LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted $6300 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?

Old 10-16-14, 04:34 PM
UniqueCopy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted $6300 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?

I could really use your advice guys. First LS400, and I'm not sure what I should do.

Monday, October 13th - I responded to a CL ad for a 1999 Lexus LS400 with 174,000 miles, advertised as well maintained and clean. We sent several emails back and forth, after which I was still interested. I found out they live 1.5 hours away, but that they were coming into town to trade the car in on their new Subaru the next day. I agreed to meet them at the Subaru dealership.

Tuesday, October 14th - I met them around 5pm to check it out and take it for an extended test drive. Overall, the car was quite clean. The interior was in great condition, and exterior was pretty decent. It seemed to run well, shift well, and everything seemed to work.

After the visual inspection and test drive, there were three things that needed to be addressed:

1. Tires / Alignment - It pulled hard to the right, and one of the front tires is at the cords. Once replaced, it would definitely need an alignment. The rear tires were fairly new.

2. Unknown Timing Belt / Water Pump History - There was no record of the TB/WP service being performed. Regardless, it was/is almost time for it again.

3. Mystery Noise - There was a very faint sound that sounded like it was coming from the front end, only heard when braking or decelerating. I would describe it as a grinding or a friction sound.

I've always taken vehicles in for pre-purchase inspections before making a purchase. It wasn't an option at this point, due to the distance and the time, but the sellers told me if I had the PPI done afterward, and I didn't want the car, that they would give me a refund. I wanted the car, and that sounded fair. They were asking $5000, and accepted my offer of $3500. The bill of sale reflected what they told me about taking the vehicle back, based on a PPI.

Wednesday, October 15th

I scheduled the PPI and dropped the car off later that afternoon. The results weren't horrible, but they were more than I was expecting.

- Replace Timing Belt / Water Pump / Crank Seal / Rad Hoses - $1350
- Replace Power Steering Pump - $1170
- Replace Steering Column - $2400 - I wasn't sure why this was recommended. The SA said it was due to a leak, but that doesn't make sense to me. I called today for clarification. Anyone ever heard of this?
- Replace Leaking Valve Cover Gaskets - $740
- Replace Fog Light & Sidemarket Bulbs - $125
- Verified Mystery Sound - $130 for additional diag

Thursday, October 16th

I called and spoke with the sellers, who offered to take the car back. I'm really not sure what I should do, so I'd like some opinions. I'd like to keep it, I'm just not sure if I should look for one without the problems and maintenance due.

What would you do?

Pics attached
Attached Thumbnails Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted 00 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?-1.jpg   Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted 00 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?-2.jpg   Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted 00 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?-3.jpg   Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted 00 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?-4.jpg   Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted 00 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?-5.jpg  

Old 10-16-14, 04:51 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Take it some where else for the PPI. Those quotes are way to high.
Old 10-16-14, 06:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I would take anything the dealer said needs fixing with a grain of salt. They are notorious for recommending repairs just cause they think you will pay. With that said, the only thing on the list that I know you might need is the timing belt service as well as the power steering pump since they tend to leak and will eventually kill your alternator if not fixed. Now I'm not saying the pump is bad since I don't know. How long have the couple owned the car before selling it to you? At the very least you need to change the TB/WP, etc... for peace of mind but I would find an indie shop and let them look over it before I kick out that kind of dough or better yet give it back to the couple and continue your search.
Old 10-16-14, 07:14 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

125 dollars for a bulb change? Thats ridiculous.
Old 10-16-14, 08:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Those prices are pretty high.

TB service ~$1K
PS rebuild- $300
I'm not familiar with a steering column but unless it is damaged in some way, I question that replacement. Does the steering wheel tilt-extend?
The valve cover gaskets is a PITA but not to the tune of $740.
Bulbs...hahaha.

Take dealer inspections lightly, they build up a huge list. For basic repairs I would roughly say you will need about $1,600. Based on your deal, that depends how comfortable your wallet is. Can be less or more and that goes with the gamble on pre-owned. If they have a reasonably complete service history, read through to get an idea.
Old 10-16-14, 09:33 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car looks sharp....
take some pics of PS pump/reservoir you may just need an o ring...
did the previous owner have any maintenance receipts? like when the timing belt was done last?
can you do any work yourself?
whats with the 2 different kinds of gravel in the driveway?
Old 10-16-14, 10:42 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front suspension

Any mention of the front suspension at the check? Obviously something's amiss there.
Old 10-17-14, 12:21 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can swing a wrench, that list is like $800 in parts and a weekend with some beers and buddies.

The front end is probably due to striking a curb and bending a tie rod. you probably will want to do a front end refresh which would run you about another $500 in parts and another weekend plus a few trips to friendly shop to press in/out a could of bushings.
Old 10-17-14, 12:46 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Take it for an alignment, and while its up on the rack and they are trying to dial it in, they will see if something is bent broken or damaged.

But over all, for $3500, keep that thing. Fix the T-belt and WP at a shop, do the rest on your own, and blammo.
Old 10-17-14, 04:47 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

for 3500, keep the car and erase the dealer prices from your mind, just keep the list and have the TB/WP replaced and fix the P/S leak... 1500 sounds high for both to me, and you are good for 100k miles.. do you have any mechanical skills at all? brakes, tires & alignment is next and you are good to go. even if you get used tires, about 100 dollars here and they will last a couple of years while you save... VC gaskets are not a big deal or big money.... just think it over
Old 10-17-14, 06:53 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Always start with a diagnosis and quote from TOYOTA. They will get OEM parts from Lexus and usually charge much less.

Often small independent mechanics will charge about half the hourly rate as Toyota, but spend about twice as much time for anything that's not simple, so it works out to the same price. Go with Toyota.

I did a TB WP and Drive Belt and they cleaned my throttle for $1300 with OEM parts from Lexus.
Old 10-17-14, 07:54 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bornking
Always start with a diagnosis and quote from TOYOTA. They will get OEM parts from Lexus and usually charge much less.
I bought the exact oil filter from a Toyota dealer for $4.00 and the Lexus down the street has it for $9.00. Identical part #.
Old 10-17-14, 08:44 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Well you could have bought a MotorCraft FL-400S filter for $3.60 from Autozone, and its not only an OEM filter, BUT its bigger.
Old 10-17-14, 09:47 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Well you could have bought a MotorCraft FL-400S filter for $3.60 from Autozone, and its not only an OEM filter, BUT its bigger.
I used this filter for one oil change and it leaked constantly so i just went back to the Toyota filter which is about $4.
Old 10-17-14, 11:50 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a 2nd Inspection done elsewhere. I'm sure there are a ton of decent shops around you that are very familiar with Lexus' if you ask in the regional sections for this forum.

Don't get an alignment until you have assessed any damaged to the suspension causing the pull. You don't want to pay for the alignment only to find out there is something bent/broken after they have started the alignment.
Not all alignment shops/guys are skilled at spotting and diagnosing problems... it's often the first stop after the lube-rack for new techs who still don't know anything!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a 99 LS400 - Dealer quoted $6300 in maint/repairs - Should I keep it?