LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

got my first Lexus ever, need some help

Old 08-24-14, 06:41 PM
Kaz7454
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my first Lexus ever, need some help

It's a 93 with 292k miles, mechanically the motor and Trans run great. But I am having a hell of a time getting the running lights to work. When I turn the headlight switch to the on position the headlights will come on but the dash will not dim nor will any of the running lights come on. They have only turned on twice in the past few days that I have owned it but that was after I had been driving around for a little while. I'm on a tight budget right now and wish not to be replacing unnecessary parts. Do I need a new stalk, or could the problem be something else?
Old 08-25-14, 09:53 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

I'll assume that all the bulbs have been verified good, there is a module behind the trunk lining below the drivers side (US) hinge that effects running light function. I would not venture to guess how or if that will effect instrumentation illumination. Of all the well used/abused Toyota/Honda products I have owned over the years I have never seen or heard of a bad stalk, I have replaced plenty on USA made cars though.

I know someone more Lexus-savvy will have better direction than I but I have read plenty about this little module and I cant find it now but I saw a thread on how to assess it's function. I hope this gives you something to go on until a Lexpro can elaborate.
Old 08-25-14, 11:38 AM
Kaz7454
Driver School Candidate

Yeah sorry about the lack of information, by the time I made the post my patience had been worn quite thin and I was fairly inebriated. All bulbs have been replaced, and all fuses have been checked. I just can't see it being the stalk since everything is functional except for the running lights. This is my first venture into Lexus/Toyota, I've always been a German car guy. And the one thing I've learned from working on them is that it is rarely the major parts that actually go out. But all the little sensors, relays, and connectors. Take my ls for example; the OP thought the smoke out the tail pipe was something major such as an oil leak or a bad HG. Thanks to the good people on this site, I have deleted that troublesome ACV and the car is running great.
Old 08-25-14, 03:00 PM
Caseyjones
Rookie

I to am a former German car guy. When Lexus first became somewhat common I used to trounce them (and just about anything else) with my S600 which was obnoxiously overpowered, crushing ecosnoots and boy racers brought me so much pleasure when I lived in Seattle. Then I proceeded to spend way to much $$ just on upkeep and silly amounts of fuel. $8000 throttle body fail was the end of my love for that car. I had a friend rewind them and got out from underneath that.

I find the Lexus powerful enough, pretty gentle on fuel and I'm in LOVE with the reliability. This car is so much cheaper to own and operate but still has enough power to blast by cellphone wielding idiots with ease. I dont need the fastest car around, I just want it to go when I push the loud pedal. Reliable like a Camry.. I'm sold on this and sorry it took me so long to see the virtue in it. I do definitely feel like an LS guy now. At this point in my life I dont give two craps about what people think about the badge on my car. It's my money and I want reliability, power, relative economy and luxury. I have no fear driving a Toyota product around and on road trips using all the systems in the car repeatedly without fear of expensive failure.

Running lights are so minor at that mileage and probably a fairly simple fix. I'm pretty new to Lexus to, I test drove an ES and wasnt impressed by it at all so dismissed Lexus for a few more years, then drove this LS400 and snapped it up on the spot. Welcome to the bright side, I know you will be pleased by what you get for the very reasonable price of admission.

-/rant mode off.
Old 08-25-14, 03:15 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

do a search on trunk wiring and you will be fine
Old 08-25-14, 07:29 PM
Kaz7454
Driver School Candidate

OK I've taken the bulb failure box apart and everything appears to be nice and clean. No corrosion or burn marks. Just out of curiosity, does the harness at the trunk hinge run to the right and left running lights or does it only run to the trunk lid.
Old 08-27-14, 07:44 AM
Kaz7454
Driver School Candidate

I've searched and searched, switch appears to be good, fuse is good, trunk hinge harness is good, bulb failure module appears to be in working order, all bulbs are good, all bulb sockets appear to be in good working order. Every exterior light comes on and functions as it should. And yet the running lights are still not functional. Anyone have any thoughts on what I am missing here?
Old 08-29-14, 08:00 AM
Kaz7454
Driver School Candidate

Well if no one has any idea to what my issue may be, could someone point me in the right direction of a wiring diagram of the headlight/blinker stalk. At this point I'm going to rip the car apart and trace the wires back to the trunk. I am unable to download any online manuals at this point. All i really need to know is what wire is for what just coming from that stalk. And yes i have searched for this and have found several of them but they have all claimed to be for my year and model yet they are fairly different.