LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Weird shifting and throttle issues.

Old 05-23-10, 09:57 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird shifting and throttle issues.

This just started happening a couple of days ago. The transmission has been shifting into fourth gear and O/D far too early, by the time I reach 25mph.

If I put the accelerator pedal to the floor it will not downshift and will accelerate very slowly since it's already in a high gear.

The kick-down switch and Power ECT do nothing.

It down-shifts perfectly fine when I brake or slow down and up-shifts smoothly, but way too fast. This doesn't seem to be something to do with the transmission at all. I changed the fluid and filter out a couple of months ago and it has worked flawlessly until now. Disconnecting the battery overnight did absolutely nothing.

What would cause this?
Old 05-24-10, 01:00 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

throttle kick down cable adjustment
Old 05-24-10, 06:33 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
throttle kick down cable adjustment
Duh! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks! But would this cause the car to shift up too fast? I barely depress the accelerator and the car just upshifts immediately usually going through all gears up to 4th within a few seconds.

Oh, and my idle speed is at 1700RPM, ridiculously high. I already replaced the TPS and that did nothing.

Last edited by Sixdown; 05-24-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 08:12 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by Sixdown
Duh! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks! But would this cause the car to shift up too fast? I barely depress the accelerator and the car just upshifts immediately usually going through all gears up to 4th within a few seconds.

Oh, and my idle speed is at 1700RPM, ridiculously high. I already replaced the TPS and that did nothing.
Update. I just spent the last hour trying to figure out the cause of these issues to no avail. I adjusted the throttle cable, messed with the throttle body, plugged a small vacuum leak, checked the air filter and MAF/AFM, removed the battery cable again for an hour, fixed a gasket on the intake hose, and tapped the IAC Valve with a small hammer.

I noticed that once the car warms up there's exhaust smoke coming up from the back of the engine bay. It seems my EGR could be at fault for the high idle then...

Any ideas? The car shifts too fast, drives like crap, and has a ridiculous idle.
Old 05-25-10, 05:01 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Well, since no one really responded, it turned out to be a bad AFM.
Old 05-25-10, 06:08 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

glad you found the problem
Old 05-26-10, 12:09 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Makes perfect sense except for the shifting, glad you updated it.
Old 05-27-10, 05:10 PM
Sixdown
Driver

So it didn't end up being the AFM. The issue went away for a day and then reappeared again. I'm starting to suspect an ECU issue. Does the LS400 have a Transmission control unit?
Old 05-27-10, 11:42 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

did you change the amf to a new or used one?
No vac leaks right?
Wire short , tps .
Old 05-29-10, 02:01 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
did you change the amf to a new or used one?
No vac leaks right?
Wire short , tps .
Both the AFM I just got and the original one are good. I checked the resistance of both and they're within spec. I already replaced the TPS without improvement, and there are zero vacuum leaks.

The weird shifting issue occurred after a mechanic of a friend of mine messed with my throttle housing. Maybe he messed something up there, although I know that the throttle cables are all adjusted. The high idle issue seems to be a separate problem.
Old 05-31-10, 12:24 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say the throttle cable has been adjusted but was the kick down cable to the transmission also adjusted as I had exactly the same problem on mine after replacing the starter motor and it was due to this cable not being correctly re-adjusted.
You pull off and the gear change is very fast into OD and you get a thump as the gears change?
Old 05-31-10, 05:47 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by steve2006
You say the throttle cable has been adjusted but was the kick down cable to the transmission also adjusted as I had exactly the same problem on mine after replacing the starter motor and it was due to this cable not being correctly re-adjusted.
You pull off and the gear change is very fast into OD and you get a thump as the gears change?
That's exactly what's happening, although mine doesn't thump. It get into OD nearly instantly from start. I'll re-check the kick-down cable.

UPDATE. Just went out to check the cable and it was certainly way too loose. I adjusted it and took it for a test-drive and it shifts completely normally...for now. Now I really need to figure out why my idle is incredibly high. I'm burning ridiculous amounts of gas sitting in traffic.

Last edited by Sixdown; 05-31-10 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-01-10, 08:30 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you sorted the gear shift problem. As for the fast idle have you removed the air ducting to see if the throttle butterfly is completely closed in the throttle body at idle?(If the throttle cable from the pedal has been over adjusted it may be preventing the butterfly closing completely hence the high idle speed) Also when you replaced the TPS did you set it back up correctly?
At least you are 50% there now!
Old 06-02-10, 06:18 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Same damn throttle problem resurfaced today and I checked the cable again. It's within spec and yet it still shifts weirdly.
Old 06-02-10, 06:51 PM
Sixdown
Driver

I'm so close to giving up so I'll just replace the whole damn throttle housing. Anyone have a used one lying around?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird shifting and throttle issues.