LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
Old 12-12-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

bouncy LS400 after converting from springs to air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 12:43 PM
sL0WmO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bouncy LS400 after converting from springs to air suspension

Hello CL, I have just joined this forum and this is my first thread/post

Over a year ago I bought an LS400 1997 which was equipped with stock spring suspension setup.
Out here in the GCC, 99% of the LS400s came with spring setup... so the next best thing we are desperate to do is, to buy 4 of the OEM air suspensions (4 x $40) from Lexus junkyards + stock air compressor ($100), since we love to slam the shizzle outta them with flick of a button whenever we feel like.

its very cheap and affordable since its available in zillions & all r taken off from clean and neat RHD Celsior at local junyards... so swapping a set every 6 - 10 months is no biggy!

anyways, after the mechanic sets up all the 4 air suspensions with dual air compressors (1 for Front & 1 for Rear) with individual switch for each bag (4 switches for 4 bags) , the inflate/deflate all works well.

THIS IS MY PROBLEM -- the main problem I face in the LS400 is, (after driving many years of Crx on stiff coilovers with B18C), I feel the LS is too "soft n spongy" at corners and turns. Im not sure whether its like this for all OEM Air suspension LS400s, or is it just me feeling this way ! I've gotten used to stiff handling on the crx, so perhaps its me feelin this way .

But before I jump into any conclusion, I noticed I don't have the air suspension actuators connected to any wires.. the inner side looks similar to a pin which I use to turn manually the hard/soft setting on my crx coilovers..

so im guessing this actuator has actually something to do with controlling the hard/soft setting electronically and mounts on top of the air suspensions... it has pin like structure along with 5 wires which I donno where it goes... some pics I've uploaded incase they help. If any other detail required, lemme know so I can provide.

I had looked all over the net and found nothing

any idea, help, input, CL can share I would very much appreciate it.

tnx guys!
Attached Thumbnails bouncy LS400 after converting from springs to air suspension-img_20140527_230710.jpg   bouncy LS400 after converting from springs to air suspension-img_20140527_230735.jpg   bouncy LS400 after converting from springs to air suspension-img_20140527_230836.jpg   bouncy LS400 after converting from springs to air suspension-img_20140527_230853.jpg  
Old 05-27-14, 01:27 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

welcome and you've come to the right place!

the LS400 will never feel as stiff as the CRX unless you go with super stiff coilovers. the car is designed to cruise over bumps and road imperfections with comfort. as you added air suspension, the car will get even more soft! yes you are correct the actuators do control the damping of the shock aborbers. they will get a bit stiffer but do not expect a world of a difference.

it is hard to say how the factory air suspension is setup since most of us stateside ditch them in favor of conventional spring/strut, or full coilovers. plus celsior air suspension may differ over our factory stateside air suspension. are you using OEM compressors and switches too? it sounds like you are not.

one way to get the car stiffer is to add more air into the bags but that will raise the car as well.
Old 05-27-14, 02:30 PM
sL0WmO
Driver School Candidate

Tnx timmy! So that's how oem airbags r... control sucks
How about if I manage to connect the actuator wires somehow to a manual controlled switch just to stiffen it's max possible?
Even if I can get lil bit more stiffness than it currently is, I would do it... any idea how to get the actuator pinout diagram?
Old 05-27-14, 02:35 PM
sL0WmO
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention, yes I'm using stock oem compressors, also off a celsior.. it's fixed somewhere under the passenger side headlight bolton.
As for secondary compressor, I have mounted it in the trunk.. this one is also off a celsior.
The switches are custom made n manually controlled. Like "center" is neutral position, "up" will be for inflate, "down" will be for deflate.
Old 05-27-14, 04:53 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Did you buy and set up the suspension control computer and other related sensors and valves other than actuators?
The air suspension system needs height control sensors, G sensors, height control valves and the computer. The computer is connected to the main engine ECU and other already built in sensors such as speed sensors and the steering sensor too. The air suspension systems works sensing many items and controls the height and dumpings.

You should have had bought all of them and installed.
Old 05-27-14, 05:55 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

instead of wiring in the actuators, why not just use a flathead screwdriver similar in size to the tip of the actuator and adjust the damping that way. turn it clockwise to stiffen. you might be able to feel a "click" when turning too.
Old 05-27-14, 08:20 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
instead of wiring in the actuators, why not just use a flathead screwdriver similar in size to the tip of the actuator and adjust the damping that way. turn it clockwise to stiffen. you might be able to feel a "click" when turning too.
Sadly, things are not that simple. There are 4 coils there in each actuator and all are controlled separately by the controller. You need to know why 4. Many wires at the connector is one of the reasons why 4.
Old 05-28-14, 06:42 AM
sL0WmO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
I had previously tried on a spare airbag strut and when I poked on the top, I noticed oil leakin out... so I think the actuator not only turns, but same time blocks the oil inside the strut from gettin out.
Tnx timm anyways I'll check with the mechanic if he can do something about it
Old 05-28-14, 06:52 AM
sL0WmO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you buy and set up the suspension control computer and other related sensors and valves other than actuators?
The air suspension system needs height control sensors, G sensors, height control valves and the computer. The computer is connected to the main engine ECU and other already built in sensors such as speed sensors and the steering sensor too. The air suspension systems works sensing many items and controls the height and dumpings.

You should have had bought all of them and installed.
The problem here in the GCC region is, LS models up to 2000 don't have the oem stuffs for air suspensions like sensors/ecu/g sensors/height control valves, etc that u mentioned. They all came with spring/shocks setup.
I can find parts in the Celsior RHD version in locally but since it will be a right to left conversion, I'm not sure if all those stuffs/ecu wiring, etc will be compatible. I also don't know what all I would need to things automated.

At the moment, I have manual controlled switches which I have to park the car and keep coming out to check when the height/drop it correct. This kinda sucks but I can't complain since no one here has got automated airsuspension setup... they launched only on the LS430 onwards air suspensioned full ultra versions.

If I can get the softness to stiffen close to any other stock car on springs, I will be more than happy