LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thats right. Another oil thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 06:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i ran T6 up to 11k once, instead of my usual 6-8k intervals. UOA (I use blackstone) came back saying to shorten intervals but otherwise all good.

I try to run 5-6k intervals these days just because.
Old 10-17-14, 11:41 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do they do the analysis thing at? Does it cost anything?
Old 10-18-14, 02:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Where do they do the analysis thing at? Does it cost anything?
$25 for one, less if you buy multiples. I do it every 30-50k miles for a street car.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php
Old 10-18-14, 02:55 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
$25 for one, less if you buy multiples. I do it every 30-50k miles for a street car.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php
So they send me a kit, I collect some oil and put it in there, send it back, and they analyze it for $25, and then what do I get? a call saying your oil is ****ed, or do they send a crazy print out of greek?
Old 10-18-14, 09:13 AM
Finn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php
Old 10-18-14, 09:43 AM
Indy96
Driver School Candidate

Default Rotella oil

question.................if you all are using Rotella because you think it has extra zinc in it,,,,wrong...several years ago..the EPA or some entity made rotella quit putting in the extra zinc. They used to have it. but no more... the reason I know is I had a custom built flat tappet camshaft 351 in my mustang(418 stroker kit)...the builder required EXTRA ZINC..because premature camshaft failures and the flat tappets needed the extra zinc....the answer rROTELLA oil...not long after that I noticed the zinc content changed...then read about it....so I found another source of JUST ZINC additive...The only reason to me to use Rotella would be the extra zinc...which is not in it anymore...just my two cents..

.I used Mobil One...Its close enough...if your worried about wear and tear....I would put in 1 quarts of Mobil One 20-50 with my 5-30 in the summer.....I had a denali pickup with a huge 6.0 liter v8...put 290K on it before I sold it...it speced 5w30...but I ran 3quarts 5-30 and 3 quarts 20w-50 without any probs..infact it was tons quieter...Im changing my oil at 5k 5w30 M1...in the summer Im putting 1 qt 20w50 in my LS400....I have a 3uZ in my 4.7 4runner and been putting in the 1 quart in the summer since after the warranty was up...150k. runs like the day I bought her
Old 10-18-14, 03:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Indy96
question.................if you all are using Rotella because you think it has extra zinc in it,,,,wrong...several years ago..the EPA or some entity made rotella quit putting in the extra zinc. They used to have it. but no more... the reason I know is I had a custom built flat tappet camshaft 351 in my mustang(418 stroker kit)...the builder required EXTRA ZINC..because premature camshaft failures and the flat tappets needed the extra zinc....the answer rROTELLA oil...not long after that I noticed the zinc content changed...then read about it....so I found another source of JUST ZINC additive...The only reason to me to use Rotella would be the extra zinc...which is not in it anymore...just my two cents..

.I used Mobil One...Its close enough...if your worried about wear and tear....I would put in 1 quarts of Mobil One 20-50 with my 5-30 in the summer.....I had a denali pickup with a huge 6.0 liter v8...put 290K on it before I sold it...it speced 5w30...but I ran 3quarts 5-30 and 3 quarts 20w-50 without any probs..infact it was tons quieter...Im changing my oil at 5k 5w30 M1...in the summer Im putting 1 qt 20w50 in my LS400....I have a 3uZ in my 4.7 4runner and been putting in the 1 quart in the summer since after the warranty was up...150k. runs like the day I bought her
You're putting in 20W-50 in a car that's spec'd for 5w-30 or 10w-30, it's like lubricating your engine with molasses.

No street oils come with high Zinc anymore, just race oils which aren't meant to last long. Rotella T6 is a solid synthetic with better wear properties than M1 and most of the other overpriced crap that passes for synthetic oil. Plus it's pretty much the cheapest big name Group IV oil you can get.
Old 10-18-14, 06:54 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

theres guys on here who use 1 oil..they have over 300,000 on their cars..others use different oils who have nearly that many. I have yet to hear "I used X brand and my engine blew the "F" up!
..ive used Castrol..Valvoline..mobile 1..changed oil every 3 k now Im running syn and changing every 5 k with..yes u guessed it..the stock recommended filter not a larger one cuz someone on a forum decided bigger was better when in fact its not as the micron rating takes a hit. keep ur air filter changed regularly and use a quality oil filter and ur good to go....cackling like a bunch of hens

Last edited by PureDrifter; 10-19-14 at 05:42 AM. Reason: personal attacks
Old 10-19-14, 05:43 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by python
theres guys on here who use 1 oil..they have over 300,000 on their cars..others use different oils who have nearly that many. I have yet to hear "I used X brand and my engine blew the "F" up!
..ive used Castrol..Valvoline..mobile 1..changed oil every 3 k now Im running syn and changing every 5 k with..yes u guessed it..the stock recommended filter not a larger one cuz someone on a forum decided bigger was better when in fact its not as the micron rating takes a hit. keep ur air filter changed regularly and use a quality oil filter and ur good to go....cackling like a bunch of hens
Python exit this thread. Your post has been edited to remove personal attacks. Your opinion has been noted but you may no longer participate here.
Old 10-19-14, 05:50 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by python
get over this bs cuz ur only yappin at the gums for no reason..ive used Castrol..Valvoline..mobile 1..changed oil every 3 k now Im running syn and changing every 5 k with..yes u guessed it..the stock recommended filter not a larger one cuz some goof ball on a forum decided bigger was better when in fact its not as the micron rating takes a hit. keep ur air filter changed regularly and use a quality oil filter and ur good to go....cackling like a bunch of hens

LMFAO!........Well said!.....i have used full synthetic Valvoline synpower and i change every 5000-7000 miles and it doesnt appear to be "black" at all nor any "sludge".......
Old 10-19-14, 08:48 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

You had someone build an engine for you?? And its not the rotellas fault, it was yours because you ALWAYS put a bottle of "Engine Break-In" no matter what the oil. I used to drive a flat tappet british car, believe me. Ive gone through some Engine Break-In and Zinc bottles....

The Rotella is because its perfect in engines prone to sludge, or being hard on oil so its got superior protection, not just some extra zinc.

And Omaha, your more than welcome to have a sample of this sludgy junk I have. I got 4.8 quarts of it!

Last edited by cgawelko; 10-19-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-19-14, 10:05 AM
Finn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
...Rotella T6 is a solid synthetic with better wear properties than M1 and most of the other overpriced crap that passes for synthetic oil. Plus it's pretty much the cheapest big name Group IV oil you can get.
Too bad they don't import T6 over this side of the pond as I would buy several jugs. Very good stuff as reported by many on BITOG.
Old 10-19-14, 02:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Finn
Too bad they don't import T6 over this side of the pond as I would buy several jugs. Very good stuff as reported by many on BITOG.
you'd die if you converted how cheap it is...

IIRC the last jug I bought was about $21-22, about €16-17. With tax.For a Gallon (3.75L) of T6.
Old 10-19-14, 03:04 PM
Indy96
Driver School Candidate

I did go through the standard break in procedures but I do use 1 qt of 20w50 in THE SUMMERTIME. You can freak out about it. Its a zero issue and it isn't like molasses...its 20W 50 not straight 50 weight sir. You do what you like. My 400 will run asa long or longer than most period.
Old 10-19-14, 04:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I did go through the standard break in procedures but I do use 1 qt of 20w50 in THE SUMMERTIME. You can freak out about it. Its a zero issue and it isn't like molasses...its 20W 50 not straight 50 weight sir. You do what you like. My 400 will run asa long or longer than most period.
good luck with 20w-50 working well in the tight bearing clearance of the 1UZ. this isn't an '80s car with a 10x larger bearing gap.

Quick Reply: Thats right. Another oil thread.