LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My next unnecessary modification

Old 06-24-14, 09:44 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TMAdash1
All the listings I saw some would say 95-00 and others would say 98-00, and some even both in the same ad! If you go to LexLS and look at the evolution of the LS the 98 model year states:

- Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to find a 98+ and compare
Right. Or just buy them based on the sellers' description and if they don't work out - send them back. I can't count how many times I made purchases which turned out to be useless either because my research was off or the sellers' description was not accurate. Sounds like a hassle but that's the online shopping world, right?
Old 06-24-14, 09:54 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Correct. I'm a bit vague on the CVC for permissible side lighting so best to check it before the LEO's start a discussion with you. Looks good.
Yup, it prob will be a matter of time before I catch the eye of a bored city cop or CHP officer. Guess I'll first have to try to explain why I am running w/o a front plate and then the light discussion.
Old 06-24-14, 09:59 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i would think these would work on a 95-97 car too. and yes the puddles might cause a problem with law enforcement if they are too bright but with your silver paint i don't think they will be obvious. great great job!
You're right, from a distance they are not very noticeable with enough ambient light. Now if I were the only vehicle on a dark street...? If it turns into an issue I'll just wire them to the door panel courtesy lights.
Old 06-24-14, 12:28 PM
tsxnbp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
You're right, from a distance they are not very noticeable with enough ambient light. Now if I were the only vehicle on a dark street...? If it turns into an issue I'll just wire them to the door panel courtesy lights.
Thank you for the install write up...great job! I have a set of winker mirrors to be installed too so perfect timing!

Although door courtesy lights would work but I believe the puddle lights are supposed to be wired to the foot well courtesy lights so they turn on when you open the door to provide lighting on the ground and turn off with a slight delay after you close the door. At leas that is the way I plan to wire mine.
Old 06-24-14, 12:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

i wonder if this is the same style you bought.. I looked for some for my GS and the ones i found are actual mirror cover replacements not caps...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321431249116
price seems reasonable.. Did you use wire taps for the install into the turn signal? i know nothing about wiring...

thanks
Old 06-24-14, 02:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Did you use wire taps for the install into the turn signal? i know nothing about wiring...
post #18 shows he used parallel taps for the turn signal. it might be wise not to tackle something like this if wiring isn't your strong suit.
Old 06-24-14, 09:59 PM
tientony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soo cool I wanted to do this
Old 06-25-14, 11:55 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tsxnbp
Thank you for the install write up...great job! I have a set of winker mirrors to be installed too so perfect timing!

Although door courtesy lights would work but I believe the puddle lights are supposed to be wired to the foot well courtesy lights so they turn on when you open the door to provide lighting on the ground and turn off with a slight delay after you close the door. At leas that is the way I plan to wire mine.
True. But if you wired them to the door panel courtesy light (thinking back - I prob. should have done this) you can keep all your wiring inside the door panel. I am assuming the "foot" lights wiring is around the fuse box area or behind the plastic kick panel. Might be difficult to access? Either way, good luck.
Old 07-30-14, 01:12 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
i bought those same mirrors from the same guy. I told him i didn't want them if he couldnt ship them to me pre-painted. He said he would look for my oem paint color and get back to me. But i already paid him. If he hasn't replied to me in another week, i'll be filing a dispute through paypal. yessiree bob. excellent writeup, ill be sure to print it out and give it to the mechanic @ the garage
Did you ever get your mirrors?
Old 07-30-14, 02:27 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get your mirrors?
Sure did. Painted to match almost perfect. The color is perfect but there is some weirdness in a couple spots. Upgraded as well to the little chrome strip turn signal. See pics.

My next unnecessary modification-qqiiv95.jpg
My next unnecessary modification-t28bown.jpg
Old 07-30-14, 07:32 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
Sure did. Painted to match almost perfect. The color is perfect but there is some weirdness in a couple spots. Upgraded as well to the little chrome strip turn signal. See pics.

Yea, those look great Now the challenge will be to keep them looking that way after the install. Have you "test fired" them? Wondering what that chrome strip is supposed to do.
Old 07-31-14, 04:31 AM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Yea, those look great Now the challenge will be to keep them looking that way after the install. Have you "test fired" them? Wondering what that chrome strip is supposed to do.
Not yet. I think the chrome strip is just aesthetic. The design of the turn signal is different from yours but I think it's all aesthetic. We'll see when I get these babies installed. Probably in the next week or so.
Old 07-31-14, 01:27 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Seems these mirrors are no longer available.
Old 07-31-14, 02:19 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
Seems these mirrors are no longer available.
autosignalparts.com Email autosignalparts@gmail.com (George Hou).

He personally emailed me and made sure my transaction went smoothly after they finally found my OEM paint and painted my mirrors. Gotta email them to make sure they get everything right especially if you want the extra chrome strip (they call it a position light). Word to the wise: Paint the mirrors yourself.
Old 07-31-14, 06:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

are those full housings or just covers for the OE housings?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My next unnecessary modification