LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thinking of buying an LS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 08:20 AM
ehizon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying an LS400

Hello,

I'll be needing a daily driver car soon and I would like to get some feedback. My choices are narrowed down to 1998 - up LS400 and 1998-up RX300.

While its expected that both vehicles has its own set of issues, I would like to know which one of the two is less likely to become problematic?

I've done some research on the RX300 and it seems that the major concern is sludge build up in its engines. As for the LS400, I've done quite a bit of reading but it does not seem like its got major concerns over it.

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks,
E
Old 09-16-14, 09:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I would pose this question separately in the RX forum if you have not done it already. Two totally different cars but I would suspect that the LS would have less issues long term due to it being the flagship vehicle. I don't have much knowledge of the RX other than thinking it did not have enough room IMO.
Old 09-16-14, 10:02 AM
ehizon
Driver School Candidate

I actually posted a similar question in the RX forum. Haven't received any feedback yet. I think its a pretty difficult question to comment on because one would have to own both vehicles.

Anyway I am getting the impression that the LS seems to have less issues. The cars I'm looking to purchase have mileage of 90k - 150k.

You're all welcome to share your ownership experiences.
Old 09-16-14, 10:54 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The known issues are the known issues. If you know what the issues are, then it should be pretty easy to assess exactly which car is better suited to you.

With that being said, I've seldom seen a SUV go past 150k without some MAJOR tranny issues. I'm definitely not the end all be all when it comes to such things but, I'm personally a bit weary about SUV's and subsequently their AT's.
Old 09-16-14, 10:58 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

I think they are both well made machines, you live in California so snow isn't really a factor. Question is what do you perfer to drive? higher up SUV with more space, or the soft riding big sedan? if you have a family and dogs and do like mountain biking and stuff, I'd get the RX, the LS is a super nice car but its not for everyone.
Old 09-16-14, 06:39 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't get the RX300! The 1MZFE V6 is the most unfriendly engine Toyota has ever built!

To explain:

I have fixed alot of Toyotas and Lexus's for friends, and alot of them have RX300s. The one issue they all seem to have is the ignition coils going bad, which is a total pain in the *** to do yourself, due to the ones on the back of the engine requiring the upper intake manifold to come off to necessitate their removal. And if you have to pay someone else to do it, in case you are not mechanically inclined, its gonna cost almost $700 in labor for just a few stupid ignition coils. These are real world figures that friends of mine have paid.

in a nutshell, that engine is a nightmare to work on, and when you have to work on it, it will SUCK. And they also result in very high labor costs if someone does the work for you.

Also, from working at a Lexus Dealership, I can tell you the differences in the people who buy both models when they are new.

The LSs are generally bought by those who are familiar with the cars, and really want to own the finest car money can buy. They take good care of them, and keep them up to date on maintenance. LS's in general, are cars that take alot of thought before being purchased new, and anyone who is going to sink that kind of money into a car like that, is generally not going to skimp on anything with it during their ownerhip. The LS isn't a car... its a lifestyle!

Most of the new RX buyers on the other hand, strike me at people who want to own "the badge" so people think they are hot stuff, and the RX just so happens to be the "safest" and relatively inexpensive model in the lineup. It's smaller than most trucks, has AWD, gets decent MPG's and has good room for the kids. In other words, we are talking "purpose vehicle"...

Many of the ones traded in were totally trashed and needed a very rigorous cleaning to make them presentable. This is also, in my humble opinion, why so many of the RX's and Toyota Siennas with the 1MZFE developed the oil sludge problems... simply because people just don't maintain either of those vehicles very well. They are bought, used up, and then traded off from some newer model.

Yes, there will be exceptions, but I couldn't tell you how many people I saw buying new RX's, who would just throw the child seats from their trade in directly on the Lexus leather, and just take off like its another appliance. Most of them didn't even want the treatment of getting the new features explained to them, or want them pulled in the showroom to see their car the first time. They would just sign the papers, and then want to take off immediately. We wouldn't even have much time to pull the window stickers off.

Sorry if that was long... just my personal opinion on the matter

Last edited by YoshiMan; 09-18-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 06:04 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

+1 on that YoshiMan...
Buy a used vehicle from someone you know would take care of it and maintain it... = LS
You might find that in an RX from and older couple, but chances are greater with the LS.
Old 09-17-14, 06:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I didn't reply to your question over on the RX side, as at this age in these two vehicles life, it's all about how the owner maintained it. You have to look at the vehicle's condition, not so much the car model.

The LS should be less problematic considering it's a flagship car, but if the owner didn't maintain it then you may find that the RX is more reliable!

The RX is prone to sludge if oil isn't changed on time, if you look at 2001 mid year and up you don't have to worry about it as much. They enlarged the oil return holes in the head. Transmission was a concern on early builds that were AWD, the failure rate was higher than normal. This is attributed to lack of fluid changes and bad driving habits. It seems failures became less frequent starting with model year mid year 2001/2002. Good part is, if an RX had transmission problems they have been long resolved by now!

There are many RX300's with north of 300k miles, a few north of 400k miles. And, an overwhelming amount with over 200k miles.

Personally I have 211k miles, and haven't done a single MAJOR repair. The most "advanced" repair that I had to do was the valve cover gaskets, and even then it wasn't that bad! Not too shabby for 211k miles. My uncle has over 400k miles on his 99' RX AWD, original everything! Run's like a champ!

As long as you change your engine oil every 5k miles with a quality synthetic, and change the transmission fluid every 15k miles. You will likely have a very trouble free experience with the RX300. I don't plan on giving up my RX, till i have put at least another 150k miles on it.
Old 09-17-14, 10:50 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

it all depends on your use. of course the RX has more cargo room, but the LS will be more comfortable. as everyone already mentioned, the previous owners really determine the longevity of the car. LS is more likely to survive even with poor maintenance as the car is engineered to last.

i was able to drive an RX330 (newer but hear me out) over a few weeks and i could not enjoy the drive. the FWD just wasn't stable at speed and the car just didn't feel as refined as my much older LS (i have a 97). of course apples to oranges. i am familiar with FWD after owning a lot of hondas.

both cars will be about the same to maintain, though the LS has a bigger engine meaning less gas mileage if that matters. LS problems involve the power steering leaking (could be a simple $3 o-ring), front strut rod bushings, and starter replacement. all minor considering the larger things like AC and transmission which are solid!
Old 09-17-14, 11:15 AM
ehizon
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the feedback. I think I know which car to pick. The good thing is I have plenty of time to find the 'right' LS.

Yoshi, I like your perspective on the LS and RX.
Old 09-17-14, 09:18 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ehizon
thanks for all the feedback. I think I know which car to pick. The good thing is I have plenty of time to find the 'right' LS.

Yoshi, I like your perspective on the LS and RX.
In case you are not aware,the LS uses premium gas.For some people the MPG can become an issue also.
Old 09-18-14, 10:20 AM
watkins400
Driver School Candidate

My mom's husband's RX300 took a crap on him last year. He didn't even have it for 6 months. Not sure exactly what the cause was, but it was oil related. The engine was done and I'm thinking engine sludge was the culprit. I'd go for the LS. Trust me, these cars are extremely well built.
Old 09-18-14, 10:41 AM
ehizon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UNCNOR

In case you are not aware,the LS uses premium gas.For some people the MPG can become an issue also.
This is one of the first things I researched. I used to drive a heavy V8 sedan and I was not too happy with the mileage. But I think the LS can do a bit better, by about 2 - 3 Mpg.

With no more monthly lease payments and lower TX gas prices, I think its enough to compensate for the added expense of driving a V8 that requires premium fuel.

Last edited by ehizon; 09-18-14 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 11:01 AM
ehizon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by watkins400
I'd go for the LS. Trust me, these cars are extremely well built.

Would you folks recommend the LS as a daily driver?

Interestingly, on a comparable BMW 740i, I have read comments from its owners suggesting that the car is best suited as a secondary car, or at least have a back up car ready if the car is to beused as a primary car. I hope that is not the case with LS.
Old 09-18-14, 11:13 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by ehizon
Would you folks recommend the LS as a daily driver?

Interestingly, on a comparable BMW 740i, I have read comments from its owners suggesting that the car is best suited as a secondary car, or at least have a back up car ready if the car is to beused as a primary car. I hope that is not the case with LS.
Regarding the BMW that's most likely because of all the electrical problems that the early 740 sedans were experiencing. The LS 400 is a much more reliable car IMO even though I have never owned a 740 and parts are very cheap as long as you know where to get them I.E. not the dealer.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an LS400