LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Paint removal, Front bumper flaking/chipping

Old 08-16-14, 11:10 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My rear bumper is nasty. Just today I started sanding. I used 3m flexible plastic repair to fill the rough spots and it took me aboit 2 hrs to sand it smooth. I will be painting it tomorrow. If you just sand it down you will loose too much plastic. I suggest using filler.
Old 08-17-14, 06:32 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

after u get it repaired u can use this for protection of the front bumper
Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive
Old 08-17-14, 08:03 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was up to early so decided to get it done now.

Used "Aircraft remover, safe for flexible plastics" to remove the paint, my guess is a proper sander and a steady hand could save some time, it was really not a fast process and some parts took several applications. After the bumper was paint free I used some glaze to fill in a few very light divots/scuffs, washed with a scotchbrite, soap and water then used a spray on adhesion promoter and then a high fill flexible primer followed by a wet sand with 600. Last was a Bull Dog rattle can with paint matched by a local auto paint supplier. That went on quite well for a rattle-can.

Wifey chucked all the empty cans so I don't have product numbers but the same paint shop provided all the goodies except the remover which came from auto parts store. They also answered all my noob bodywork questions. This paint is supposed to be pretty durable but they were clear about not pressure washing or waxing for 30-45 days to allow it to set completely. I did hit it with a quick McGuires polish to smooth it out and ad a little shine to match the rest of the cladding and will do more after it sets up.

The pic shows a few bugs and the car is habitually dirty because my driveway is 3 miles of washed out dirt and gravel. It took some time, more than I expected but I'm delighted with the results and having a car that looks overall decent. More prep time would have been great but this was done outside. The pics are big so I'll put a couple in a reply post now.

Pics. Before >after spray before polish>after light polishing in following reply
Attached Thumbnails Paint removal, Front bumper flaking/chipping-bumper_bef2.jpg   Paint removal, Front bumper flaking/chipping-bumper_pre2.jpg   Paint removal, Front bumper flaking/chipping-bumper_pre.jpg  
Old 08-17-14, 08:08 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

The post polishing pics. Will polish more after it's fully set to give it a little more shine
Attached Thumbnails Paint removal, Front bumper flaking/chipping-bumperfar.jpg   Paint removal, Front bumper flaking/chipping-bumpernear.jpg   Paint removal, Front bumper flaking/chipping-dsc02091.jpg  
Old 08-17-14, 10:26 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What compound and polish you use? I did mine but have not done cut/polish yet
Old 08-17-14, 11:06 PM
Caseyjones
Rookie

I gave it a 10 minute once over with something called Meguiars Ultimate Compound. It's pretty mild so I'll go back to the place where I got the paints and get something there, they have a wall full of Meguiars compounds. I think it will need something slightly more aggressive for the initial cut and maybe another quick go around with this stuff. I will be sure and update the listing next week when I get to town to do it, I'll put up the product number as well.
Old 08-18-14, 06:15 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

It's looks way better than when you started so that's a win.
Old 08-18-14, 08:32 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

I love it, it's a huge win. It did take some time but it looks like a whole different car, its strange how some paint chipping can have such an impact on how the car looks.