LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coolant leak - cancer can not be cured?

Old 08-19-14, 07:14 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
This video shows a symptom of what a blown head gasket is like from the tail pipe end. The more coolant loss there is, the more steam from the exhaust.
Thanks RA40, my car does not have the steam that bad. smoke is clear in normal condition, during rain, there is steamy-look smoke but still not that bad. I notice my friend's GX470 sitting next to my car showed the same. So its unlikely the head gasket?
Old 08-19-14, 07:16 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
I give you a Purple Heart, Saigon x 2 if you can do it! Avg age was 19!
dont get it mate, sorry
Old 08-19-14, 10:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

With the car idling, does it drip or leave any signs of coolant on the ground? As far as your replacement head gasket, so long as it was the correct gasket, heads-block are not cracked-warped in any way and the heads are torqued to proper spec, it should be good. If the car has overheated since the replacement, it is a suspect again to be replaced.

Does the inside of the car smell like coolant?
Old 08-20-14, 03:53 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
With the car idling, does it drip or leave any signs of coolant on the ground? As far as your replacement head gasket, so long as it was the correct gasket, heads-block are not cracked-warped in any way and the heads are torqued to proper spec, it should be good. If the car has overheated since the replacement, it is a suspect again to be replaced.

Does the inside of the car smell like coolant?
There is no visible sign of coolant on the ground, or maybe very little to catch my eyes.

since I have to top up coolant every week, I use bottled drinking water instead of coolant, so nothing smells like coolant inside the car
Old 08-20-14, 04:07 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

google purple heart average age 19 and saigon famous battle and song lyrics I was trying to say I would give you an award for valor, bravery and courage if you can fix it up back to new.
I found the song (by Paul Hardcastle) but I dont want to dig it up. war is bad anywhere by any reason.

I am not going to get it back to new, just want to keep it run fine long as possible.
Old 08-20-14, 05:03 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qha_vn
no unfortunately. i was advised that (re)machined would make the block shorter tho very little but it may cause a lot more problems with pistons and valves
Possible if they were severely warped, in which case they should have been replaced, but a regular small skim of the heads would cause no issues. If the car had overheated it would have needed to be machined. What kind of gaskets were used? If it was an MLS (multi-layer steel), it NEEDS to be machined as the surfaces need to be nearly perfect for them to seal.
Old 08-20-14, 06:56 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Largefarva
Possible if they were severely warped, in which case they should have been replaced, but a regular small skim of the heads would cause no issues. If the car had overheated it would have needed to be machined. What kind of gaskets were used? If it was an MLS (multi-layer steel), it NEEDS to be machined as the surfaces need to be nearly perfect for them to seal.
I am not sure about the new head gasket, but it was after market and relatively cheap. I couldnt afford OEM one at the time because of both cost and delivery time.

yesterday I unintentionally notice a hardened hose returning coolant from radiator, I got it replaced, let see if it reduces coolant loss.
Old 08-20-14, 07:44 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A hard hose could definitely be the cause, good find.
Old 08-20-14, 09:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you couldn't afford OEM on a hose? Starting to worry about my out of pocket expense on this car but then I should have known what I Was getting into. If I smell coolant or gas when I outside near vehicle or have the windows rolled down with car running, could it be a hard hose? I wonder if I have a hard hose now. (please no jokes about thats what so and so said, either) haha
that poster is in Vietnam, he has to pay high tax, parts price, and shipping to get OEM parts iirc.
Old 08-20-14, 09:42 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
that poster is in Vietnam, he has to pay high tax, parts price, and shipping to get OEM parts iirc.
Thank you PureDrifter, you got the point. we normally have to pay double the price on ebay for tax, shipping and 2 weeks for delivery. I did however mention about OEM head gasket set, which would easily cost me around 700 bucks delivered.
Old 08-24-14, 12:20 AM
Kram
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone mentioned radiator cap but did you replace it ? that is a cheap fix and maybe the problem.You will lose water and you will not see it because the leak will only happen at high speed and the water will just wash away.The pressure cap is only 1 lb.
Old 08-24-14, 12:36 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you can't replace the block in your country what happens if say the block is ruined from a major internal failure? That statement makes no sense in the automotive manufacturing and dealer world. Because lets say you buy a new car and some major failure occurs to the block with in the warranty period the warranty would replace said engine or block. And they would simply move what ever number over to the new part.
Old 08-24-14, 08:25 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dicer
If you can't replace the block in your country what happens if say the block is ruined from a major internal failure? That statement makes no sense in the automotive manufacturing and dealer world. Because lets say you buy a new car and some major failure occurs to the block with in the warranty period the warranty would replace said engine or block. And they would simply move what ever number over to the new part.
in rare cases, factory or big dealer could replace the engine, they would need to submit tons of paper work to prove it legally. the process would kill any individual.
Old 08-24-14, 08:26 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

it is very like that the hard hose was the cause. I got it replaced and monitor water level for 2 days. Loss isnt significant as it was before. wish me luck :-)
Old 08-31-14, 08:39 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

the hard hose wasnt the only cause, I am still losing coolant hix

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant leak - cancer can not be cured?