LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bad Brembo Rotors (rear)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 10:26 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
You didn't mention this, hence I assumed you were some type of buick owner.

So did you buy the brembo rotors for your year LS or did you buy 2LS rear rotors? I presume you did a front 2LS bbk?
Everything is 2LS - both front and rear rotors, calipers, pads, and the brake lines. Air shields are cut off.

But I don't think that matters so much since all that is holding the rear discs is those five bolts, two little screws and the center hub. If the specs on those are the same both on 1LS and 2LS, then there is nothing to worry about.
I mean - the only way for the disc to be catching so badly on one spot only is if it is not concentric, or if somehow it fits loosely - which I have not noticed.

I would love to be proven wrong and learn something in the process, and I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what I have done wrong, but putting on a rear disc is not exactly rocket science.

The fact that one was catching so badly, while the other was not (although it did have a bit of a burn mark it was nowhere near as bad as the one that was making the noise) and the fact that they were "warehouse special" or whatever Rockauto lists them as (meaning - they are on their way out), lead me to believe that they were trying to get rid of them. They are still available for $17 and few cents...

Now, I am still trying to figure if it is possible that something completely unexpected was done, like, say, someone installed previously bad rear discs and therefore had to adjust rear drums too tight, so when I put in Brembo's with correct inner diameter, they started catching the pads... but even then, it should not be only in one spot.
Or maybe I did not notice that the disc was really loose on the wheel, maybe the center hub is smaller diameter than the Brembo rotor... but all of those are sooooo unlikely.

I still have the bad disc on me, given some extra time I know a metal shop in town here where I will take it for some serious measurements to see if I can get to the bottom of this one.

Last edited by peterls; 07-14-14 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 06:02 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

we sell brembo rotors at work and they are made in china. I had issues with them on 2 cars I put them on. a civic and a corolla. im not sure if there are different divisions or rotor grades brembo has but if yours came in a red box..they are Chinese made..not germany
Old 07-15-14, 08:01 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by python
we sell brembo rotors at work and they are made in china. I had issues with them on 2 cars I put them on. a civic and a corolla. im not sure if there are different divisions or rotor grades brembo has but if yours came in a red box..they are Chinese made..not germany
Mine came in a red box with "made in Italy" on it.
Old 07-15-14, 12:52 PM
peterls
Advanced

Originally Posted by python
Just checked: red box and,drum roll please, it says "Made in China".

I thought Brembo was an Italian company... not Chinese... If I wanted Chinese parts I would go to fleabay or something.
Old 07-15-14, 02:39 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

not sure if brembo has different grade parts or not.
Old 07-15-14, 03:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
Everything is 2LS - both front and rear rotors, calipers, pads, and the brake lines. Air shields are cut off.

But I don't think that matters so much since all that is holding the rear discs is those five bolts, two little screws and the center hub. If the specs on those are the same both on 1LS and 2LS, then there is nothing to worry about.
I mean - the only way for the disc to be catching so badly on one spot only is if it is not concentric, or if somehow it fits loosely - which I have not noticed.

I would love to be proven wrong and learn something in the process, and I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what I have done wrong, but putting on a rear disc is not exactly rocket science.

The fact that one was catching so badly, while the other was not (although it did have a bit of a burn mark it was nowhere near as bad as the one that was making the noise) and the fact that they were "warehouse special" or whatever Rockauto lists them as (meaning - they are on their way out), lead me to believe that they were trying to get rid of them. They are still available for $17 and few cents...

Now, I am still trying to figure if it is possible that something completely unexpected was done, like, say, someone installed previously bad rear discs and therefore had to adjust rear drums too tight, so when I put in Brembo's with correct inner diameter, they started catching the pads... but even then, it should not be only in one spot.
Or maybe I did not notice that the disc was really loose on the wheel, maybe the center hub is smaller diameter than the Brembo rotor... but all of those are sooooo unlikely.

I still have the bad disc on me, given some extra time I know a metal shop in town here where I will take it for some serious measurements to see if I can get to the bottom of this one.
You pretty much ignored the entire emergency brake assembly, which directly interfaces with the rotor.....

My guess is that there's enough of a difference in the 1LS and 2LS emergency brake setups that the 2LS rear rotor isn't fitting properly over the 1LS parking brake.
Old 07-15-14, 04:36 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

but wouldn't this necessitate a different part number between years? according to rockauto, 94 rear rotors are the same as 95 rear rotors; BREMBO 25538.
Old 07-15-14, 05:11 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
but wouldn't this necessitate a different part number between years? according to rockauto, 94 rear rotors are the same as 95 rear rotors; BREMBO 25538.
He's driving a 90, I believe. The Brembos don't work for the 1st gen cars. I think PD is right, the parking brake is incompatible with the 25538s.
Old 07-15-14, 05:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

'89-92 had different brakes front and rear. '93 got a very mild upgrade which included new rear brakes.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 07-15-14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 10:33 PM
peterls
Advanced

OK, I >think< I have this one figured out:

Take a look at pictures which have all dimensions right here:

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...t=13681&page=5

The hub on 2LS is bigger by 2mm both front and rear. I did not notice any play when I was installing the rotors, so I cannot swear that that's the cause of my problems, but for now I will eat my humble pie and try to find a ring that I can put between the hub and the rotor, which should not be too hard. Somewhere in that thread I linked to up there, one of the posters mentions the same problem and says he inserted a piece of sheet metal around the hub to compensate for the difference in diameter.

Those guys are racing the LS in 24 hrs of lemons, so I guess they should know.

As someone's said "assumptions are the mother of all f-ups!" and I assumed that "surely, hubs must be the same diameter, at least they look that way!"
The only things is, I really don't feel like taking my wheels off yet again and going through the pain of finding something to put around the hubs.
Any suggestions? Where could I get such a spacer ring that is exactly the size of the hub and 1mm thick? Should I just get it custom made? Or get a piece of sheet metal and just wrap it around like that guy?
Old 07-16-14, 01:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

or just go back to 1LS rear rotors/calipers. the rear brakes aren't that different.
Old 07-16-14, 12:18 PM
peterls
Advanced

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
or just go back to 1LS rear rotors/calipers. the rear brakes aren't that different.
I was thinking about it, but since there is a difference on fronts as well, where hub is also 2mm bigger on 2LS, I should really do it on fronts too, so I am thinking of just figuring out some sort of a 1mm ring, and sticking it on all four hubs. Either rings, or just find a 1mm thick sheet metal and wrap it around.

Last edited by peterls; 07-16-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 12:50 PM
peterls
Advanced

While looking for some rings, I find this:

http://www.vehicle-bolt-pattern.com/...nce-guide.html

And this:

http://www.wheel-fitment.com/car/Lex...20-%202000%29/

That link I posted earlier from Lextreme is useless (I always thought those guys were really on top of things but I guess I was wrong). I don't know where they got their numbers from, but everywhere I look, I get the same center hub diameter - 60.1mm no matter what model of LS400. Even LS430 has the same center hub diameter.

Can anyone confirm this? Is the 2LS center bore 60.1mm or not?
Alternatively, since I don't have access to my old discs, can someone measure with a caliper what is the diameter of the center bore on your discs - whether 1st gen or 2nd gen, just to compare?
Old 07-16-14, 01:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the hub diameter is NOT the same, as you have already confirmed. never knew about the brake difference from 89-92 and 93-up cars as PD stated. something new to learn!

this is from rockauto.com, a great resource when trying to find similar rotors that work. side note that's how we found out 350z rotors work with acura RL calipers for an old honda accord.

89-92 first pic, 93-up second
Attached Thumbnails Bad Brembo Rotors (rear)-getimage.jpg   Bad Brembo Rotors (rear)-getimage-1-.jpg  
Old 07-16-14, 06:05 PM
peterls
Advanced

the hub diameter is NOT the same, as you have already confirmed. never knew about the brake difference from 89-92 and 93-up cars as PD stated. something new to learn!

this is from rockauto.com, a great resource when trying to find similar rotors that work. side note that's how we found out 350z rotors work with acura RL calipers for an old honda accord.

89-92 first pic, 93-up second
Wow, thank you! So, all those sites that sell wheels and that claim to have correct measurements seem to be wrong?

Quick Reply: Bad Brembo Rotors (rear)