LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1st Gen ECU Location

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 04:01 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen ECU Location

Does anyone know where the ECU is located for a first gen LS400 (1992) I took the lining out of the trunk and right below the tool kit is a black box, this box clicks when the lexus phone is used (I'm assuming this isn't the ECU, possibly a ECU for the Lexus phone?) I know it has to be in the trunk somewheres, but I'm not sure what to look for.
Old 02-26-03, 06:48 AM
Lvangundy

It's under the glovebox.

There is another panel beaneath the glovebox which pops off with a screwdriver (3 or 4 clips) and opens down to expose the ECU and some other wires.

It's really simple..wish I had a pic of mine. Someone here does I'm sure. If not I'll take one today.
Old 02-26-03, 06:51 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Default Here's a reply I got from a Lexus Tech

I'm looking for the Cars ECU to install my ROM chip (For my remote)

The computer is on the same side as the antenna. When you take of the panel the computer is in front of the antenna assembly. Once you have founded it, disconnect the computer and there should be a single phillip head screw that you remove and you should be able to see the old chip. From there just remove and replace it with the new one.

Does this sound correct?

I think I found a pic of the ECU, tell me if this is correct

Old 02-26-03, 07:08 AM
Lvangundy

OH that chip. Still though, there is an ECU under the glovebox.

I don't know. But. I'd like to know where the remote ECU is because mine has been broken for many years.

Dealer quoted around $400 to fix and replace.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-26-03 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 07:46 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Default ROM and Key

I can get the ROM chip and Key for about $130

Last edited by dbullen; 02-26-03 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 12:56 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's get something straight here. ECU usually abbreviates for Engine Controll Unit, but some use it to stand for Electronic Controll Unit. The picture you posted is the E(ngine)CU and it is located under the glove compartment as Lvan indicated. I have no clue as to where the remote ROM E(lectronic)CU is but I know that the theft deterrent controll unit is located on the firewall near the steering column.

dbullen: I think you should get your remote ROM straight because I don't think Lexus would put a remote ROM unit inside the E(ngine)CU. This would be a NO...NO.
Old 02-26-03, 01:03 PM
dbullen
Pole Position

Originally posted by hyperopt
Let's get something straight here. ECU usually abbreviates for Engine Controll Unit, but some use it to stand for Electronic Controll Unit. The picture you posted is the E(ngine)CU and it is located under the glove compartment as Lvan indicated. I have no clue as to where the remote ROM E(lectronic)CU is but I know that the theft deterrent controll unit is located on the firewall near the steering column.

dbullen: I think you should get your remote ROM straight because I don't think Lexus would put a remote ROM unit inside the E(ngine)CU. This would be a NO...NO.
Your right, Looks like I got them mixed up. So you can disregard the pic. All I need to find is the place to install the ROM chip that came with the key set. I will again attempt to take apart my trunk and find the location. Will post pics once it's done so if anyone has this problem in the future it can be easily solved.
Old 02-26-03, 02:21 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

the electronic ECU is in the trunk on the right side if you have air suspension, but i believe it is the same for computers without it. and there is also a place for a fuse under the driver side for a phone. i believe its number 18
Old 02-26-03, 03:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he's talking about the remote entry ECU . The chip he's talking about is the old style receiver(chip) that come with the new key and preprogram to the new key to lock and unlock the door. It's on the left hand side of the trunk next to antenna motor assembly as dbullen said in the earier post.
The correct term for the engine control is ECM(Engine Control Module). The rest of the car control units can be call ECU with name in front. For example, Steering ECU, A/C ECU, Air Bag ECU, ABS ECU,etc...
Old 02-26-03, 03:09 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

ahhhhhhhhhh ok my bad...yeah totally different
Old 02-26-03, 05:51 PM
dbullen
Pole Position

Default Got it all fixed up now. Here's the Pics

It was the chip right in front of the antenna housing in the trunk. Took out the ECU and there was a little spot for a chip to be placed inside, you can see from the pics
Old 02-26-03, 05:58 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you replaced this because you got a new set of keys that work with this ECU?
Old 02-26-03, 07:44 PM
dbullen
Pole Position

Originally posted by spxChrome
So you replaced this because you got a new set of keys that work with this ECU?
That's correct got a new Key with matching ECU
Old 02-27-03, 04:04 PM
Maeve
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dbullen
That's correct got a new Key with matching ECU
Where and How much did you get them for?

and...is that the same ECU to reset the brake light? Mine is still on since I replced my brakes and the brake sensors. (Note: Lexus dealer wanted $110.00 to reset the light ).

Thanks,

Dominic
Old 02-28-03, 05:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the keyless entry ECU he's talking about and nothing to do with brake light.
Which brake light are you talking about? The one on the dash that say Brake or the one that have the picture of the circle. Check in your owner's manual for the explanation of the warning light.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen ECU Location