LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'99 400: Noise when brake pedal depressed, car stationary.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 01:25 AM
kevvo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '99 400: Noise when brake pedal depressed, car stationary.

Hi all.
As above, and just noticed this today but it could have been there all along. When I press the brake pedal with the car stationary, I hear what I can best describe as a faint rumble. Release the pedal and the noise stops. The noise is only evident in a quiet environment. The car pulls up well, no pulling to one side or anything. What could this be, is it something of concern?

Thanks
Old 08-15-14, 02:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

does it make a "creaking/groaning" type sound when pumping the brakes at a stop? if so, likely the strut rod bushings or the caliper seals. (more often former than latter)
Old 08-15-14, 03:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Engine running or off? Gear in <D> , <R> or <N>?
Old 08-15-14, 05:53 AM
kevvo
Rookie

I'll check for the creaking groaning, hopefully tomorrow.
The engine was running and the gear was either park or drive. I'll be sure to check that too.
Old 08-17-14, 06:56 PM
kevvo
Rookie

I am unable to duplicate the noise. With the engine idling same as the other day, tried all gears and pressed and released the brake pedal. Nada.
There is a bit of a rumble from the transmission when it's shifted into all drive gears including reverse and even though it sounds like the noise from the other day I don't think that's it. That noise stops when shifted into neutral.
The noise definitely occurred the other day when the brake pedal was depressed and it stopped when the pedal was released.

On another unrelated note, the car threw the code P0135, bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor heater.
Lexus quoted approx. US $510 to fix it, part plus fitting, so I booked the car in. Got a phone call just before and it's almost US $740. Ouch. Apparently I was quoted a price for an IS300 sensor before I booked the car in.
Lexus say that the part has to be ordered from Japan. A little surprised than none are in stock locally.

I'm going to go ahead and get it fixed anyhow because I've been told that the car will use more fuel with a faulty sensor. Question: Would the catalytic converter be at risk of damage if I were not to change the faulty sensor?
Old 08-17-14, 08:02 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Heater code won't affect anything but cold running, the 02 sensors are heated so they don't need to wait to start calibrating fuel demands, so with a dead heater it will still run the same when warm,mbut be a bit rich cold,nothing to worry about. You also may want to book it into a generic garage for this issue, $740 seems high to me for an 02 sensor. Or at least call for a quote.
Old 08-17-14, 10:08 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

That sensor costs less than $100! I would buy it from one of the Lexus dealers online, Sewell, Lexus off south Atlanta, etc... and have an indie shop do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Pretty easy job if your the least bit mechanically inclined.
Old 08-18-14, 03:04 AM
kevvo
Rookie

Right off topic now ... seeing as the brake noise problem has gone away.....

I could not find the exact part number for the sensor when I searched Lexus parts dealers online. My own lack of resourcefulness, maybe...
I am now committed to having the sensor fitted by Lexus as they have placed an order for it for me. I will not go back on my word, as costly as this is now proving to be. No point wishing for hindsight now and I don't want some cruddy aftermarket part fitted.

Regarding online purchases from the US, I recently ordered a 3 button remote master key with cutting done and a battery supplied. The cost for the key, cut and with a battery was US $174.72
To get one of those keys ready to start the car here in Australia I was quoted US $585

On top of the US $174.72 for the key from the US, there would have been an additional charge of US $288.81 incurred for international priority shipping. I would have saved less than $10 with normal priority shipping. I queried the shipping cost with the vendor before placing the order and the reply was basically, if I understood it correctly, that the more I ordered, the "less" that shipping would cost "overall".

I placed the order thinking that $100 or so saved could be spent elsewhere and in short order my money was refunded with the reason "cannot cut to VIN outside of US/Canada.

My thoughts behind ordering the 3 button remote key were that if I was to lose the one I had that I wouldn't be able to start the car. I thought that the immobilizer had been disabled, allowing the engine to start with "solid headed" keys. Lexus referred me to a local locksmith where I was informed that the solid headed Lexus keys had chips in them. The smith put my keys in a device and the readout came up "Texas Instruments". I took a totally headless key from my wallet and the smith said that it would not allow the car to start.

Came home and put the solid headed keys inside the house so that the car would not "see" them and attempted to start the car with the headless key. No go, though the engine wound over okay.
So, the immobilizer does work and I've saved a whole bunch of dollars not needing to buy a spare 3 button key.
Luckily for me, the US parts dealer couldn't cut my key.

No charge at Lexus today so that's alright. I've had the car for 8 months and right after I start the engine, every time there's been a chime. Nothing in the owner's manual that I could see, but it bugged me. When I got the car back from Lexus this afternoon, no more chime.