LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 01:00 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schramm
Hmm... I test drove a 98 LS400 with high performance Michelin Super Sport P235/40R18 Z rated tires on OEM Lexus alloy wheels (originally for another Lexus vehicle). Handling had a noticeably sportier feel with aggressive driving. The ride was more firm, but still comfortable on the highway. Road noise was slightly higher. Wheel circumference was very close to original size so the speedometer was only off by <2% at 70 mph. However, the car still had all OEM struts and springs which are tuned for 16" wheels at 60 aspect ratio. Awesome tires, but I still prefered the OEM configuration on my own LS400. My point is that if you want to change wheel size, I think it best to also change the struts and springs to something specifically tuned for the different wheels/lower aspect ratio. You may want to research OEM 17" wheel options for the LS430, OEM size P225/55R17 with identical bolt pattern. That will only throw speedometer off by +.3 mph at 70mph. More importantly, it will open the door for more availability of higher performance summer tires, i.e. higher AA temp rubber compound and stiffer tread block design, higher speed rating options with inherently stiffer sidewalls. Keep in mind, larger wheels with stiffer suspension will increase road noise and wear tires out faster.

I see you are in QC. In MN we have very harsh winters, so I purchased a second set of wheels and snow tires. Makes a vast difference. For non winter use, I am looking for a more strict summer tire than say Michelin MXV4 all season tire. They do not even make the MXM4 in this size. Sad. Unfortunately there are very few performance summer tires available in the P225/60R16 97V rate size; still waiting for the Michelin Primacy 3 to come out in the US in this size.
I like the OEM LS430 idea!

The plan is that this car won't run in winter, I want to keep it clean so ill use our minivan that is already rusted and when spring comes Ill get my toy out.

This weekend I took the car to a wedding (hour drive), so installed the GPS and to my surprise the speedo displayed 3mph slower than the actual speed. My GPS speed reference is good, well it's the same as the police radar who issued me a ticket, so it's the one that matter lol. Ill look at the tires, but last I checked they were the right size for the car and pressure was ok. I've read about bad cap in the cluster but the people affected seem to had higher difference on the meter. Any other idea? can this be calibrated?
Old 07-07-14, 01:29 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a lot if not all toyota speedo's show 3mph faster than actual speed. My 2 LS400's and my Scion Xb are all off by 3mph with proper oem spec tires
Old 07-07-14, 05:39 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by omarg
I think a lot if not all toyota speedo's show 3mph faster than actual speed. My 2 LS400's and my Scion Xb are all off by 3mph with proper oem spec tires
Yeah I'm used to that on my wife Yaris, problem is it's the other way around with the Lex and will get me in trouble.
Old 07-10-14, 07:59 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Ok took my bike yesterday to go to work and when I got back I had a note in the windshield saying that sorry for the damage with his contact info. So driver fender, bumper and lights are damaged. At first I was pissed, but now I see this as an opportunity.

Do I have it fix and repaired the same color, have it all repaint a different color (pay the difference for the extra work) ? My long term goal was to change the color but still don't know which one, wrap it later then?

The repair work will be paid by the insurance company so it's also depend on how I can get the shop to work the paper on their side for the color change.
Old 07-10-14, 04:01 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lchouinard
Ok took my bike yesterday to go to work and when I got back I had a note in the windshield saying that sorry for the damage with his contact info. So driver fender, bumper and lights are damaged. At first I was pissed, but now I see this as an opportunity.

Do I have it fix and repaired the same color, have it all repaint a different color (pay the difference for the extra work) ? My long term goal was to change the color but still don't know which one, wrap it later then?

The repair work will be paid by the insurance company so it's also depend on how I can get the shop to work the paper on their side for the color change.
Damaged cars are never like new again. I would pressure the insurance company into replacing everything on the front drivers side. But to answer your question:

With wraps being the cheaper alternative and easily removable by comparison, its a nice option to have in the pocket. Problem is, the damage (depending on how talented the collision shop is) may limit, if not completely eliminate, your "wrapping" options.

Might as well get her painted since they're fixing it.
Old 07-10-14, 07:21 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
Damaged cars are never like new again. I would pressure the insurance company into replacing everything on the front drivers side. But to answer your question:

With wraps being the cheaper alternative and easily removable by comparison, its a nice option to have in the pocket. Problem is, the damage (depending on how talented the collision shop is) may limit, if not completely eliminate, your "wrapping" options.

Might as well get her painted since they're fixing it.
Even with only this level of damage a wrap is problematic?

New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-damage.jpg
Old 07-10-14, 09:34 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

ok so little more work has been done tonight, replaced the 2 hood lift and changed the coolant temperature sensors.

Used a deep 19mm socket as recommended and it work like a charm. The green connector on the old sensor was broken so this wasn't for nothing.

Also got today my caps for the ECU.
Old 07-11-14, 06:56 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

The other night I decided to clean the radiator

Here's what it look liked (already started to clean it)
New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-dirty.jpg

So I needed a tool to get to shop vac in there, so I went to the dollar store to find something I could use

This is what I got
New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-dollarst.jpg

and made this
New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-tool.jpg

And this is the end result
New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-clean.jpg

Idle temp went from 94-95 deg to 83-85 so it's almost 10deg less
Old 07-12-14, 10:26 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Even with only this level of damage a wrap is problematic?

Attachment 335373
well that doesnt need much attn at all. I thought the damage was substantial. Fenders tend to collapse very easily when hit so I thought... whatever NVM. After you get that fixed, go for the wrap if thats what suits you.

My personal preference would be to get her painted. Not that there are more fancier looking color combos/options, its just that IMHO, a great paint job trumps anything else available. Wrap is cheaper, can look as good as any OEM paint job and even as good as custom paint jobs. If you're looking for something simple, get the wrap, looking for some complicated pearl, gold flake, 10 coat, blah blah blah job, then painting is obviously gonna look better.. For a ginormous amount of money..

Long story short, get the wrap unless you want to brag and stand out with an empty wallet.
Old 07-27-14, 05:00 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

OK well I guess I'm bad lucked bc I got hit in the back (passenger side) coming out of the shopping center... another 1000 in damage... so at this point ill need to talk to the body shop to see how much more they will charge me for a full paint.

Today I decided to remove the back seat, Lexls only had a tuto for 1st gen, so I've spent lots of time to figure out how to get the bottom part out. Also discovered that I had water infiltration by 2 of the bolts.Now can anyone point me on how to remove the top part of the rear deck?
Old 07-27-14, 05:19 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Is there a market for a fully functional Nak system?

Deck,cd changer, amp and subs

New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-sub1.png

New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-sub2.png
Old 07-28-14, 08:23 AM
Schramm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK well I guess I'm bad lucked bc I got hit in the back (passenger side) coming out of the shopping center... another 1000 in damage... so at this point ill need to talk to the body shop to see how much more they will charge me for a full paint.

Today I decided to remove the back seat, Lexls only had a tuto for 1st gen, so I've spent lots of time to figure out how to get the bottom part out. Also discovered that I had water infiltration by 2 of the bolts.Now can anyone point me on how to remove the top part of the rear deck?
I did this recently. You have to fully remove the back seats (lower and rear sections). Some of the upper bolts are hidden behind the headrests and center armrest (flip down), peel back leather flaps to find them. You will need to remove the upper pillar trim that houses the reading lights. Make sure to press the clothes hanger hooks to reveal the hidden screw. See picture below. Remove the lower garnish sections and peel back weatherstrip. Remove a few plastic clips, wiring harness, speaker. Then lift out the rear parcel shelf.

I recommend paying for a subscription to access full technical manuals at site https://techinfo.toyota.com/
Attached Thumbnails New member/owner of a 96 with 86k miles-screenhunter_01-jul.-28-10.43.jpg  

Last edited by Schramm; 07-28-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 12:48 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Thanks!

Do you know if with the 2 day subscription I can printout most of the manuals to use them offline and not have to pay for a full year?
Old 07-28-14, 02:24 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks!

Do you know if with the 2 day subscription I can printout most of the manuals to use them offline and not have to pay for a full year?
Yeah, you can save and print them out. Trouble is, you have to download one file at a time and it takes hours. Then, the files are not organized and you have to spend more hours renaming and arranging them into some kind of order. Pretty much of a nightmare. At least that was my experience. I still haven't finished cleaning up the mess, and I've spent many hours on it. Why they just don't offer one file to download is a good question. I guess they make more money by making your life miserable.