LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C sytem LS400 vrs LS430 is it much better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 09:55 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C sytem LS400 vrs LS430 is it much better?

Hey All

Well I have a question to you all who have moved from a older LS400 (any year) to a newer LS430 about the A/C system. I live in South Florida so for me I am more interested in the Cooling aspect of the A/C vs. the Heating aspect in winter time.

Lexus claims you can set the temp once and never adjust it. The car will maintain the entire cabin at all times to just the perfect comfort level?

I know in the new LS430 they have installed a vent system which swings the center front vents left and right to move the air inside the cabin better.
- How good does that work?? Does it make that big of a difference?? Do you leave it in swing mode or switch it off most of the time?

I have also read about that the LS430 have several temperature sensors through out the cabin to ensure the same temp any where in the car. I guess the idea is if the sun is beating on the drivers arm from the side window the air or temp on that side may be adjusted.
- Is this true?? Can you notice it? I know in south Florida sometimes the sun will beat you up on the drivers side window but the rest of the car is cool does this new A/C really work better.

Also "supposedly" the LS430 has a Nose or also called a Stink sensor that filters out bad odors from the outside like a skunk or a garbage truck driving in front of you. Any comments on how this works. My 98 has the Auto re-circulation which is designed to eliminate car fumes at a traffic light. I would say it works pretty well but sometime it does not switch quick enough when its a diesel car or truck in front of me. I have adjusted is and made it a little more sensitive but still misses sometimes.

Any insight or comments on the LS430 A/C system would be helpful. I am thinking about upgrading to a LS430 and this "Supposed" new A/C systems is one of the things I'm drooling over but wish to know if its more Marketing hype or really totally different and revolutionary system.

Thanks all and have a great day
Jerry Horta

PS I have tried the Air conditioned seats and thought they were cool. Any comments on that would be interesting too.
Old 02-27-03, 09:03 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey I know some of you own 2001 or newer LS430.

Any inputs for me???
Old 02-27-03, 10:19 AM
tenpointed
Banned

Jerry,

I do have the LS430, but just got it last month & live in the Chicago area. So I can't tell you how good the A/C system is yet since it's damn cold here. I admit that it does do a good job of maintaining a constant temperature and do like the swing vents & leave them on all the time. It's interesting to note that the system will change the blowers from the feet area to the front vents to the side vents automatically and seems to know where the heating or cooling needs to be at all times. It works extremely well. That is something my former GS400 and LS400 never did. The auto-recirc mode also kicks on much quicker than it did on my GS400. I'm looking forward to this summer and seeing how well the A/C seats work, as I've never experienced that before.
Old 02-28-03, 08:21 AM
Lexi Ldy
Driver School Candidate

Cool LS 430 vs. LS 400

Ok guys...this is my first post. I just found out about this Club/website from my stepson. He recently purchase an SC 300 and kept talking about ClubLexus. So here goes:

I have driven nothing but Lexus LS's since their inception. I currently have a 2001 LS 430 that was purchased the day they appeared at the dealership. I had a 1990 LS 400 for 8 years; a 1998 for a little over 2 years and my 2001 LS 430 since October of 2000.

In response to the issue of the AC: I love the new vent system. In comparison to my 400's the 430 is superior as far as the cooling/heating system. I had serious problems with the AC system in my 1990 (after about 90,000 miles). As far as the 'stink meter' goes...again the 430 is better hands down! The climate control is a big deal to me and I must commend Lexus for the improvements they made to the 430. I also like the power of the 430 (I am an avid muscle car fan...ahhhhh...the olden/golden days!) vs. the 400's.

In reading other posts prior to registering, I was noticing the comparison of the Lexus to other luxury vehicles, most notiable the MB. As the Lexus became more and more expensive, I ventured out and test drove other vehicles prior to purchasing the 1998. Couldn't find anything I liked better for the money. Again, with the 2001, the prices were once again on the increase so I did even more research. I have owned a 633 BMW (way back when) and thought it was the 'ultimate driving machine' at the time! I drove the 740 il and the MB E430. The BMW was nice, but I did not find it as elegant as the Lexus. The E430 was too stiff a ride, and the interior felt much smaller. The S series was a nice ride, but not worth the additional money over the LS430 (in my humble opinion!). Now the S600 is an awesome car, but at an unbelievable high price, and again, imho, not worth the additional major money.

I cannot express how much I love the drive, feel, comfort, etc. of the Lexus. I did, however, get the sport suspension on my 2001 because I do like a little more precise handling than my other lexus' provided. It curbs the very quiet ride a bit, but the handling is great!

Well, I have babbled on enough for my first post.....love this site and I 'will be back'....
Old 02-28-03, 10:04 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Lexi Ldy

Hey thank you for the post. This is great news.

Also welcome to the club. You will find lots of intersting reading in this forum.

Have a great day
Jerry