LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Moonroof

Old 05-30-14, 10:42 AM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moonroof

Hey everyone, 1999 LS 400

Here's the deal. My moonroof will open all the way without a problem, although it will not tilt up. When I go to close it it will close by itself for about an inch and then I can just hear the motor going "bwurrrrrrrrr". If I start to close it and then help it with my hand it will close all the way although it is not flush with the roof, the back of the moonroof sits about half an inch below the roof.

Previous owner said that this happened because he thinks someone tried to break into the car from the top. He had to park in some not as nice areas for the life of the car.

This is a long shot but any help would be awesome.
Old 05-30-14, 10:59 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I hate to say it but your cables that slide on the motor might be binding. You can try spraying some silicone grease on the tracks to see if it will loosen it up some. If it grinds DON'T keep pressing the button, you can damage the gear in the motor.
Old 01-24-15, 10:44 AM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Thanks for the reply Sha,

have you ever heard of a moonroof when close not being flush with the car. The tilt function is completely shot, my dad (previous owner) thinks that someone tried to break into the car when he had it parked with the moonroof glass tilted up.

Does anyone have experience taking the moonroof apart? What kind of work am I looking at? The noise at highway speeds of the moonroof not being flush with the car is not pleasant.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt
Old 01-24-15, 12:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't know about those years, but taking the moon roof out is pretty easy. As far as getting to the actuating mechanism, that will not be easy. You need a manual for your year car, I'm sure you will have to remove the interior side moldings above the doors, front roof panel, and main roof headliner/panel to access all the moon roof stuff. I have an older LS that I will be doing that to at some point to solve a leak that I can't clear up anyother way.
Old 01-24-15, 06:36 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I had to take my sun roof out to fix it and it is not an easy job. You will have to remove your seats, the moldings above the windows, rear view mirror, vanity lights and the roof liner. You can do it without removing your seats but I don't think the leather will make it without getting some tears/scratches. I say this because when I got one from the junkyard they pulled it without removing the seats but it was a real hack job. You can do it by yourself but when you finally get to the sunroof it's heavy and hard to balance it when trying to position it in the right position to get it out the front passenger door. It's a doable job but by no means an easy one. You have to be careful with bolts since the have a tendency to snap if manhandled.
Old 01-24-15, 07:36 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

That sounds like a nightmare. Well maybe I'll just have to live with it. Sure is nice to have it completely working though. There is money to be spent in other areas on the car that's for sure.

Thanks anyway
Old 01-24-15, 07:41 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

did you try to hose it down with the silicone and work it back and forth?
Old 01-24-15, 07:45 PM
MngreLMatt
Driver

That's my next step. It scares me that it isn't flush with the top of the car when all the way back. Makes me think there is something major going on. The tilt button does absolutely nothing for the problem. I have some spray silicone I'll shoot on there. Whichever jackanape tried to break into the car from the moonroof has got to be kidding themself. But, for all of you southern california folk, that's Santa Ana for ya.

Thanks for the help sha, really appreciate it

Matt
Old 01-24-15, 07:46 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
I had to take my sun roof out to fix it and it is not an easy job. You will have to remove your seats, the moldings above the windows, rear view mirror, vanity lights and the roof liner. You can do it without removing your seats but I don't think the leather will make it without getting some tears/scratches. I say this because when I got one from the junkyard they pulled it without removing the seats but it was a real hack job. You can do it by yourself but when you finally get to the sunroof it's heavy and hard to balance it when trying to position it in the right position to get it out the front passenger door. It's a doable job but by no means an easy one. You have to be careful with bolts since the have a tendency to snap if manhandled.
I would think the older year vs the newer year cars are similar construction. So how heavy is the moon roof actuating assembly? How is it held in? Is it bolted to the roof or stringers - supports for the roof? Is there any kind of sealer between it and the roof? And good idea about removing front seats, I kinda thought it would not be a fun job. Did you get new drain hoses ? You did take off the moon roof glass before trying to remove the track etc? When I take out the glass I just unbolt it from the track and have some padding and card board on the top of the roof and push up and lift it out on to the card board. If it was left in the track and actuating assembly it would be real heavy. Just wondering if that is how you did it.

Last edited by dicer; 01-24-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 08:03 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Def remove the glass before hand and it's much lighter. The best way to neutralize some of the weight is to position the drivers seat to the upright position and move it's headrest all the way up so you can rest the sunroof on it. You can leave the drivers seat in since you have to take it out through the front passenger door.

I forgot to mention that you have to remove the center console so you can slide it out at an angle. i have lots of pics since I could not find many when I was searching but not on this PC. I'll upload them when I return home in a day or 2. I might have put them in a thread somewhere around here though.
Old 01-25-15, 11:04 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yes pics would be nice. I would not have thought about the console, sounds like a major deal. I won't tackle that till summer time.
Old 01-25-15, 11:55 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Old 01-25-15, 12:02 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Old 01-25-15, 12:03 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced