LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 ls400 fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 03:20 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ls400 fuel issues

So upon driving to work today, my LS started to be unresponsive to the gas pedal, and would not rev up. I kept tapping the gas and it would slowly climb in RPMs but not accelerate very much. It then died out. I also had low oil, so I put in 3 quarts and let her sit for three hours. Returned back to the car and she fired up so I could drive it to work, then letting it sit for another two ours. Went to leave work, and now she won't start again, at all. I've replaced the pump and filter, though I cannot hear it surging after turning over. Almost positive it's a fuel issue (unless ECM). Any way to bypass the pumps relay on this model? And can it possibly be the ECM? Getting a can of starting fluid now to make sure it's a fuel delivery problem. I'll keep an update, thanks.
Old 06-19-14, 03:28 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

ECU is the next possible problem in line after the fuel pump. did you replace the pump bc of this problem, or was there another issue before?
Old 06-19-14, 03:43 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

Replaced the pump prior to a starting problem, but it turned out to be another reason related to an engine relay problem. Anyu way to bypass the pump relay though? I know on the 90-94 it can be done through the engine diagnosis port, haven't found anything on this model yet.
Old 06-19-14, 04:27 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

Okay so I know it's fuel.. Upon spraying starter fluid into the intake she will fire up. Waiting on anyone that may know how to diagnose this models relay? So I can tell before diving into the pump again
Old 06-19-14, 04:32 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Not sure, but I think there is a separate ecu for the fuel pump on your year. Look on the passenger side along the rear quarter panel behind the back seat. I cant remember which thread i saw it in.
Old 06-19-14, 04:39 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, thanks ill take a look as well as browse here for the thread.
Old 06-19-14, 06:47 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

So here's where I'm at. It's not the relay.. Surprisingly found one at Autozone (for a whopping $50) and put that in with no results. Also, I am finding no good leads as to if there even is a fuel pump ecu in the 96's, can't even find any shopping around, and I figured there's no need for one with the relay in place. So it's pretty much down to the pump itself, which I literally replaced a month and a half ago.. But at least it's under warranty. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow.
Old 06-19-14, 07:17 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I replaced my fuel pump I sprung for the denso unit. I no longer trust "bargain" parts. It never works out well.

Last edited by midwest2; 06-19-14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-20-14, 03:05 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

One thing after another.. I solved the fuel issue and got her running by replacing the ECU with a spare one I bought a while ago. So now she's misfiring cylinder 6, and a further obd reading shows it had a history of this misfire? Whatever that may mean, I replaced the passenger coil pack that controls 2 4 6 and 8, and my problem still persists. It's to the point that I'm burning $10 of 93 in about 10-15 minutes. Any ideas here?
Old 06-20-14, 03:34 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

Check engine light blinking as well
Old 06-20-14, 04:31 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by 4hunnit
Check engine light blinking as well
Sounds like your spare ECU has a serious problem judging from the blinking problem. Was it confirmed good before you bought it? I find many of junkyard ECUs are not in good conditions.

Incidentally, how did you fix your fuel problem? Did the spare ECU fix it or did you replace the fuel pump again to a better one?
Old 06-20-14, 04:55 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

Yamae, just put a post on the huge "all my problems fixed" thread about the two ECUs. If you would assess that question, you may just solve all my crazy problems. It is indeed, regarding leaky caps.
Old 06-20-14, 04:56 PM
4hunnit
Driver School Candidate

And the fuel pump was fine, just the ECU causing it
Old 06-20-14, 07:25 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Leaky capacitors damage the board and it is the often case that the board can't be fixed. Replacing them before the leak starts, you can prevent the damage as well as you mostly get the better engine performance as is close to a new.

Aged Nichicon PF(M) and PR(M) capacitors loose the capability to bypass the AC components and cause different problems since the ECU can't work as is designed. I'd recommend to replace them all when aged. The parts cost is only $10. I have seen many people who didn't want to do so and spent big money and his/her energy to fix the car. I don't want to add your name to the list who have wasted a lot.
Old 02-11-21, 05:24 PM
Peach
Driver School Candidate

Sadly, i couldn't find all the capacitors on the list in my country

Originally Posted by Yamae
Leaky capacitors damage the board and it is the often case that the board can't be fixed. Replacing them before the leak starts, you can prevent the damage as well as you mostly get the better engine performance as is close to a new.

Aged Nichicon PF(M) and PR(M) capacitors loose the capability to bypass the AC components and cause different problems since the ECU can't work as is designed. I'd recommend to replace them all when aged. The parts cost is only $10. I have seen many people who didn't want to do so and spent big money and his/her energy to fix the car. I don't want to add your name to the list who have wasted a lot.

Quick Reply: 96 ls400 fuel issues