LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

If you were one of the LS400 engineers?

Old 10-11-14, 09:29 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default If you were one of the LS400 engineers?

Working in the design team, what improvements would you advise?

Mine are.
1 Starter location to the normal easy to change position like a chev small block.
2 4 inches of space from back of engine to firewall.
3 no sheet metal screws, something on the order of pop rivet type nuts and machine screws.
4 better designed jack points.
That's all that comes to mind right now.
Old 10-11-14, 09:41 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the 98-00: The turn signal attachment points.....................
Old 10-12-14, 04:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Working in the design team, what improvements would you advise?

Mine are.
1 Starter location to the normal easy to change position like a chev small block.
Packaging issue, what would you have sacrificed?
2 4 inches of space from back of engine to firewall.
Great, it would have driven like more of a ship than it already does since the balance would be jacked
3 no sheet metal screws, something on the order of pop rivet type nuts and machine screws.
That sounds practical. Congrats you turned your 40k car into a 70k car because you made them drill/tap every hole.
4 better designed jack points.
Compared to what? Even modern cars from many makes use pinch welds...
That's all that comes to mind right now.
I for one am glad you werent a toyota/lexus mechanic. The problems with your desires are bolded.

Mine are a tad simpler:
-Offer firmer suspension packages for the LS for the US market (the Euro market already got this in the form of the Dynamic Handling Package on '98-00 cars).
-Revised Factory Power Steering lines and joints.
-Pushed for active air-ride or hydro suspension rather than the "dumb" air that was offered.
-Push for aluminum panels to reduce weight and increase fuel economy. Trunk/Hood/Roof would be the easiest and show significant reduction.
Old 10-12-14, 08:45 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
For the 98-00: The turn signal attachment points.....................
I second this, at least on the 98 model the front turn signals don't seem to fit properly. It's not just my car either. I see this on plenty of 90-00 models.
Old 10-12-14, 09:31 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm pretty pleased. My 4 would be:

1. Built in radio glass antenna that was present in the 98+.
2. One touch closure of the sun/moon roof.
3. Gas tank under the car instead of in trunk. Losing that 4-5 cuft of space is
4. Better than the 65HP/L that the pre 98 had. Toyota engine performance has long been on the modest side.

When thinking about the age issues with the rubber bushing design something a bit more robust. Can't really complain since these cars do tend to do well anyhow. The rest came with the 98+ as to be expected as refinements go. VVTi, tranny...
Old 10-12-14, 11:19 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could do a lot of second guessing but you have to be there to really know why the decisions that were made...were made. Believe me, it is much 'compromise'. The only suggestion concerning the starter is that I would have put the solenoid contacts on the firewall rather than built-in to the starter(like many cars of the 60's), so that they would have been easy to change. BTW, there were many improvements to the LS400 incorporated into the LS430.
Old 10-12-14, 04:40 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would vote for making the rear shocks/coils accessible without removing the rear seat. Acura made the nuts accessible with just removing the rear speaker grills.

I would have added an on/off switch on the steering column for the auto tilt/telescope-something my Acura RL also had.
Old 10-13-14, 05:42 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest2
I would have added an on/off switch on the steering column for the auto tilt/telescope-something my Acura RL also had.
Amen to that! The 1st Gens had it, why not the second onwards? All the newer Lexus's either require a scan tool to change parameters to turn it off, or require a $90 trip to the dealer (that's what I was quoted for the personalization options)

If I could really go back in time and advise the engineers of something, it would be to use different freaking ECU capacitors! Imagine all the headaches that would have saved!
Old 10-13-14, 08:02 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great Post!

1. Heated Steering Wheel!!!!!!!
2. Sheepskin Seat Covers (option).
3. Modular Stereos (you can keep upgrading to the new Lexus model as they Change).
4. I agree with the gas tank being below the car and not in the trunk.
5. Rear and side curtains (like the 2002+Infiniti Q45)

Otherwise I LOVE the LS.
2000 LS400 Millenium Ed. @166000km

Cheers!
Old 10-13-14, 08:13 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starter for sure, jackpoints really annoys me as well.

Defeat for the steering auto on 1st gen they didn' thave that on the LS400? I'm dead sure my 93 Celsior did.

Dynamic handling package, oooh I would have liked that option!

I would have designed a larger trunk, its pretty pathetic this one.
Old 10-13-14, 11:21 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Starter location - I read once that it was placed there to minimize noise when starting. Is that right? Kind of obsessive, I think.

Removing rear seat to access struts - they mitigated that inconvenience by making the OE struts good for 250k miles. I'll gladly take that design decision.

I think the car is amazing. Just a few minor things I wish were done differently are from a repair and maintenance concern vs. the features themselves.

1. Eliminate Height-adjusting antenna - as an engineer, I think it's cool that the antenna moves up or down a few centimeters to optimize RF efficiency based on the frequency of the FM station you're listening to. But it's probably not so cool when your antenna drive fails eventually.
2. Eliminate Power steering idle-up valve - similarly, this not-really-needed feature has caused so much white smoke, lost PS fluid, and alternator failures.
3. Make an easily accessible PS fluid filter - would have eliminated many of the PS problems. As it is the PS solenoid filter catches all the junk, but is not a maintenance item known by most people, leading to PS system problems.

Yes, these issues are trivial - the car is awesome. It is amazing that such a complex vehicle - have you ever just flipped through the service manual to see how much they put into optimizing every system? - is also phenomenally reliable.
Old 10-13-14, 02:41 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
Starter for sure, jackpoints really annoys me as well.

Defeat for the steering auto on 1st gen they didn' thave that on the LS400? I'm dead sure my 93 Celsior did.
The 90-94's have it, but they did away with that button on the 95+ models for some reason or another!

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Starter location - I read once that it was placed there to minimize noise when starting. Is that right? Kind of obsessive, I think.
I never have heard any official explanation from Toyota, But I know when Cadillac put the starter in the same place for the Northstar V8s, GM's reasoning was:

1: It eliminates the starter from being roasted by the exhaust manifold

2: It keeps the starter safe from road debris and spray from the tires

3: Gets it out of the way for easier packaging considerations.

Now did they set the UZ engines up that way for the same reasons? Who knows, but that's the only reasonable explanations i've ever heard!
Old 10-13-14, 05:45 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
That **IS** the reason toyota did it as well.

Valley mounted starters were nothing new....
They are super common today and most V-type engines come with them now!

They did not design a $70,000+ car so some back-yard DIY'er could go online to **** and moan about how hard it is to change and how easy it was on their last car in comparison.

That said, my only issue with these cars is the same issue i have with all manufacturers who have world-platforms... make all the options and features available in all markets!
Old 10-13-14, 06:49 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
That said, my only issue with these cars is the same issue i have with all manufacturers who have world-platforms... make all the options and features available in all markets!
See: Gulf-spec LS400s...................
Old 10-13-14, 07:37 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
If I could really go back in time and advise the engineers of something, it would be to use different freaking ECU capacitors! Imagine all the headaches that would have saved!
I quite agree with it. Those electrolytic capacitors that contain quaternary ammonium salt should not had been used. Those are kind of time bombs, I'd say. Those cause fundamental problems and then leak out. The board is damaged and parts around are often killed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you were one of the LS400 engineers?