LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Amazing Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-03, 08:22 AM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Amazing Lexus

How many sites can boast to so little major problems with their cars, if you look at lincoln or cads, BMW, MBs what a nightmare group of cars, we should keep it a secret if they ever find out what great cars these are there won't be any left for us.

1990 ls 223K 1999 57k The 90 runs like the day it was made.

AMAZING!!!!
Old 02-27-03, 10:40 AM
dunn378
Pole Position

Thumbs up

like i said before i have a 91ls with 214,000 and i still redline from time to time!!
Old 02-27-03, 11:23 AM
pongydoo
Driver

You know it's amazing!!!!
Old 02-27-03, 03:58 PM
Maeve
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dunn378
like i said before i have a 91ls with 214,000 and i still redline from time to time!!
Becareful, you'll blow up the engine 'bro. Don't push it too much !!
Old 02-27-03, 05:59 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

that's why i'm looking for a spare drivetrain right now, because i don't know how long it will hold up once i hit it with nitrous very very soon!!!
Old 02-27-03, 07:05 PM
rajah996
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 1st gen LS with 154K on the clock. I can still spin the
tires when I take off at the lights. Not to mention I have a large
system in the trunk too. (Two RF HX2 15's pushing over 1800
watts, and a four Farid cap)
Old 02-28-03, 03:34 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Well,

This is my story. My 90 LS have about 150,000 miles on it and once a while i redline it. The car is making 324.5 rwhp with two T3 turbos pumping at 8 psi without an intercooler. I would not be surprise to see 500 rwhp with stock block. LS is the best from Lexus and Best from Japan.
Old 02-28-03, 07:45 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dunn378
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by LS400Dom
Becareful, you'll blow up the engine 'bro. Don't push it too much !!
Well, I posted in Lexus Lobby some time back how I thought USA automakers could make a BETTER car than the Japanese... they just don't.

An example (not necessarily better, but...) was my 1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe. I bought the car new in Feb 87 and put 210,000 miles on the 4 cyl turbo engine before swaping in a 5.0 V8. I sold the car last year with 250,000 miles. The car was loaded and had dual power seats, power windows, automatic lights, keyless entry, ABS, electronic suspension and more. When I sold it... nearly ALL the original features still worked and it even had the original shocks and brake rotors (shocks were actually Japanese made Tokico's) When I pulled the turbo engine it was not because it was worn out, rather that I wanted a V8. That original engine still didn't leak or burn oil, was in great shape and I regularly took it to redline and ran 20psi of turbo boost.

Our 1UZ-FE is WAY understressed and other than the timing belt... not much is likely to fail. Maybe a valve adjustment. Good oil is always important. Worried about 6200rpm in a 200k 1UZ-FE... forgetaboutit
Old 02-28-03, 06:48 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default NO MORE US CARS

By contraast to the previous post. I also bought an 01 Mustang GT vert (new). At delivery the high stop light lens was cracked, scratch on right front fender,cigarette lighter missing,no lfuid in windshield washer.
It gets worse. 1st hand wash, paint peeled off of GT emblem, both headlights leaked.
It gets worse. After about 2 months the rear-end began to whine. Had to have the entire rear -end replaced after many trips to the dealer.
It gets worse. Six months into ownership, brake lines developed leak and entire brake line harness had to be replaced.
I had not purchased an American car since a 1977 Oldsmobile 98, so I thought I would give them another try. Believe me,
NO MORE AMERICAN CARS- THEY ARE JUNK.
Ron
Old 03-02-03, 12:22 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

1994 LS400 with 190K ish.. rarely drive it now because we only have two drivers in the family and after we bought the SL my dad never touches the Lexus
Old 03-02-03, 02:05 PM
shafee
Driver School Candidate

vraa, I have had plenty of experience with the over rated three pointed star and I can assure you that your father will spend plenty of quality time in his LS on the numerous occasions that his SL is being worked on in the service department of the Mercedes dealership. The SL is a gorgeous looking car but it is made by a company that no longer can compete with the likes of Lexus when it comes to utter dependability.
Old 03-02-03, 02:56 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally posted by shafee
vraa, I have had plenty of experience with the over rated three pointed star and I can assure you that your father will spend plenty of quality time in his LS on the numerous occasions that his SL is being worked on in the service department of the Mercedes dealership. The SL is a gorgeous looking car but it is made by a company that no longer can compete with the likes of Lexus when it comes to utter dependability.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. My dad doesn't do the drive to the redline kind of stuff so the Mercedes is almost Ultra-Reliable, only in the beginning we had problems, but its a first year car, i can forgive MB for that

Btw: I agree with you 110% that no company can touch Lexus .. must even stand on the same pedestral with Lexus on NUMEROUS things! I was wondering if yall could give me some help, like what i can use in opposition to this thread.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=30974

TIA, also it isn't a flame war or anything. Just a couple questions near the end of the thread. Thanks agian.
Old 03-02-03, 03:07 PM
Losiho
Driver

Uh, don't get me started on Mercedes reliability, we've owned 4 Mercs and I can create a whole thread on the list of problems we had with them. The best thing we did was sell our last Mercedes for the Lexus, and we don't regret it at all.
Old 03-02-03, 07:14 PM
tenpointed
Banned

I wouldn't be so sure about that. My dad doesn't do the drive to the redline kind of stuff so the Mercedes is almost Ultra-Reliable, only in the beginning we had problems, but its a first year car, i can forgive MB for that
I'm gonna have to agree with vraa. Mercedes does build a reliable car, probably only a couple steps behind Lexus. Lexus trumps Mercedes in their ultra-reliable electrical systems, while Mercedes electrical is only somewhat reliable. The Mercedes engine I believe is every bit as good as Lexus, but they just don't squeeze as much power as Lexus does in similar displacements. Mercedes low initial quality ratings can almost single-handedly be targeted at their hot selling ML series. They have have a much higher than normal history of problems and unreliability. (They're built here, not in Germany. Go figure.) Other than that, if the new E500 was priced as aggresively as Lexus, I would have been visiting the Benz dealership instead of Lexus. Those new E's and SL's are simply gorgeous.
Old 03-02-03, 07:19 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally posted by tenpointed
I'm gonna have to agree with vraa. Mercedes does build a reliable car, probably only a couple steps behind Lexus. Lexus trumps Mercedes in their ultra-reliable electrical systems, while Mercedes electrical is only somewhat reliable. The Mercedes engine I believe is every bit as good as Lexus, but they just don't squeeze as much power as Lexus does in similar displacements. Mercedes low initial quality ratings can almost single-handedly be targeted at their hot selling ML series. They have have a much higher than normal history of problems and unreliability. (They're built here, not in Germany. Go figure.) Other than that, if the new E500 was priced as aggresively as Lexus, I would have been visiting the Benz dealership instead of Lexus. Those new E's and SL's are simply gorgeous.
I'm still trying to figure out which company is the tenpointed star

Aren't the ML's built in Alabama?

Also when you said they squeeze less power then does it rank like this?

BMW > LEXUS > MERCEDES? because doesn't the X5 4.6is have much more power than the GX470 yet a smaller engine? 4.6 vs 4.7?

Horsepower 235 hp @ 4800 rpm 340 hp @ 5700 rpm
Torque 320 ft-lbs. @ 3400 rpm 350 ft-lbs. @ 3700 rpm

GX470 figures first than the X5 4.6is? this is from www.lexus.com compare vehicles thing.

Quick Reply: Amazing Lexus