LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sluggish performance after running for a short time

Old 07-29-14, 09:59 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So today was another hot day and the sluggishness returned. I spoke too soon. I have noticed a performance gain for sure in general by upgrading the injection coils but I'm pretty sure there is something else going on. My mpg still is low.

Still need to check the codes from the ecu. Will probably tackle it this weekend. Anyone have some thoughts on what could be going on?
Old 07-29-14, 11:57 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Did you upgrade the injection coils?

I would check the resistance of the ECT sensor. It should be 322±32 ohm when engine is warmed up. If it's higher than that, the mpg is low and the engine is a bit sluggish.
Old 07-30-14, 05:54 AM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you upgrade the injection coils?

I would check the resistance of the ECT sensor. It should be 322±32 ohm when engine is warmed up. If it's higher than that, the mpg is low and the engine is a bit sluggish.
Sorry Yamae. I replaced. Did not upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check that this weekend.
Old 07-31-14, 08:02 AM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so noticed over the last couple days an additional symptom that may help deduce the issue.

When I'm taking a hard turn onto a side street or otherwise, that's when I most notice the loss in power. And it's very noticeable. I press onto the accelerator expecting X power, and get about X/2 power. I think I'm seeing this happen fairly consistently. Don't have this problem until after the car warms up.

Thoughts? Help!
Old 07-31-14, 08:14 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Check your connections going to both coils. It sound like something is loose.
Old 07-31-14, 08:36 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

cam/crank sensors...
Old 07-31-14, 04:09 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

I went and checked on the ECU to see if it was throwing any codes. Nothing. Consistent flashing, which as I understand it, means no codes.

While I was at it I checked on the connections to the ignition coils that I just replaced, and they look solid (Thanks cobalt91). However, I thought that perhaps the wires need to be replaced in general. I'm pretty sure they are original from 1993, but the car has obviously been garaged for a lot of the time, and well taken care of. The wires look decent from opening up the channel when I was replacing the coils. Could they be causing problems if they aren't showing signs of wear on the outside? Only when heating up? More so on hard turns?

On the Cam/Crank sensors would they go out even with little use? 33K miles doesn't seem like it would affect them.

Someone else suggested it could be a fuel issue. Like a float bowl. I just don't know if there is anything like that in the LS. Another thought is a sock filter in the fuel tank. But then why does it happen more on cornering?

I was really thinking it would be throwing a code. Help?
Old 07-31-14, 05:28 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Did you check the gas tank?
I hope your gas tank is not rusted out.
Old 07-31-14, 06:03 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you check the gas tank?
I hope your gas tank is not rusted out.
I hope not as well... How can I check for that?
Old 07-31-14, 06:40 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Thinking back, when i replaced the fuel filter, there wasn't any sign of rust. The gas flowed clear and had about a half gallon come out. Could it still be a rust issue?
Old 07-31-14, 06:55 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote times * 1000 on the ECT sensor.

I changed mine out a little while back due to very similar issues and it helped significantly on performance of the engine. My ECT was completely shot. The female end attached to the sensor itself was falling off the sensor.

I would check yours out and have a look at the resistance also as per Yamme.
Old 07-31-14, 07:25 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

Well I actually already changed out the ECT sensor about 2 weeks ago. I can check the resistance on the new one as there is a chance I got a dud. That will be another project for this weekend.

Again... why after turns do I lose power on acceleration?
Old 07-31-14, 09:51 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Check the whole harness across the front of the engine. The plastic clips that tie down the harnesses for the coils, cam and crank sensors get brittle with age. If they break this can cause them to rub on the accessory belt and short out.
Old 08-02-14, 10:06 PM
CMDSlick
Driver School Candidate

So I'm heavily leaning toward it being the transmission. When it's getting sluggish, which seems to happen on straight roads or curved, the engine is seemingly fine but there isn't transference of power during this sporadic time. When it occurs, I can put on the brakes and get it into a lower gear and then everything is back to normal it seems. It's almost like it doesn't downshift at points and stays in a higher gear.

Of course this is a guess. When I checked for codes the other day, I didn't check for transmission codes, just engine. Poor oversight on my part. I will check that first and obviously check the fluid levels and smell. Any other thoughts?
Old 08-03-14, 06:27 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=CMDSlick;8650969]
Someone else suggested it could be a fuel issue. Like a float bowl.
QUOTE]
wow..just plain wow
anyways I have heard of the crank sensors acting up on hot days so I threw it out there. but the fact it acts up when u make turns is strange...loose connection somewhere? as stated, good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sluggish performance after running for a short time