LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tire expert advise neeed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 08:02 AM
katz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tire expert advise neeed

Can someone recommend the best smooth, soft and quet riding tire for my 94, LS400?
I currently have a V RATED 225-60-16 BFG COMP TA's on it now and they ride very harsh and noisy.

Any recomendations on a more comfortable quiet tire?

How are the:
Toyo TPT Proxies?
Yokohmas?
Dunlops?
Bridgestones?
Nitto's?
Kumo's?
Contientals?

Please help!
Thanks,
Katz
Old 02-23-03, 11:21 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Well it depends how much your budget is on tires?

Bridgestone Turanza LS are good tires. $110 each or somewhere in that range.

Michelins are smooth and quiet but they are always expensive as well.

What's your budget?

Oh by the way if your going to use Tirerack to purchase tires click on the logo through CL please.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-23-03 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-03, 12:45 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Katz,

Forget those Bridgestone Turanza's. They are very hard rubber like Michelins, so they're made for long wear, but they have no warranty. Their "footprint" is very narrow and they don't have a good "siping" ability due to their tread design. They are quiet, but they are terrible in rain & snow, very slippery. I have those Turanza's as original equiptment & am replacing them tomorrow with a superior tire, the Cooper Lifeliner SLE (www.coopertire.com). My out the door cost with mounting, balancing, & tax is $480 on 225/55/VR17's. Your size would be considerably cheaper, depending on where you buy them. I have the same tires on my wife's minivan & it made a world of difference in dry & wet handling, not to mention good traction in snow & extremely quiet. They come with a 50-70k(depending on size & speed rating) warranty too. If anybody is interested, I'll sell my Turanza's that are in almost new condition for $100 for entire set + shipping.
Old 02-23-03, 01:00 PM
katz
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire Advice

I'm nor too concerned with budget, but if I payed more for a tire I would expect a longer tread life. Right?

So how good are those Cooper Tires? will they improve the ride?
Anyone know anyhing about Toyo's or Nitto tires?
Old 02-23-03, 01:06 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Tire Advice

Originally posted by katz
I'm nor too concerned with budget, but if I payed more for a tire I would expect a longer tread life. Right?

So how good are those Cooper Tires? will they improve the ride?
Anyone know anyhing about Toyo's or Nitto tires?
No, just because a tire costs more doesn't mean your getting longer tread life. Usually the cost has to do with the speed rating, traction rating and temp rating not the tread life.

Nitto 460's are good tires. Traction A Temp A. My neighbor has them and they ride nice if that's the ones you are referring to.
Inexpensive tires also which is a plus.

You can also try Dunlop SPORT A2 tires. They got good ratings.
420 tread Traction AA Temp A for 225/60/16 H rated =130mph

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-23-03 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 01:21 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Katz,

Check the Cooper link & you can get a picture of the tread design. You'll notice that the outside shoulder is a closed design which makes for an extremely quiet ride. They are also a softer rubber which will give you better handling on dry roads, & they have a wider "footprint" than most brands. They have wide channels to funnel out rain & snow and cross channels for sipening to help avoid hydroplaning. The V rated tires are warranted for 50k miles, which most mfr's won't due on a tire of that rating. If you're only concerned about really long tread life, go with Michelin's. They use a very hard rubber compound, have a narrower tread design, cost alot more, and perform terribly in rain & snow. They are also considerably louder than the Cooper's. The Cooper's are exactly what you're looking for and they are reasonably priced. Another good performing tire is the Dunlop SP Sport 5000. A very good tire like the Cooper, but not as quiet due to it's open shoulder design.
Old 02-23-03, 01:29 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Here is the cooper tire he is talking about in case you can't find it.

http://www.coopertire.com/tire_coope...ger.asp?id=203
Attached Thumbnails Tire expert advise neeed-lifelinerslehv.jpg  
Old 02-23-03, 04:27 PM
katz
Driver School Candidate

Default Those Cooper tires

Thanks for your input. Everyone has been most helpful but I'm still at a loss on a decision.

I have read many not so nice things about Cooper Tires on Consumer Review and off the WEB. Most customers seem to think they are too loud.
Anyone have any real experience with Toyo Proxes TPT's

Are Dunlops or Yokohamas and the Nittos, good tires to consider? What is evryone else driving on these days?

Anyone out there have a soft riding V rated tire on their LS?

Please advise. Thanks!
Katz
Old 02-23-03, 06:10 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Katz,

All manufacturer's put out some tires that are louder than others, including Cooper Tire. The rubber compound and especially the tread design determines how loud a tire will be. Trust me when I say the Coopers are extremely quiet, the Lifeliner SLEs. They have been out less than 1 year and have garnered much praise, especially from me. A reputable tire shop will give you at least a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like the tires. The tire shop I use gives a 60 day free replacement guarantee. Call around and make sure you get a guarantee before buying, then try the Lifeliners. You definitely won't be sorry. I wouldn't be putting them on my LS430 if I didn't think they were the best.(Damn, maybe I should work for Cooper ).

Last edited by tenpointed; 02-23-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 08:58 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have turanza's on my es 300 and they seem to drive really well, however i have to agree they are a little slippery. and in my part of the country almost impossible to find. had to replace one because i caught a nail were it couldn't be plugged. tire was new to - it sucked. called all over in town and only 1 person had one and he said it was his last and he wasn't getting anymore.

now on my ls 400 i have 2 new dunlop 222/60/16 which i don't really car for much. the seem very loud.

on the back i have yoko, these seem to last longer and are quite but bald easily.

kind of stuck now since i need to new tires and guess will have to get dunlop to match the others i dont like

or i guess i could get 2 totally different tires to replace the back????

would that be a bad thing?
Old 02-23-03, 09:20 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Actually I have Dayton not Dunlop tires on the front. Sorry just bought this car 3 days ago. I guess Dayton tires are OK?
Old 02-23-03, 09:28 PM
tenpointed
Banned

spx,

You should always have 4 of the exact same kinds of tires on your car. It can get dangerous to have different brands on different wheels, especially in inclement weather. Any reputable tire shop will confirm this.
Old 02-23-03, 09:37 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Yes, I agree, I just bought this 93 LS 3 days ago and this is what they had on them. 2 new dayton on front and 2 used yoko's on the back. are the dayton good enough to buy 2 for the back or should i get all new 4 of some other brand?
Old 02-23-03, 09:42 PM
tenpointed
Banned

I've never heard of Dayton tires, so I can't tell you if they are any good or not. Sorry
Old 02-23-03, 10:23 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

lol - sorry i'm an idiot. here is what i have:

On Front 90% Tread Left:
Daytona HR
p225/ 60 R16
97H M+5

Treadware 400
Traction A
Temperature A

On Back 20% Tread Left:
Yokohoma S305
p225/ 60 R16
97H M+S

Treadware 340
Traction A
Temperature A

Hope that is better. Are they Daytona worth keeping or are the cheap tires I should just get 4 new since the back need to be replaced?

Is higher Treadcount better? And rating of A is better than B,C,D ect?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Tire expert advise neeed