LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 Aftermarket Stereo retaining Nakamichi AMP

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 10:55 PM
nttung1711
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have few questions regarding my 1995 ls400 car stereo:

1) My car stereo is a lexus premium made by pioneer. It's not an nakamichi system. All input and output from 6 disc cd changer go to HU, HU process preamp audio and only HU connect to the amplifier under passenger seat, right?
2) All speaker include the subwoofer connect to the amp, right?
3) I've read somewhere that most of modern car stereo have amp built in so we don't need amp, right?
4) Am I able to buy any car aftermarket car stereo, took out old HU, Install new one and make wire to the amp then sound system will continue to work?
5) Is bypass the current amp a must? I don't feel like losing the subwoofer nor stock speakers. For me stock speaker is good enough.
6) Any recommendation about brand name or model of good car stereo.
7) Found a thread about diagram here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-diagrams.html . Is it applicable for 1995 as well?
8) Can the aftermarket car stereo powerful enough if I do wiring all speaker directly to it?

Much appreciate your help and sorry about stupid questions. This is my first car.
Old 10-22-14, 07:09 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by nttung1711

1) My car stereo is a lexus premium made by pioneer. It's not an nakamichi system. All input and output from 6 disc cd changer go to HU, HU process preamp audio and only HU connect to the amplifier under passenger seat, right?
3) I've read somewhere that most of modern car stereo have amp built in so we don't need amp, right?
4) Am I able to buy any car aftermarket car stereo, took out old HU, Install new one and make wire to the amp then sound system will continue to work?
5) Is bypass the current amp a must? I don't feel like losing the subwoofer nor stock speakers. For me stock speaker is good enough.
7) Found a thread about diagram here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-diagrams.html . Is it applicable for 1995 as well?
8) Can the aftermarket car stereo powerful enough if I do wiring all speaker directly to it?

Much appreciate your help and sorry about stupid questions. This is my first car.
1. I believe all signals are processed by the amp but I could be wrong.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes , you can buy this adapter and plug it in to retain all speakers and factory amp.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...sla-21aad.html
5. Look at #4
6. Personally I have a Sony which I like but anything from Pioneer, JVC, etc... will work.
7. Those diagrams should be the same as your car.
8. You can run the wiring straight to most head units but it's subjective if it would be powerful enough for you. Most on here would use a dedicated amp though.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-22-14, 01:37 PM
Can
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nttung1711

Hey nttung1711,

Like sha4000 said, it's the same thru generations, so 95=96=97 .
For me, even the 2000 LS diagram worked with my 95.

You can look for the amp under the front passenger sear behind the AC Vents . Just remove the two screws holding the vents and you'll be able to just pull it out. The subwoofer would be in the trunk.

If you want a recommendation try this : http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/cat...neer-AVH-200BT
Regarding power, if you connect to the factory amp, it should be more than enough for you. I personally love the sound coming out of my Alpine HU thru the stock Nakamichi Amp.