets..np...you can get somebody to do it for $100 easy...but the big 90K service...timing belt..waterpump..tensioners...theres a bunch of stuff to do...have a dealer do it...and get a warranty..it goes bad..its on them...most of the other stuff you can get a good backyard mechanic to do it very inexpensively if you aren't a mechanic.
Old 10-18-14, 10:18 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by billydpowe
WAITto replace your cam seals is a BIG job, you got some bad information 98 and up are different motors than 97 and back where cam seals were easy..... BUT if you are going to replace the valve cover gastets you can also do the cam seals as that is part of the service... dont just listen to our chatter, do a little reading for your self so you will know your car... read about 98=2000 timing belts and the CAM SEALS HERE
98+ xUZ vvti motors require cam removal to replace the seals.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ith-vvt-i.html

EDIT I just noticed sha4000 told you about the cam seals, sorry I didnt catch it....
No problem Billy, your always real helpful and he might have missed my post.
Old 10-18-14, 12:12 PM
UniqueCopy

Thanks for all the info guys, learning a lot here!

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
Valve cover gaskets? I don't know. The valve covers are on top of the engine but I'm not sure whats required for removal of the valve covers.
P/S Pump? Yes
Radiator hoses? Yes
Thermostat? Yes
Tune up? Doesn't require the same removal of parts. Top of engine, not front.
Coolant Flush? Doesn't require the same removal of parts. But I recommend you do it under the circumstances.

That being said, get them all done at the same time and negotiate a cheaper rate for all the work you want done. Have your alternator tested as well while the mechanic's in there.

P.S. Get all the things in this kit for the job: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1997/4485.html
I actually have a 1999, so it would be this kit: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1999/6884.html

I'm a little confused as to why the kit would include the cam seals, if you had to remove the valve covers to replace them. If that would the case, I'm sure it would include the valve cover gaskets and possibly more. Can anyone elaborate?

In addition to this kit, I'm going to have them replace the radiator hoses, serpentine belt, and flush the coolant.

Anything I'm forgetting, while we're in there?
Old 10-18-14, 12:54 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

<<<@!1!@>>>

I guess it's because they list it as a premium kit, either way that kit is over priced. Here is the OEM kit I used minus the cam/crank seals and themostat.
Amazon.com: Aisin TKT-021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Aisin TKT-021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive
$177.86
I got the seals and thermostat from Lexus of south Atlanta.
Cam seals 2x $21.71 ( I had to go to the dealer and pay $30 a piece since I mistakenly Ordered the wrong seals )
Crank seal $8 It's called an oil pump seal
Thermostat $16.54
Thermostat gasket $2.65
Plus whatever tax & shipping and your still under $300. I have Prime so the amazon was free shipping and the shipping from the online lexus dealer is probably a minimum of 10-$15.
Old 10-18-14, 01:17 PM
UniqueCopy

It seemed a little high to me, but experience from many years of Toyota ownership has me convinced it's worth a little more for the red and white box

So you did the cam seals, which requires removal of the cams? That sounds like a huge job. I'm wondering if it'd be better to hold off on that until the need is there? Or is it much easier with the front of the engine apart?
Old 10-18-14, 02:50 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you notice I didn't say get THIS kit. I said get everything in this kit. I meant to source the parts, like sha outlined. I will be doing the exact same in 8k miles. Didn't mean to confuse or mislead (especially with the 97 parts, Sewell automatically saves whatever vehicle I was recently browsing under).

cam seals, which requires removal of the cams? yesThat sounds like a huge job. I'm wondering if it'd be better to hold off on that until the need is there? Or is it much easier with the front of the engine apart? the cams are right there in the same vicinity. to do the cam seals later would essentially mean redoing everything all over again

Last edited by RugbyDad; 10-18-14 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted $6300 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?