LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Front Swaybar modification - Your thoughts needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 05:29 AM
idriveals4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 Front Swaybar modification - Your thoughts needed.

So, I've been thinking about the front sway bar on my 96 and after examining all the aftermarket options for it, I've decided to venture into the realm of let's say, shade tree hackery.

Here are a few options that I've thought about.

1. Drill another end link mounting hole in the sway bar closer to the body mounting points, effectively shortening the arm. This should add a yet-uncalculated amount of stiffness. At the risk of possibly weakening the bar.

2. Fabricate (or have fabricated) an adjuster bracket that gets mounted to the bar. This should add levels of yet-uncalculated amounts of stiffness with the risk of possibly having interference issues.

Both 1 and 2 work on the premise of moving the mounting point on the bar closer to the body mount. These thoughts ultimately have the down fall due to the way the endlinks are mounted to the lower control arm. The mounting points for the links are at a 90* orientation, so any forward movement of the upper mounted part moves angle of the lower part of the link in an unfavorable direction and probably is not an option, unless I find an endlink that has a longer bottom bolt that mitigates the unwanted angle. Left at this angle, I bet they would tear up the endlinks in no time at all.

3. What about if I shift the mounting point on the control arm, closer to the pivot point on the body? Leave the bar alone, but move the link inward. It should have a similar affect right? So looking at this parts diagram...

And where the endlink mounts to part 48515, what if I remove the part, drill out a mounting hole for the end link on the other side of the shock mount (inboard) and then use the left link on the right side and the right link on the left side.

This is the idea that seems the most doable but I'd have to dig into some calculations to see what they show and take a personal look at my suspension to see if there is enough clearance room.

So, I know this forum doesn't get much traffic, but what do y'all think of these ideas or have I missed anything way more obvious that would work here?
Old 09-03-14, 06:28 AM
idriveals4
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I believe my #3 was wrong in it's concept as I'm decreasing the motion ratio of the sway bar, effectively reducing it's wheel rate. Not the direction I wanted to go.
Old 09-03-14, 12:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What is the objective-use for your car? What suspension is in it currently?
Old 09-03-14, 12:48 PM
idriveals4
Driver School Candidate

Currently on stock 170,000 mile everything with the exception of a Rear Addco bar.

This is my daily driver, family hauler and only car. I haven't auto-crossed in years, got rid of my miata earlier this year, and I still enjoy driving a little more spiritedly. I have two young kids and a wife to keep happy.

I've done sway bars on most cars I've had and was hoping this would be a easy keep-everything-else-the-same type of modification but I'm finding that its not that easy.

I've thought about Coil overs but other than Tein CS (which may or may not be in stock anymore) I'm scared of the compromise that others may make. I'm kinda leaning towards Bilstein/H&R but was hoping to work through my cheaper options first.
Old 09-03-14, 03:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

more front bar will just add more understeer. not what you want.

Get some proper coils because otherwise the ship will still roll due to the pillow-soft shocks/springs.

then get some more rear bar, either by upgrading to a '98-00 oem rear bar, or getting an Addco rear bar.
Old 09-03-14, 10:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

He has the Addco. I'd like to hunt down a 98+ rear bar.
Old 09-06-14, 05:25 AM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree you're starting with the wrong part. The suspension is super soft on our cars to give the great ride, if you can stand to lose some comfort you should swap the struts and springs for stiffer units, lowering will help as well. I'd leave the bar for last, if at all.
Old 09-08-14, 01:43 PM
idriveals4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the suggestions. I do have the Addco rear bar but I would have to say that the springs are the next easiest way on this chassis to control the roll. There seems be many options for this chassis but they all seem to fall under the guise of really cheap coilovers. Stance seems to be a step up, Tein doesn't seem to offer the CS any more, and all the others seem to be clones of each other.

I've had lowered cars that sucked (civic on Tein springs and KYB 4ways) and cars that were awesome (M3 on Eibach and Koni). Everything I've read and experienced seems to indicate that the shock valving makes the difference in ride. That's the problem I have with these cheap coil overs and even track oriented offerings like stance is that the valving probably is not up to snuff. I have no practical experience with this chassis to back it up but being that comfort is so subjective and the reviews on this site don't seem to point to any one good brand/flavor of coilover.

Can anyone suggest a stiffer sprung, but properly valved coilover that would pass the wife test? I don't need to be in the weeds with this car, just a nice 1-2" drop and tightened up handing. I don't want it bouncing around or causing motion sickness.
Old 09-08-14, 04:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Tein CS May be discontinued in the US but may be available from distributors. Keep in mind they are VERY soft, with spring rates in the 6.5-4kg/mm range.

The Stance are just better marketed, they are made in taiwan just like the Megans and (afaik) PBM coilovers. This is not to say they are bad, but that the saying all these coilovers are clones should be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally, if ride quality is a major concern and you don't want a huge drop, just get some Bilstein Shocks (ucf2x only) and H&R (or if you can find them, old Eibach) springs. Cost will be ~$650 which is far lower than the ~$1600 of the Tein CS (new).
Old 09-08-14, 09:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

PD beat me...

Perceptions vary on comfort and PD's had the Bilsten with springs and Megans on his. The Bilstein and HR is a bump up from the stock squishy set-up. Nice riding with stock wheels and still quite good going +2 wheel combos. With heavier 19-20" wheels, I'd suggest an adjustable because you can dial in dampening. As well different springs rates are offered from some manufacturers. If you get a light wheel combo this is less a factor but still part of the consideration for overall ride characteristics.