LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I failed emmisons on my 90 LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 05:35 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I failed emmisons on my 90 LS

They claim the cat is bad and guess what.No one carries the cat except the dealer and it costs $901 for each.One mech claimed I have 3 cats and it will cost $700 to $800 and this is an aftermarket product.(universal)
Can someone spare their cat since junkyards cannot sell this item or where can I get a cheap one?It is crazy when it comes to emmision these days.
Old 02-20-03, 10:20 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what state are you in?? when i went through smog check/emissions last year on my 95 ES, i noticed that in one category, i BARELY passed. here in cali i think they measure 3 things, i forget what. somehow i DON'T think you'd have to dish out a few thousand for you to pass. did you get a printout of your emissions test?? what exactly did your car fail??
Old 02-21-03, 02:01 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm

how big is the stock exhaust?

CATCO sells cats from $50-$100

pick up a summit catalog or go to www.summitracing.com

BUT FIRST, try to find a product called "HEET"

put 2 bottles in the gas tank and drive for 30 minutes, then go get your car retested, if it doesnt pass still, come back here, email me, ill help you order 3 new cats for your car, should cost less than $300 to buy them and i dunno how much to install them.. less than $600 for sure..
Old 02-21-03, 05:36 AM
mlevk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey BSP4, haven't seen you for a while on this site.
Remember me ? I bought the upper control arm from you
awhile back.

Try this site for your CATS , direct fit .
Although I haven't bought them my self yet.

http://www.discountconverter.com/con...play_table.cfm
Old 02-21-03, 05:51 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default Re: I failed emmisons on my 90 LS

Originally posted by blkstealthpaid4
They claim the cat is bad and guess what.No one carries the cat except the dealer and it costs $901 for each.One mech claimed I have 3 cats and it will cost $700 to $800 and this is an aftermarket product.(universal)
Can someone spare their cat since junkyards cannot sell this item or where can I get a cheap one?It is crazy when it comes to emmision these days.
Hey Blkstealthpaid4,

I met you at the first CL meet at Rich's. I have a 91 LS400 and it has always had insanely low numbers at emissions. I had it checked two days ago and one of my numbers went way up - the NOx number went from 7 to 100 (still cool, allowable is like 700). The mechanic at the shop I had it checked at said it was most likely the EGR valve. Was this the measurement that you failed on? If so, I think Lvangundy posted directions to swap your own egr valve. You could buy it at Toyota and do it yourself. Not sure how much, but way cheaper than $900 for sure.

Hope that helps,

GA400
Old 02-21-03, 06:32 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I took my 95 SC400 for the emission test two years ago, and in one category I barely passed as well. In March I have to go for the new one, IL every two years, and I wonder how I will do this time. By the way in the other categories car did very good, low numbers.

Last edited by ChrisK; 02-24-03 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 06:36 AM
Lvangundy

sorry guys - the DIY I posted for a valve as the PCV.

EGR is a little more complex, but someday I'd like to know how to intall and reset everything.

The emissions on my car were very low when tested by the previous owner..I dunno about now I'm guessing higher because of the way I drive it.

How often are smogs in CA? 2 years?
Old 02-21-03, 08:28 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lvangundy
sorry guys - the DIY I posted for a valve as the PCV.

Oops, sorry Lee
Old 02-21-03, 10:26 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Are you sure the CATS are bad? OEM cats is about $700 each. I really dont think its the cats. I think the mechanic is trying to make some money on labor. I do have an extra set of cats at home. Please PM me if your are interested.
Old 02-21-03, 10:56 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

I don't have the emmision sheet in front of me but I think the "ppm" etc.. was high and it was around 2200( allowable was I think 1600)eeded a cat.The first fool who failed me said I needed the transducer/regulator moduator(plastic thing with arrows on it and near the egr valve.)I bought it from the dealer and it still failed.Now he tells me to change the cat and clean the egr valve.BTW I am in Ga and emmsion test is soo tough here but I will try the Heet and some other liquid I heard about.How much do you want for all the cats.This might not help but how much would you want for them?
What's going on Ga400?How is your clean 92?
mlevk how are you?I miss you guys but I have laid low for almost a yr now.I barely drive the car and it is kept covered.I will get the sheet from the car tomorrow
Old 02-22-03, 04:51 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default I just went and got the papers from the car and these are the readings

25/25 TEST
READING ALLOWABLE RESULTS
HC-PPM 016 130 PASS
CO-% 0.17 0.83 PASS
NO-PPM 1813 0906 FAIL
RPM 1967 0000-2500 PASS
CO+C02% 14.9 6.0MIN PASS

THE OTHER READING WAS THE 50/15 TEST
THE ONLY FAILED SECTION WAS THE SAME NO-PPM READING WHICH WAS 1743 AND ALLOWABVLE WAS 0990

I am thinking about changing my addresse to a no emmison county like Newton county and get tags from there.I had the same problem with my dodge grand caravan but it passed after my mech told me to drive it for a while since it had been sitting.
This Lexus has always failed since I got it.
I am not even sure if "Heet" or the "pass emmison" liquids will help.I checked out the discount cat. etc.. website and they want at least $500 for all the cats.Installation will still put me at $700 and the cat maybe not be the problem since i changed the modulator and that didn't help.
BTW I live in ga.
Old 02-22-03, 06:10 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Question Time to ask the techs, I think

I would suggest you pm VVT-i or Devil Dog for their opinion on the overall readings and what they would recommend. You could also go to ozzi's web site and e-mail him ( www.ozzis.com ), asking what he recommends. Do you have the stock muffler system? I can't remember if you had modified the exhaust system. By the way, the reading you failed was the NOx reading, just like mine that went way up this year. The mechanic at the place I went to said it was most likely egr valve, should be a diy fix.

But, hey, if you have relatives or friends in Newton county...... you definitely won't be the only one doing that. My neighbors still have Texas tags and they have lived in Gergia for over four years......
Old 02-22-03, 09:19 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

You could put in some additives,as some have advised.Can't hurt.I always give my vehicles,an Italian tune up just before going for the test.You shouldn;t run 150 on the public roads.Just use a lower gear and keep the revs up for awhile.5 miles or so.This may clean it up.Let all of use know what it was after you locate the problem.Good luck.Michael
Old 02-22-03, 01:12 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe good term..

yea it is pretty good usually, atleast on my other car, to maybe drive around in 3rd or 2nd gear for awhile, maybe turn OD off on the highway for 10 minutes, make sure those cats are hot hot and fired off nice and good before you go in.
Old 03-10-03, 04:23 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Here is mine. Illinois, 95 SC400 PASSED

Test Reading Standard (all in grams)
HC 0.325 0.337
CO 2.333 19.228
CO2 653.100 N/A
NOX 0.896 N/A

I still believe the HC is too close, buy hey I have 2 years not too worry about it. Your thoughts.

Quick Reply: I failed emmisons on my 90 LS