LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP! Fuel Filter Replacement Failure.

Old 07-19-14, 04:35 PM
Toto8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Fuel Filter Replacement Failure.

Hey Guys,

Need help...changed engine oil with front on ramps. Then proceeded to replace fuel filter, following LexLS tutorial. This task is my first time. The drip went way past the 1/8 gallon mentioned on tutorial, so I check it again, and realized I missed the 1st instruction, to remove gas cap. So, I did, but it kept going and was getting high on bucket, so I went into the dripping fuel and tightened nuts. I emptied almost 5 quarts. Gave it another go, loosened nuts, but after another quart, didn't see much decline in drip, so back into drip, more like 3 **** flows to tighten nut, then tightened bracket. Now, I don't know what to do and I'm afraid to start it, as I don't know if I drained all/most of fuel from filter to injectors due to slope. Will the pump fill the lines, so there's no gap before fire up? Is the constant fuel flow out due to front on ramps? I really want to complete this task, but I don't know if I can go thru another 6 quartz of gas messiness. Car has @3/4 tank, if that helps. Also, is it ok for the car to have front on ramps for a few days? Please advise.... Thank You.
Old 07-19-14, 08:52 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Toto8
Hey Guys,

Need help...changed engine oil with front on ramps. Then proceeded to replace fuel filter, following LexLS tutorial. This task is my first time. The drip went way past the 1/8 gallon mentioned on tutorial, so I check it again, and realized I missed the 1st instruction, to remove gas cap. So, I did, but it kept going and was getting high on bucket, so I went into the dripping fuel and tightened nuts. I emptied almost 5 quarts. Gave it another go, loosened nuts, but after another quart, didn't see much decline in drip, so back into drip, more like 3 **** flows to tighten nut, then tightened bracket. Now, I don't know what to do and I'm afraid to start it, as I don't know if I drained all/most of fuel from filter to injectors due to slope. Will the pump fill the lines, so there's no gap before fire up? Is the constant fuel flow out due to front on ramps? I really want to complete this task, but I don't know if I can go thru another 6 quartz of gas messiness. Car has @3/4 tank, if that helps. Also, is it ok for the car to have front on ramps for a few days? Please advise.... Thank You.
You should disconnect the electrical connection to the fuel pump and run the car until it dies before you start removing fuel lines. That relieves the pressure. Opening the gas cap isn't enough. Once you change the filter and reconnect the fuel pump, turn the key on for several seconds without starting the engine. Do that about 3 times to let the pump fill the lines, then start the car.