LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking to purchase 95 LS400 need advice.

Old 06-16-14, 09:24 AM
eastwick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase 95 LS400 need advice.

Im looking to purchase 95 LS400. I saw a posting on craigslist. Ive been looking for LS for a few weeks and this one looks pretty clean.
What you think? Do you thinks its a good price?
Im going today and look at it. What should i countrr offer.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...520157943.html

Your feedback will be appreciated.
Old 06-16-14, 10:49 AM
Turbojohn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eastwick
Im looking to purchase 95 LS400. I saw a posting on craigslist. Ive been looking for LS for a few weeks and this one looks pretty clean.

Nobody will give you much feedback on this......pretty clean counts for a little.........you better know the history or run.... as you could end up spending big money.

Spend some time looking you will be much better for it..........look at the car fax for service records etc......

A 1998-2000 would be a better model choice because of better brakes etc if your going to purchase...I know budget is a concern but looking clean is not best judge of a car...how many owners and how it was serviced it a top priority...the more owners means more neglect...normally
Old 06-16-14, 10:51 AM
Turbojohn
Driver School Candidate

Nobody will give you much feedback on this......pretty clean counts for a little.........you better know the history or run.... as you could end up spending big money.

Spend some time looking you will be much better for it..........look at the car fax for service records etc......

A 1998-2000 would be a better model choice because of better brakes etc if your going to purchase...I know budget is a concern but looking clean is not best judge of a car...how many owners and how it was serviced it a top priority...the more owners means more neglect...normally

Lots of miles to be expected I see........but what work has been done.should have had two belts installed by now and maybe a starter........those two things will amount to well over 2k in cost to repair
Old 06-16-14, 11:07 AM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is clean and if all the service records check out, could last you a while. Normally when you do timing at 180k, its a good idea to replace the front seals. I would look very carefully for leaks, also check where the car is normally parked for any fluids that may have leaked on the ground. I also like to start the car cold. You can listen for some potential problem noises on that initial start up. A lot of times when a car is warmed up, all the "weird" noises go away. Some times. If you can find someone that will let you hold an obd2 scanner, that would help too.

If the car is everything the guy says it is, you'll find it difficult to get him under 4k because he seems to have an attachment to the vehicle as most private owners do. I would hammer him down to 3500 due to the car having 200k. If he says no just tell him that's all you got, give him your number and tell him to give you a call if he changeshis mind. Wait it out.
Old 06-16-14, 11:14 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks and sounds like the guy is reputable... all the maintenance shows to be done...according to him.
You could drop the VIN number in the lexus website to see if there is any dealer info. If he has receipts/proof then that would be nice also.
This is the type of previous owner I look for as I have a greater since of security that the car has been well maintained and cared for...
I too, think 200k will scare most potential buyers, but we know these cars can handle it... I agree with AtlasLS400 though... I'd get him down below $4k and the closer to $3.5k the better. Good luck. Pics look great and the car does look clean. 98+ are my preference but then that is a few more dollars also. It can be hard to find the clean ones that have been well maintained.
Has all the records from current and previous owner... I would not be afraid to pull the trigger on this one.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-16-14, 11:28 AM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also agree to look out for a 98-00. I love my 97 but the hp, Brakes, facelift, and woodgrain steering wheel that you find in the 98-00 are very nice upgrades I want.
Old 06-16-14, 12:56 PM
eastwick
Driver School Candidate

I went out and saw the car. Ill say the car was 9 out 10. He has service record of everything he has done. The only thing i saw is that valve cover are leaking a bit. The car rides real good body is great and interior is flawless. May need brakes soon, and tires. Didnt find any rust on car at all. Ill say the car was great for its age. He didnt want to go lower than 4k. I offered him 3500 but he wasnt budging on the price at all. I told him ill get back to him.
Old 06-16-14, 01:01 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

looks like a great buy at $4k since all the service was done.
Old 06-16-14, 02:16 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree... $4k is not shabby... you can gamble and hold out or pay up front now.
Again, if the color combo and condition appeal to you then you may want to pull the trigger...
But if you're not crazy about the black with tan... then hold out for what you want.
You'll find you're more willing to pay up for what you really want.. and strive for a bigger bargain when it's not exactly what you want.
Old 06-16-14, 03:00 PM
eastwick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
I agree... $4k is not shabby... you can gamble and hold out or pay up front now.
Again, if the color combo and condition appeal to you then you may want to pull the trigger...
But if you're not crazy about the black with tan... then hold out for what you want.
You'll find you're more willing to pay up for what you really want.. and strive for a bigger bargain when it's not exactly what you want.

I dont mine the tan. Im going to try and get him lower if he doesnt want to move then ill pay him the 4k in the mean time ill keep looking for another deal maybe I find a better deal.
Old 06-18-14, 09:29 AM
kcHotRodLs
Driver School Candidate

did you get a chance to deal on it yet? car is in fine shape (looks like) especially if the maint was done as advertised. Good luck w the deal.
I have owned mine for a year and have every bit of 5800 in it w purch price n doing maint myself (w much reading on this site). I haven't even had anyone come look at mine, which I have listed at 4k.... which sucks, cause I have a deal waiting on a black on black 99 that I am in love with.

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/4506705669.html

edit: it would seem he was trying to make it easy for someone to be at 4k, I would offer 3800 n let him pull ya back up to 4, if that price suits you. I played hard ball w mine since the seller had no lookers in 3 weeks and I was able to get it for 3500. but I must say that the car you are looking at, even at higher mileage looks to be in better shape than mine.

Last edited by kcHotRodLs; 06-18-14 at 09:33 AM. Reason: gettin to the point
Old 06-18-14, 09:35 AM
kcHotRodLs
Driver School Candidate

perhaps I should shoot some better pictures... the pics in my add suck n are doing me no favors...
Old 06-19-14, 09:12 PM
ajahearn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Our experience with our 96

it was mostly well maintained, and by that classic of all lines - two old ladiesin La Jolla CA. Unfortunately for us the dealership that worked with them was not very good about following guidelines based on age (car had only 43k in 2010). After we got the car we had all the usual failure items happen (e.g. power steering pump failuire, radio display failed twice, and then we discovered that the timing belt had never been replaced). Good news is that the Lexus service history is very good about what was done - not what should have been done. best of luck.
Old 06-20-14, 06:55 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I went out and saw the car. Ill say the car was 9 out 10. He has service record of everything he has done. The only thing i saw is that valve cover are leaking a bit. The car rides real good body is great and interior is flawless. May need brakes soon, and tires. Didnt find any rust on car at all. Ill say the car was great for its age. He didnt want to go lower than 4k. I offered him 3500 but he wasnt budging on the price at all. I told him ill get back to him.
Double check valve cover leak. I thought mine was leaking in one side so replaced the gasket. Turns out cam seal was leaking and was getting on the side. Fortunately it didnt cost me much because I did the repair myself. Never trust the seller no matter how nice he seems. Looks like a clean car though. At 200k miles all seals should have been replaced.