Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bad Water Pump, or Water Inlet?

Old 07-10-14, 03:13 PM   #16
Doc Yota
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Update

Well its been a couple weeks and the leak has slowed to a non concerning occasional drip. I am still keeping a close eye on it but I am starting to think bleeding the system may have helped or possibly a pressure related issue with the water/coolant concentration being incorrect. I have to say when I flushed with water and ran straight water with dye to find the leak the leak was constant and that seems strange to me. In any event I am uneasy with a coolant leak disappearing for no reason. If anyone has a theory about this strange occurrence feel free to post up. Thanks again for your reply's. Every little bit helps.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Doc Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-14, 10:03 PM   #17
Doc Yota
Driver

Default Final Update

Apparently the disappearance of the leak was just the calm before the storm. Today when I returned home(luckily)I heard an assortment of crunching/clanging noises and coolant just a dripping out at an amazing pace. Water Pump Dead. I may tackle the TB/WP myself god knows I have the tools and I am no stranger to working on cars. Just need to find the tutorial for the 99LS.

NEVER OVERHEATED ONCE...CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???!!!
Old 07-17-14, 10:24 PM   #18
aptoslexus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Yota View Post
Apparently the disappearance of the leak was just the calm before the storm. Today when I returned home(luckily)I heard an assortment of crunching/clanging noises and coolant just a dripping out at an amazing pace. Water Pump Dead. I may tackle the TB/WP myself god knows I have the tools and I am no stranger to working on cars. Just need to find the tutorial for the 99LS.

NEVER OVERHEATED ONCE...CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???!!!
Picture tutorial:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/landar...7622883357340/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/landar...7622886015670/
aptoslexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 07:02 AM   #19
python
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)

the reason it did that is because the red coolant tends to cake up,once it starts a slow leak it can and will dry to a crust(had it happened to me) and if its not bad enough u aren't going to see it until it gets worse. also a water pump failing because of a leak wont cause the car to over heat...the car over heats when theres not enough coolant in the system to do its job. the only way a water pump will cause a car to over heat is if the impeller disintegrates and cant circulate the fluid...or if the belt isnt running it obviously. btw I went through 3 aftermarket pumps before I went to the dealer and purchased one there...save urself the headache and just pony up for the one from the dealer.
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 12:31 AM   #20
Doc Yota
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
the reason it did that is because the red coolant tends to cake up,once it starts a slow leak it can and will dry to a crust(had it happened to me) and if its not bad enough u aren't going to see it until it gets worse. also a water pump failing because of a leak wont cause the car to over heat...the car over heats when theres not enough coolant in the system to do its job. the only way a water pump will cause a car to over heat is if the impeller disintegrates and cant circulate the fluid...or if the belt isnt running it obviously. btw I went through 3 aftermarket pumps before I went to the dealer and purchased one there...save urself the headache and just pony up for the one from the dealer.
Well Python, I have had this service done on my old 98LS and just recently on my 02 LS430 both at the dealership so I agree with you 100% when it comes to dealer parts for this job. When I bought this 99LS the big selling point was the TB/WP were just replaced and the individual gave me the old parts when I purchased(79,000 miles on the clock at purchase)but I can't be sure if OEM parts were used. As far as the no overheating issue, at least twice while trying to hunt the leak I had to refill a little more than 2 gallons of coolant after driving in this Texas heat with a/c running in stop and go traffic and the temp never moved from the "normal" position. When I initially noticed the leak I had just come off a 200 mile trip from Louisiana and like always I check fluids before and after I get on the road. System was full before I left, but bone dry when I got back to Texas once again stop and go traffic I dealt with in both locations with a/c...still didn't overheat. With no puddle under the car the next morning I could only assume from the rate of leakage that the system was dry for most of the trip back to Texas since I had to replace about 2.5 galloons that morning. I recently changed the coolant temp sensor so I know the gauge works fine. I just thought that was amazing. And thanks for the photos Aptoslexus I appreciate that my friend.....

Last edited by Doc Yota; 07-19-14 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: needed to add something
Old 07-19-14, 12:31 AM

Tags
bad, ls400, lx450, pump, water