LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How urgent is it that I replace my power steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 03:13 AM
LSnewb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How urgent is it that I replace my power steering rack?

Recently started losing ps fluid which im 99% certain is going in my ps rack boots. I know a leaking pump is urgent to replace as it could ruin your alternator but as long as I top off my fluids and dont notice any issues with my power steering should I be fine to drive with my rack as it is for now until I have the money to buy a new one?
Old 08-13-22, 04:42 PM
DGMD
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless you are monitoring and checking power steering fluid frequently, get it replaced. I had to replace a dead power steering pump because i must have waited to long and all fluid leaked out. Lexus dealers sell remanufactured racks which are about 4-500 and they come with new inner tie rods.
Old 08-13-22, 07:10 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 403 Likes on 312 Posts

You ever have something really important but then life happens and you just forget? Happens to me, happens to you, happens to all of us.

All it takes is one lapse of memory and all of a sudden you've got no power steering going down the highway. And it could (potentially) take out the pump at the same time too. Cavitation in the pump which froths the fluid as the thing tries to pump air, where it then overheats and dies and now you've got two things to replace.

This being said - I understand not everyone has infinite money to do major repairs the moment they're identified.

If it means checking the fluid level every time before you drive the car, that's what it takes to be safe. But to me, if it's a slow leak and there will always be fluid in the system, I don't see any reason why you can't limp it along until you're able to get it fixed.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 08-13-22 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-13-22, 10:49 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by LSnewb
Recently started losing ps fluid which im 99% certain is going in my ps rack boots. I know a leaking pump is urgent to replace as it could ruin your alternator but as long as I top off my fluids and dont notice any issues with my power steering should I be fine to drive with my rack as it is for now until I have the money to buy a new one?
If you're not 110% certain don't assume it's the rack.
EVERY 400 suffers from PS issues but the rack is rarely the culprit. Leaks are generally either the pump or the ACV. Replacing an OE rack with a rebuilt unit is asking for trouble.
Due diligence is your friend.
Old 08-19-22, 11:52 AM
LSnewb
Rookie

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
You ever have something really important but then life happens and you just forget? Happens to me, happens to you, happens to all of us.

All it takes is one lapse of memory and all of a sudden you've got no power steering going down the highway. And it could (potentially) take out the pump at the same time too. Cavitation in the pump which froths the fluid as the thing tries to pump air, where it then overheats and dies and now you've got two things to replace.

This being said - I understand not everyone has infinite money to do major repairs the moment they're identified.

If it means checking the fluid level every time before you drive the car, that's what it takes to be safe. But to me, if it's a slow leak and there will always be fluid in the system, I don't see any reason why you can't limp it along until you're able to get it fixed.
Thanks for the honesty. The fluid level is starting to get low however the last time I took it to the shop they put in an orange atf fluid and all I have is the red dextron recommended atf fluid. Should it be ok to top off the orange atf thats in there now with my red atf fluid?
Old 08-19-22, 11:58 AM
LSnewb
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
If you're not 110% certain don't assume it's the rack.
EVERY 400 suffers from PS issues but the rack is rarely the culprit. Leaks are generally either the pump or the ACV. Replacing an OE rack with a rebuilt unit is asking for trouble.
Due diligence is your friend.
Of course. Im not going to replace anything without being 100% sure first but the bottom of both rack boots are visibly wet. But yes the acv is on my list for things to check as well.
Old 08-19-22, 12:23 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Thanks for the honesty. The fluid level is starting to get low however the last time I took it to the shop they put in an orange atf fluid and all I have is the red dextron recommended atf fluid. Should it be ok to top off the orange atf thats in there now with my red atf fluid?
Oh great now there are different kinds of fluids mixed in there. That won't be good for the longevity of the pump if that isn't where the leak is. I would only refill with Toyota Red ATF fluid aka what should be in there.

Side note: Are you sure they didn't put coolant in the thing? Transmission fluid should be red, virtually across the board, which is what our power steering pumps requires.

Other cars require actual power steering fluid to be put into their power steering pump, strange I know. But PS fluid is also red... so I have no idea where "orange" is coming from.

Orange says coolant to me. Has anyone ever heard of orange PS or ATF fluid? Is it actually orange or just red tinted a weird color because of a dirty revivor?

None of this really changes the facts - put the recommended fluid in. And on second thought, take it to another shop and get a 2nd opinion on what fluid is actually in there... you may need to drain & fill it with the correct stuff if it actually is orange coolant in there, presuming the PS pump even lives long enough to drive to that shop.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 08-19-22 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-19-22, 01:07 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Oh great now there are different kinds of fluids mixed in there. That won't be good for the longevity of the pump if that isn't where the leak is. I would only refill with Toyota Red ATF fluid aka what should be in there.

Side note: Are you sure they didn't put coolant in the thing? Transmission fluid should be red, virtually across the board, which is what our power steering pumps requires.

Other cars require actual power steering fluid to be put into their power steering pump, strange I know. But PS fluid is also red... so I have no idea where "orange" is coming from.

Orange says coolant to me. Has anyone ever heard of orange PS or ATF fluid? Is it actually orange or just red tinted a weird color because of a dirty revivor? None of this really changes the facts - put the recommended fluid in.
No, never. The only Orange is coolant. Dex-Cool. I hated it when GM started using it back in the 90s. My kid had a Cavalier with it and it turned into this gooey, almost powdered stuff which clogged everything in the cooling system, no fluid in it at all. I told her "just drive it til it dies." It never did, she put on almost 50K miles like that. (maybe it is good ) Literally, the strangest thing I ever saw.
All ATF is red. The only other color I've seen was brown, when it was old and burnt.
If anyone put something orange in your PS I'd be scared to go back there.

Old 08-19-22, 01:24 PM
LSnewb
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
No, never. The only Orange is coolant. Dex-Cool. I hated it when GM started using it back in the 90s. My kid had a Cavalier with it and it turned into this gooey, almost powdered stuff which clogged everything in the cooling system, no fluid in it at all. I told her "just drive it til it dies." It never did, she put on almost 50K miles like that. (maybe it is good ) Literally, the strangest thing I ever saw.
All ATF is red. The only other color I've seen was brown, when it was old and burnt.
If anyone put something orange in your PS I'd be scared to go back there.
Yeah thats weird. It was a pepboys that did it around a month ago so I didnt think much of it at the time. I just checked it again and it kinda has a greenish tint to it but when i wipe the dip stick on a paper towel its clearly orange. I’ll call them tomorrow to get clarification on what it is.
Old 08-19-22, 01:44 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Wait, this was a month ago?

Did the leak happen before or after they filled up this orange stuff into the PS...
Old 08-19-22, 01:48 PM
LSnewb
Rookie

Wait, this was a month ago?

Did the leak happen before or after they filled up this orange stuff into the PS...
No the rack leak is a separate problem I had before its just worse now because they replaced my leaking pump
Old 08-20-22, 10:49 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Yeah thats weird. It was a pepboys that did it around a month ago so I didnt think much of it at the time. I just checked it again and it kinda has a greenish tint to it but when i wipe the dip stick on a paper towel its clearly orange. I’ll call them tomorrow to get clarification on what it is.
When was your last eye exam, are you color blind?
Now ya see green in there? Maybe they put some kind of sealer, which might look orange to you, to try to stop any leaks ya have.
Green, orange, yellow, purple, (or now even red) I would do a flush and refill with the correct "red" ATF so you know for a fact it's the right stuff.