LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS400 Flasher Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 04:28 PM
cnut1964
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 LS400 Flasher Location

Can someone tell me the location of the flasher relay on a 1998 LS400. Pictures would be of a great assistance as well. Thanks
Old 05-22-13, 06:28 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

a search turned up this, why not give it a try?? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...4-flasher.html

PLEASE NOTE: JB1 IS LOCATED UNDER KICKPAD ON LEFT SIDE OF PARKING BRAKE PEDAL

81980 FLASHER ASSY, TURN SIGNAL
81980-50020 (07/1997 - 11/1998) 1 $83.11
81980-50030 (12/1998 - ) 1 $83.11
Attached Thumbnails 1998 LS400 Flasher Location-1998-tsf.jpg   1998 LS400 Flasher Location-tss.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-03-14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 07:15 AM
cnut1964
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thank you I found the flasher/turn signal relay. They sure did not want the novice to change their own relay. Who would have thought that Lexus would put in an area that you would have to pull the duct works out to get to the terminal block that the flasher was attached. Again, Thanks. I have it changed now and am ready to help someone else with the same issue.

Respectfully,

Cnut1964
Old 08-31-14, 04:22 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok seriously. Where is the junction block that contains the flasher relay? I found the junction block labeled 82671A and fiddled around with it (after removing the upper and lower panels, including the ignition panel that holds a secret bolt and screw, and the middle duct that leads to the "ball vent" under the steering column and to the doors fog vent). It seems to be the junction block for the instrument panel.

After messing around with it for what seemed like an eternity I finally decided that it's not the block that holds the flasher relay although unplugging a certain 9-10 pin harness did make the 4 ways stop clicking but with the key in the "on" position the left and right turn signals still work. I have had my hand all up and in the entire area and can't feel anything clicking. I don't have a stethoscope to exactly pinpoint where the clicking noise is coming from.

Is the junction block labeled 82672A located somewhere nearby? The diagram is kind of mum on its exact location. And are there two of these junction blocks holding two separate flasher relays that I have to replace (one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side presumably somewhere behind the glove box)?

Edit: after some more finagling, I found out that this has to be it. Simply because the tail lamp relay is on this junction box. I took pictures, although they are really blurry. See attached.

First picture: Junction box. Orange connector is related to the four ways. Unplugging it will make the 4 ways stop flashing. However, turn signals still flash independently when switch is activated. Don't know what the two connectors below it control.

Second picture: Main connector that connects this junction box to something else (I don't know what). Unplugging it makes most of the lights on the instrument panel come on. Four ways still work. Don't remember if the turn signal still works though. Picture is sideways.

Third picture: Tail lamp relay. Picture is sideways.

Fourth picture: Same as first picture just without the wires connected. Top is a 9 pin relay. Middle is an 11 pin relay. Bottom is a 7 pin relay.

Nothing like the diagram and I'm confused.

Last edited by RugbyDad; 08-31-14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 11:54 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

thanks for taking the time to take the pics. it's unfortunate you still have not found the relay! wish i could help, but have not located it yet.

i too am curious as to where the relay is so it may be replaced for a low-wattage unit in favor of LED signal bulbs.
Old 09-03-14, 09:33 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

I found it, I found it, I fouuuunnnd IT!!!!

Disregard my previous post as that junction block (82671A) is a totally different junction block which seems to be sort of a central hub for the other junction blocks.

It is indeed under the dash. What the diagram and no one else seems to have mentioned is that it sits under the carpet to the left of the parking brake pedal. If you pull off the lower panel that sits in the door jamb that says "LEXUS" on it, you can pull back the carpet and you will see two 20 amp fuses (they sit on top of a plastic shield, which has a circled L printed on it, that contains the wires from the drivers door). Just below and behind the fuses is the junction block that contains the flasher.

In much much simpler terms, hit the 4 ways, press your hand firmly on the carpet just to the left of and behind the parking brake pedal. You'll feel it clicking. I took pictures just in case.

The flasher slides out, away from the door and towards the inside of the vehicle (do NOT pull up on the flasher). It takes a little muscle because of an extremely hard to get to push tab on the bottom of the flasher. Either use a flat head and a little muscle or just use a lot of muscle. I used a lot of muscle and miraculously, I think, didn't break anything.

The harness is connected to the BACK of the flasher relay and doesn't have a lot of give (gave me some confusion as there are harnesses on the front and back of the J/B and I thought the harness came up from under the flasher). You can pull the entire junction block out if you remove one 10mm bolt at the top and remove a black plastic bolt cover on the bottom. From there you pull the entire J/B out. Kind of a pain because of tight quarters and a rather stubborn/stiff cable that blocks that bottom bolt.

Picture of black plastic bolt cover on the bottom of J/B:

You can either try unscrewing the bolt cover or just pull it straight off. I opted for the latter. Slide the J/B off the bottom bolt.

Typical harness connection. Push tab at the bottom of the harness. Makes it even more difficult to pull the flasher out with the J/B still bolted down. Just FYI, part number is 81980-50030 for the 2000 UCF. Can't imagine it would be different for any of the 2.5 gens. There is no need to pull off any other panels or undo any bolts or anything else. Its rather quite simple. Much more simple than was previously mentioned in other posts where duct works and ignition panels were removed.

Picture just for reference as to everythings location:

Last edited by RugbyDad; 09-03-14 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-03-14, 11:27 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

great work! that bolt cover is really just a plastic nut that you can untighten by hand.

when you say "the flasher slides out, away from the door and towards the inside" does this mean the flasher slides toward the firewall or towards the shifter? i suppose "do NOT pull up on the flasher" means do not go towards the sky? i may be overthinking this LOL!

did you mean you had to remove the J/B to remove the relay? what are you trying to do by accessing the relay and J/B afterwards?

thanks for the pictures, it does help a ton!
Old 09-03-14, 11:54 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
great work! that bolt cover is really just a plastic nut that you can untighten by hand.

when you say "the flasher slides out, away from the door and towards the inside" does this mean the flasher slides toward the firewall or towards the shifter? i suppose "do NOT pull up on the flasher" means do not go towards the sky? i may be overthinking this LOL!

did you mean you had to remove the J/B to remove the relay? what are you trying to do by accessing the relay and J/B afterwards?

thanks for the pictures, it does help a ton!
I guess I should've explained a little better.. slides out means towards the shifter, not the firewall. LOL yes, up means sky.

I removed the junction block just because it was easier. I'm pretty sure it's possible to replace the flasher with the J/B still bolted. But my hands had enough of being scratched and squeezed so I just removed it. As for my plans, you'll see soon enough, hence my signature .

little teaser: switchbacks!!
Old 09-03-14, 12:21 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

R dad, great post and photos, will be a big help to others

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-03-14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 03:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I can't wait to see how the end product turns out.