LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thats right. Another oil thread.

Old 10-20-14, 02:15 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Finn
Too bad they don't import T6 over this side of the pond as I would buy several jugs. Very good stuff as reported by many on BITOG.
Ill throw some in a box for ya lol I know of a ton of oil deals over on that side from a Corsa webpage I frequent (I happen to own a Corsa B, but its not allowed to come over to the US for 2 more years :/ ) and we get pretty sweet deals on the crazy fancy oils you guys get... Kinda like the gas you guys get, I am assuming its better, but have nothing to support that..... If you check his webpage (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/) he has a bunch of oils I never even heard of... Like FUCHS and Shell Helix and Motul... Problem with being on that side (at least the UK and stuff) is the VAT and junk...
Old 10-20-14, 05:35 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
You had someone build an engine for you?? And its not the rotellas fault, it was yours because you ALWAYS put a bottle of "Engine Break-In" no matter what the oil. I used to drive a flat tappet british car, believe me. Ive gone through some Engine Break-In and Zinc bottles....
Lol wut? Never in all my years as a tech and building engines have I ever used or suggested someone else use a bottle of "engine-break-in" or whatever you call it. That's the kind of snake-oil people who have no idea what they are talking about or doing buy or suggest to others. The likely reason "[you've] gone through some Engine Break-In and Zinc bottles...." Has probably more to do with putting that crap into your engine than needing it in the first place!

I'm sorry but with all the jibberish you have posted since joining, I have a hard time believing what you say/write.
Old 10-20-14, 06:17 AM
Finn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you'd die if you converted how cheap it is...

IIRC the last jug I bought was about $21-22, about €16-17. With tax.For a Gallon (3.75L) of T6.
You are mean.

On the other hand Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 was on sale so naturally I got six 5 litre jugs for my daily driver. My Lexus gets Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W-30.

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Ill throw some in a box for ya lol I know of a ton of oil deals over on that side from a Corsa webpage I frequent (I happen to own a Corsa B, but its not allowed to come over to the US for 2 more years :/ ) and we get pretty sweet deals on the crazy fancy oils you guys get... Kinda like the gas you guys get, I am assuming its better, but have nothing to support that..... If you check his webpage (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/) he has a bunch of oils I never even heard of... Like FUCHS and Shell Helix and Motul... Problem with being on that side (at least the UK and stuff) is the VAT and junk...
Opie site is very good and informative. So much that I have been tempted to try Fuchs oil for a while now. I use Shell Helix Ultra for daily driver and Motul for my bikes.
Old 10-20-14, 06:26 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
Lol wut? Never in all my years as a tech and building engines have I ever used or suggested someone else use a bottle of "engine-break-in" or whatever you call it. That's the kind of snake-oil people who have no idea what they are talking about or doing buy or suggest to others. The likely reason "[you've] gone through some Engine Break-In and Zinc bottles...." Has probably more to do with putting that crap into your engine than needing it in the first place!

I'm sorry but with all the jibberish you have posted since joining, I have a hard time believing what you say/write.
maybe all he drove were old (pre -75) cars which need the extra zinc?

Modern engines definitely don't benefit much if at all from extra zinc additives.
Old 10-20-14, 06:28 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Helix ultra is a really good oil.

Lubromoly (liqui moly) in the EU is also great stuff. Used it in our customer BMW/Benz cars and drastically reduced the oil coking in the mid 2000 and newer cars and all German DI cars.
Old 10-20-14, 06:37 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Modern engines definitely don't benefit much if at all from extra zinc additives.
Maybe, but I wasn't commenting on the use of the zinc so much as the "engine break-in" stuff.

Lots of older cars need zinc additives in the oil, no disputing that.
Old 10-20-14, 05:11 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thought I would chime in on this discussion I have been using M 1 since 1986 changing it every 15,000 to 20,000 miles in my 86 Toyota Cressida it went 529,000 miles on the same trans motor PS and rear end just using M1 my 1991 Lexus with 317,000 miles goes 15,000 to 20,000 miles between oil changes and everything is running ok. Even my compressors on both cars went the distance by draining the oil and Freon at 100,000 miles on both cars a friend from an AC shop gave me this tip. I also just changed the R12 to !34 Freon in my 91LS by just changing the schrader valve and the oil and Freon and so it hasn't blown up in 8 months. But that doesn't say it won't
Old 10-21-14, 12:40 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Bingo. Needed the Engine Break in for when the new engine was put together for my old Dart, run for 500 miles, drain, use high zinc oil for X amount of time, and then down to blend.

the 1950 Desoto ALWAYS had to have mega zinc dino oil, but I used regular engine 10w-30 dino oil for the air intake. The 72 MG I used VR1 in because it had a ton of "mods" XR71 fireball, Cannon 801 intake, Weber DCOE sidedraft, tons of junk. 1970 Fiat Spider 124... well... it was a fiat, nuff said.....

And Finn, next time he posts coupons to the Corsa forum, I will send you the code just in case you wanna snag something for your bike or whatever. Currently he is doing this: http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/car-chat/1...html#post99214
Old 10-21-14, 02:04 PM
Indy96
Driver School Candidate

my point was...........Rotella is great oil and WAS (not now) always considered to be very high in zinc at one time...not anymore.......so theres really nothing special about Rotella anymore....at least to me... But it good but there are lots of good choices...Mobil 1 gets my$$$.. Its fairly cheap and believe Im gonna go 10k on my changes...drop the filter at 5K and add a quart. and I will be adding ONE QUART of 20W50 in the summer...lol
Old 10-23-14, 02:22 PM
Indy96
Driver School Candidate

well If Mr Schee would actually READ what I said about myself and zinc in oil...he would understand -

I had a custom BUILDER build me a flat tappet camshaft 351.

.HE SUGGESTED 15w-40 rotella. THE builder said it required oil with a good amount of zinc AND AT THE TIME ROTELLA FIT THE BILL...you clear so far.

I DID NOT USE BREAK IN OIL MR SHMEE.....and never said I did..CLEAR SO FAR

AFTER SHELL ROTELLA QUIT USING THE EXTRA ZINC(at that time) IT WAS KNOW FOR COMPARED TO OTHER OILS....I FOUND A GOOD ZINC ADDATIVE....CLEAR SO FAR MR SHMEE

BEFORE YOU START WORRYING ABOUT SOMEBODYS RUBBISH...YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND...ITS A GOOD IDEA TO ACTUALLY COMMENT ON WHAT i SAID FIRST. ...

if I WAS NOT CLEAR... mY APPOLOGY....I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE BIG DEAL WAS ON ROTELLA...ITS GREAT OIL BUT THER ARE LOTS OF GOOD CHOICES SIR..
Old 10-23-14, 02:33 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy96
well If Mr Schee would actually READ what I said about myself and zinc in oil...he would understand -

.HE SUGGESTED 15w-40 rotella. THE builder said it required oil with a good amount of zinc AND AT THE TIME ROTELLA FIT THE BILL...you clear so far.

AFTER SHELL ROTELLA QUIT USING THE EXTRA ZINC(at that time) IT WAS KNOW FOR COMPARED TO OTHER OILS....I FOUND A GOOD ZINC ADDATIVE....CLEAR SO FAR MR SHMEE

BEFORE YOU START WORRYING ABOUT SOMEBODYS RUBBISH...YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND...ITS A GOOD IDEA TO ACTUALLY COMMENT ON WHAT i SAID FIRST. ...

if I WAS NOT CLEAR... mY APPOLOGY....I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE BIG DEAL WAS ON ROTELLA...ITS GREAT OIL BUT THER ARE LOTS OF GOOD CHOICES SIR..
He was not even responding to you. He quoted someone else who replied so take it easy and no more yelling lol.
Old 10-23-14, 03:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy96

calm down there indiana, you missed the point entirely. As stated, Shmee was talking to someone else.
Old 10-24-14, 10:29 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Lol... Sandy vag! Sandy vag!

As already pointed out, I was commenting on the nonsense posted by that other guy...
Old 10-26-14, 04:04 PM
Indy96
Driver School Candidate

cool...no problem yall...
Old 10-26-14, 07:29 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

lol, amazing

Last edited by Shmee; 10-26-14 at 07:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thats right. Another oil thread.