LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

what do you guys think of this? Tons of dealer maint. city driven ok?

Old 09-24-14, 10:56 AM
mattylex77
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you guys think of this? Tons of dealer maint. city driven ok?

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...do?d-16544-p=1
here's the car: http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars...d-ca-238123085

idk if you guys can actually look at the service history link or not but, here is the rundown.
looking at buying this 98, no wood package but hopefully i can swap out the wheel and shifter.
Every service at jim falk lexus of beverly hills. REPLACED STRATER ASSEMBLY (does this mean starter or something else?????) @ 60k, new throttle body, o2 sensors, MAF, REPLACED DRIVER WINDOW CHANNEL?????, PS pump and gear assembly @ 106k, motor and tranny mounts at 75k
TIMING BELT PACKAGE @ 74k (good or bad??)
ok so if the car was serviced exclusively in the heart of Los Angeles, this means it was mostly city driven. I also know that the front brakes were changed every 25k (no mention of rear brakes at all). also at 15k the F &R brakes were both at 80% then at 25k fronts are at 20% rears still at 80?? don't quite know what to make of this.

So either i am looking at a car that was in traffic for all 130k or just a money grubbing dealer replacing tons of stuff unnecessarily?
what do the wise say on this one? going to see the car today, may just pull the trigger.
Old 09-24-14, 12:00 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like a well maintained car, at least up to that final mystery service record in March of last year. The original owner went to the dealer for everything down to oil changes and bulb replacements. Timing belt is done, starter was replaced, transmission fluid was changed regularly. Even the trans and motor mounts were replaced, which shows that the owner really cared about the car. The pics look good too. One question is - what's been going on in the 18 months since the dealer service history ended? A second owner? If so, why did they get rid of it so soon?

Last edited by mappo; 09-24-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 12:22 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

wood sell for about 6000 in Texas... but it looks ok, dealer took advantage of this guy..
Old 09-24-14, 01:30 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

wow you really cant trust anything.

went to look at the car.
shocks were original, tires were wearing terribly on the outer edge, key could not lock/unlock the door, neither could the button on the door. looked like they degreased and armoralled the engine but i saw oil leaks. started the cold engine and found that it was smoking from the passenger rear underside of the engine. got it warmed up, still smoking, not huge but it was there. The engine was loud, rough and clicking... not like my 97 which is quiet and smooth. wonder how different the vvt-i engines sound when everything is within spec as compared to a ucf10 engine in spec.

and the dealer gave me that cheesy "well it IS a used car" bull**** line for everything i noticed

also the driver seat was ripped... nice soft leather though
Old 09-24-14, 01:57 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

sounds bad, hope you passed. hold out for another cleaner car. search orange county areas, as LA county (especially the inner city) has cars in terrible shape due to roads, traffic, and parts availability. i find that most folks that care for their cars live in suburbs or the country side.

i found my car in bakersfield, but was originally bought from longo lexus in el monte. you can see how wide you have to search to find a gem. look also in san diego county.
Old 09-26-14, 02:35 AM
mattylex77
Rookie

Default new prospect

here's the next candidate in my line of fire, price is right at 6500 it has Nak which is a big factor for me. unbelievable service history, spoke to this cars service advisor at Lexus of Westminster and he says he A. remembers the guy getting the TB done not at the dealer, B. says the old man was going to give the car to his grandson, so that kind of explains the missing two years and 2k miles and C. says that that check engine light was bad shift solenoids and that the clutch plates could be grinding as a result, though he never got to check it out fully. if this is true would this be a big deal, i wouldn't think an LS tranny would go bad at this mileage but who knows?
It also has Air susp. which concerns me coming out of my 97 w/air that i swapped with a cheap conversion kit out of necessity, RUINING my ride. I really want that cush OE ride but im a bit traumatized by my experience w/ air before. Gold is not my first choice of color either.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

the VIN: JT8BH28F5X0141175
the car
http://www.calsrides.com/inventory/v...3?-Temecula-CA
the service history
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ice-history.do
Old 09-26-14, 03:01 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just wait for something that is perfect. That interior is beautiful. Air suspension is a prob just wating to happen. I can't believe that interior is 15+ years old! I'm not a fan of gold either. My wife got a 2000 "burnished gold metallic" platinum edition 4 years ago. Its mono-tone which is the only reason it looks good.

not hers but exactly that color.

wait for one you like. you are in California! Still plenty of sweet rust free ones
Old 09-26-14, 04:09 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

If you have to ask what we think, then its not the right one.

the car must fit you, and your needs, and if you have any doubts then its not right.
Old 09-26-14, 07:47 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Agree with other posters, wait for one in the color you want, since the LS400 comes in a variety of more mature owner popular colors, I'd wait for the right color and right car, there are lots of super nice condition cars that are in the right color.

I made a mistake getting mine and not waiting, I got excited by the color and should have waited for any number of the perfect Japanese cars that often have 15,000-40,000km in perfect shape, instead I got the car crashed and used as hella-flush, what a moron.
Old 09-26-14, 08:24 AM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
If you have to ask what we think, then its not the right one.
Agreed, you will know when you find the one. even if it is a bit more money, especially if you factor in the costs of repairs or planned maintenance...