LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 rear air suspension drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 03:25 AM
lasearcy1
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1990 rear air suspension drop

I looked around and saw different answers for this air suspension question but with the testing I did, it became confusing.

Problem: In "NORMAL" mode, both rear shocks drop about 7 cm (6.8 & 6.5 cm) while the fronts drop 1.5 cm. When in HIGH mode, no discernible drop at any tire is seen overnight. I can accept 1.5 cm as normal overnight drop but I wanted to troubleshoot the rear air shock drop.

NOTE: In each test, I turned off the air suspension switch in the trunk in the toolbox overnight.

Typical solution: Both rear air shocks leak or the line leaks. But how does this explain no leakage when in HIGH mode?

The only way this makes sense to me is if the HIGH mode actually changes the suspension to Firm Spring Rate and cuts off air flow between the main air chamber and the sub-air chamber in the shocks. And the sub-air chamber leaks in both rear shocks and a little bit in the front. In NORMAL mode, the 2 chambers would allow air to pass between them and be in Soft Spring Rate.

From the New Car Features book, The picture shows the 2 air chambers and has this text.

"Each pneumatic cylinder consists of a variable damping force shock absorber containing low–pressure nitrogen gas, a main air chamber and a sub–air chamber that stores compressed air."

The rotary control valve that changes the hydraulic shock absorbers firmness is coupled to the air valve control rod via a gear. The manual goes on to say

"The air valve is rotated by the suspension control actuator, via an air valve control rod, to regulate the amount of air flowing from the main air chamber to the sub–air chamber. The spring rate of the suspension is regulated in two stages as a result."

But I can't find anything in the manuals or online to suggest that the height control does anything to the spring rate control.

Additional information: I just received this 1990 Lexus LS 400 with 120,000 miles and a new engine 19,000 miles ago from my 70+ year old uncle. Fortunately, my uncle is OCD about keeping receipts and all maintenance records for the car were kept. After the engine was replaced at 101,442 in Nov 2003, I have a bill for the right rear shock at 102,390 May 2004 for $773 which leads me to believe it was a used shock (I didn't ask him yet). At 119,491 Aug 2011, the left front shock was replaced for $1889. That price makes me think it was brand new.
Old 06-15-14, 06:05 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

I'd rather think it's a sensor / controller problem including the solenoid. In case of a leak, a car can't keep the height.
Old 06-16-14, 11:22 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree with Yamae, there is only one height sensor for both rear air shocks,if this is faulty it may lead to the problems you are having.
Check the mechanical linkage on the sensor has not seized or broken.
Old 06-16-14, 02:44 PM
lasearcy1
10th Gear

The 1990 Lexus New Car Features Manual says the Height Control on/off switch "prevents compressed air in the pneumatic cylinders from being discharged and thus prevents the vehicle height from dropping." I guess it simply indicates it does not allow the exhaust valve to open for the system. All other leaks are possible.

The manual also seems to indicate there are 4 height control sensors - one at each wheel. If there is only one sensor for both rear shocks, where might it be?

Would this sensor affect the HIGH position, or does the system just go to maximum pressure?
Old 04-14-15, 09:24 PM
lasearcy1
10th Gear

My solution is to replace both rear air shocks (although only the left one really leaks) and all 4 rubber o-rings where the hose goes into the air shock. It turns out that when the car is lowered, the rubber in the air chamber folds over on itself like an "S" that is pushed over. In that lower position, the leak in the left air shock was evident after putting a lot of weight in the trunk after pumping up the air shocks to high.

When the car was in the high position, the rubber air chamber was straight instead of "S" like and it actually plugged the hole sufficiently that if there was not any weight in the trunk, it would look like it maintained the height.

This explains why, when the car was at "normal" height, it always leaked air and dropped to the lowest position. While in the high position, it only dropped sometimes.

I want to replace both air shocks even though only one leaked because the right rear air shock had been replaced with a used air shock and I don't really want to do this job twice. Although it is expensive to be lazy.

Last edited by lasearcy1; 04-14-15 at 09:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lasearcy1:
avhart (04-09-23), paulo57509 (04-09-23)
Old 04-09-23, 08:51 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi there Lasearcy, I was researching this exact problem with my own Celsior and you have come up with an explanation. I was wondering how the rear sus would remain up once I switched it to Hi but drop within minutes in Lo (or Normal) position. Of course I figured it was the shock but I couldn't understand why it wouldn't leak under any condition. May I ask how you figured that out? It was beating me for years...

I guess I will go ahead and replace that shock as soon as I have accumulated some extra cash.
Old 04-12-23, 10:19 AM
lasearcy1
10th Gear

I only figured it out while replacing the shock and doing a visual inspection of the rubber baffle after removal. When the shock is not fully inflated, the rubber baffle collapses into the shock as a sideways "S", and where it bends the most, it has large cracks in the rubber. When it inflates fully, it straightens the rubber baffle out and collapses the cracks so they can't really be seen. It took a long time of tracing the air lines and valves and using dish soap to see if any were leaking. After that, I gave up and just replaced the shock and found it.

so I guess the short answer is the world's oldest solution, visual inspection :-)
The following users liked this post:
avhart (04-12-23)
Old 04-12-23, 12:17 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah I can visualize that. I actually have another shock that I was going to use as a replacement but, of course, its in the extended position and the air bag looks fine. It's virtually impossible to push it in when out of the car to see what goes on when its in that "s" position so I'll have to take the chance. I'm glad you managed to figure it out because it was really driving me crazy lol. Thanks for that.