LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to remove sunvisor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 02:39 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default How to remove sunvisor?

It's a 1990 LS400. Most sunvisors have screws holding them on, this looks like it goes through the head liner. ? How come there isn't a recall for sunvisors that won't stay in position?
Old 07-20-14, 03:00 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

they have screws, just do a search and you can find out how to uncover them that is what the "stickys" are for,,,
Old 08-20-14, 01:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I've searched like crazy. It seems that no one knows how to do it.
Old 08-20-14, 04:02 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Just pop the cover off the part that connects the visor to the roof and there are 2 screws beneath it.
Old 08-21-14, 04:14 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Its a 1990 and there is no cover. Its the whole rod that goes through the headliner, there are no screws visible
any other good ideas?
Old 08-21-14, 03:57 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

you just dont understand..... he told you how.
Old 08-24-14, 12:25 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

No I don't understand, that is why I'm asking. A photo would be helpful. The car is not here its a step kid car, and the shaft has no cover around it. There is a hole through the head liner no cover just head liner. To see where the shaft goes would require pealing the head liner down some how. Is the head liner the cover your talking about?
Old 08-24-14, 01:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

iirc it unscrews from the visor side, not the headliner side.
Old 08-24-14, 04:55 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
No I don't understand, that is why I'm asking. A photo would be helpful. The car is not here its a step kid car, and the shaft has no cover around it. There is a hole through the head liner no cover just head liner. To see where the shaft goes would require pealing the head liner down some how. Is the head liner the cover your talking about?
Dicer, it is us who didnt understand, based on the quality of a LS400, we couldnt understand how Lexus could do such a thing.... 1990 is different, like PD said, it unscrews out of the headliner, I dont even know how to tell you how to do it... the photo below is the only one I could find and had to blow it up.. I hope this helps.... sorry we picked on you,,, there are no SCREWS to remove... I recommend you go to a dealer and LOOK at one so you can see for yourself what you are up against.... have you looked on craigslist for a parts car??? might be wise also.. take a photo of it for us.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove sunvisor?-diag_2dammq.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 08-24-14 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 07:31 AM
JM51526
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to know this, too. The only flaw in my interior is split vinyl on one of the visors, and looking at it gives no clue how to remove it without damage.
Old 08-24-14, 01:33 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Since I can't tell a thing looking at that picture, I'm guessing that is a circlip or something like that. Has anyone here actually removed one? Logically thinking there is no way it would or could unscrew from the head liner. The visor would have to come off the rod that it swivels on, and that rod would have to be short enough that it wouldn't hit anything as it is screwed out. The parts picture looks like the rod may snap into something up in that hole, and maybe a good tug or tap with a slide hammer will pull it out. There is no way it could be a deal where you have to pull down the head liner to access a screw, as there would be no clearance to access said screw.
So it must "snap" into that hole. Anyone know for sure? Where are the lexus techs?

There is nothing online nor does anyone know how to remove them, I would think someone here has done it at some point in time.
Old 08-25-14, 05:31 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

dicer it looks like the header panel has to come off. the clip that holds it on is a E clip and I doubt pull/yank will release it. .
have YOU went to the dealer and ask any questions? ask parts to show you one? or are you just asking us?
Attached Thumbnails How to remove sunvisor?-vis.jpg   How to remove sunvisor?-visor.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 08-25-14 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 02:18 AM
erubin2000
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dicer,
Did you find out how to fix a dangling driver side visor. My 1990 LS400 has the same problem. My visor pivot seems to have a broken snap of some kind. Cant figure out how to get in their to inspect/repair it.
Old 04-16-16, 09:42 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I do know how it is to be tackled though I have not dealt with it yet I have sorta on wrecking yard cars though.
The molding's around the door openings need to come off, as well as the controls for the moon roof and roof lights, the rear view mirror etc. There are 2 screws on each side of that front head liner that are apparent after the plastic moldings are removed. They come out and if memory serves you kind of slide that front head liner back a small amount to disengage with a lip around the moon roof, the visors mount into that front head liner.
Removing the moldings properly is no pick nick, the upper grab handles need to come off and other items that could make things break need to come off in a certain order, maybe it can be worked around but you run the chance of goofing things up. Pretty much all the plastic stuff does just snap in with plastic retainer pins hidden on the underside, and if they break they are replaceable.
Old 04-16-16, 01:57 PM
erubin2000
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Dicer. Final question. I suppose I should go to dealer and see if they have the little plastic parts that are likely broken causing the visor to drop and not stay in place. I should have them on hand when I have the interior apart.

I'd be happy just to yank the whole visor off but my sensitive eyed wife is demanding that she can block the sun in all positions allowed by a well functioning visor. I suppose I can "steal" some parts from the passenger side visor when everything is exposed if I must (not ideal).

No time to drive arround to wrecking yards but happy to buy from online or dealer if price is reasonable (e.g. under $50).

Quick Reply: How to remove sunvisor?