LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Line Routing (for paddle valves)

Old 06-25-14, 04:13 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air Line Routing (for paddle valves)

This is an oddly-specific question, I know, but I'm trying to figure out how to route the air lines through my car (UCF20) for paddle valves (where the actual height adjustment switch is the valve) so I'm hoping someone with paddle valves could chime in on how they routed the lines for their air setup.

My valves will be located in the ash tray spot (picture below for reference):

So if anyone could offer input on how they routed their lines, I would appreciate it <3
Old 06-25-14, 04:48 PM
Caniac14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my main air line I routed it out of the tank, through the carpet liner in the trunk, through the left side of the wall, down the seats, down the driver side doors under the clip-on panel things, then under the carpet and under the dash, and finally into the space behind the ash tray. I can't quite remember how we lined the outgoing lines up though. I only have two paddles anyways though, one for front, one for rear (if you have a bag on coil setup like me there's no need for four as you can perfectly adjust the height on all them with coil tools and a tape measure.)

Last edited by Caniac14; 06-25-14 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-25-14, 04:50 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Caniac14
For my main air line I routed it down the driver side doors under the clip-on panel things, then under the carpet and under the dash, and finally into the space behind the ash try
Yeah, that's my plan for the supply line as well. Essentially one line, then have it split off into 4, right before the paddle valves. I'm having trouble figuring out how to go from there to each of the wheels
Old 06-25-14, 05:07 PM
Caniac14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we only ran two lines out and then T'd them off to the different wheels. I know that, I just don't know how/where we ran them.
Old 06-25-14, 06:52 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i would not run a T, independent control is always best.

the valve feed should be pretty straighforward. you should have one line running to all 4 paddle feeds. it's the individual bag feed that gets tough. running to the rear bags should be basic, from the center console back and under the carpet to the trunk then pass through the ABS sensor lines as i did on my air suspension install.

the front is a different story. you can try to run the air lines via the wire harness across from the front tires; the same spot i used to run my power wire in my air suspension install. there should be a similar harness on the other side of the car.
Old 06-25-14, 08:23 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i would not run a T, independent control is always best.

the valve feed should be pretty straighforward. you should have one line running to all 4 paddle feeds. it's the individual bag feed that gets tough. running to the rear bags should be basic, from the center console back and under the carpet to the trunk then pass through the ABS sensor lines as i did on my air suspension install.

the front is a different story. you can try to run the air lines via the wire harness across from the front tires; the same spot i used to run my power wire in my air suspension install. there should be a similar harness on the other side of the car.
I'm running independent wheel control (part of why my setup isn't really budget anymore lol). Alrighty, guess rear lines are covered then! Much love timmy0tool <3 That leaves the fronts. Originally, I wanted to run the wire through the A/C grommet on the passenger side, but then it dawned on me that I had no idea what to do to get to the driver's side from there.
Old 07-09-14, 09:55 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

So can anyone comment on the distance between the center console (let's say the radio) and the rear trunk "wall"? Basically going to run 4 lines down the middle through the trunk wall, and into the trunk itself, then go from the rear ABS grommets unless someone else can comment on running lines on the fronts.
Old 07-09-14, 11:08 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to use the harness grommet like timmy and I used for the power supply. And last i checked there is one on the passenger side as well.

i'm assuming you are going to use ⅜" line as the main feed and ¼" from the paddles to the bags. it will be infinitely easier to route the ¼" line through the cabin than ⅜".

personally, i'd set it up like this...
rears go under the centre console and the to either side of the rear bench and up through the harness covers back to the ABS grommets.
The fronts would go back around the upper edge of the carpet in the front wells and out the grommets on either side to the front bags.

simple.
Old 07-10-14, 12:03 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
You should be able to use the harness grommet like timmy and I used for the power supply. And last i checked there is one on the passenger side as well.

i'm assuming you are going to use ⅜" line as the main feed and ¼" from the paddles to the bags. it will be infinitely easier to route the ¼" line through the cabin than ⅜".

personally, i'd set it up like this...
rears go under the centre console and the to either side of the rear bench and up through the harness covers back to the ABS grommets.
The fronts would go back around the upper edge of the carpet in the front wells and out the grommets on either side to the front bags.

simple.
I'm using a 1/4" line all the way through for consistency (in other words, extremely slow lol). When you say "upper edge of the carpet" could you elaborate there? I think I know what you're saying, but I'm not 100%. Other than that, this idea seems VERY doable. Just the space constraints might prove for an entertaining time routing the lines. Oh yeah, I got my gauge panel done today

Due to the total lack of space in the ash tray location for the gauges, I've come up with the following:
Attached Thumbnails Air Line Routing (for paddle valves)-lineroutediagram.png