LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 LS400 Problems after shop timing belt/starter change..

Old 05-13-14, 07:44 PM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 LS400 Problems after shop timing belt/starter change..

So this shop finally got it right - so I thought - after a week, two starters and a blown gasket and full timing belt replacement kit on my 75K mi LS400 it starts right up and runs as great as ever for about a month and then at a stoplight after only driving on city streets for about 10 minutes first thing in the AM the check engine light comes on and the car sputters and barely runs to where I park it 100 yards further on. The shop that did the only work this car has ever know other than oil/tire changes comes and tows it in. What could it be and how will the shop try to claim its not their fault and how can I counter that it was it their fault and why? Thanks!

Bill
Old 05-13-14, 08:13 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you gotta read the codes thrown and then we might be able to help
Old 05-14-14, 03:37 AM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

You mean have the shop give me the codes they read...OK...thanks!
Old 05-15-14, 01:02 PM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ocr
you gotta read the codes thrown and then we might be able to help
The service manager who's working on it says there are no codes because the car isnt displaying any codes - neither with their desktop or handheld systems - I asked about replacing the computer since it seems that the malfunction of the computer would be responsible for the engine light and rough running as well as no codes - the car starts and idles fine but runs rough in drive. They've had the car all week and aren't even quoting a time frame for when they'll have the problem diagnosed let alone repaired - Id take it somewhere else but this shop just did the starter and timing belt. Any ideas? Thanks. -Bill
Old 05-15-14, 02:00 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume this isn't lexus dealer. They probably messed up your timing. My father cheaped out on his 03 LS430 and did tb/wp change using oem parts but took it to one of those no name shops. He got it back with good idling engine but absolutely no power and detonation when trying to accelerate. I threatened them to take them to court so he got the labor charge back. Went to a lexus dealer and got it fixed for $800. I know 93's are non-vvti engines so must be bad timing. Dealer said vvti and timing were out of whack. Either you do it yourself or take it to someone who knows these cars. Good luck
Old 05-15-14, 03:19 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

if the car was running fine before for that long, it's not your timing. you be on to something with the ECU, and the shop may not have the capability to see or do this! this is totally age related, and nothing to do with mileage.

get comfortable, and read on:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html
Old 05-15-14, 05:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
if the car was running fine before for that long, it's not your timing. you be on to something with the ECU, and the shop may not have the capability to see or do this! this is totally age related, and nothing to do with mileage.

could have easily skipped a tooth on a 1st gen and not cause any other issues. Specifically if the tensioner isn't properly tightened.
Old 05-15-14, 05:59 PM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KA8
I assume this isn't lexus dealer. They probably messed up your timing. My father cheaped out on his 03 LS430 and did tb/wp change using oem parts but took it to one of those no name shops. He got it back with good idling engine but absolutely no power and detonation when trying to accelerate. I threatened them to take them to court so he got the labor charge back. Went to a lexus dealer and got it fixed for $800. I know 93's are non-vvti engines so must be bad timing. Dealer said vvti and timing were out of whack. Either you do it yourself or take it to someone who knows these cars. Good luck
Right - not a Lexus dealer - why I refer to it only as "shop". As I said - the car ran like a champ for over a month after the shop did the tb so they couldnt have messed up the timing - it went from champ to tramp at a red light. I dont know what "wti" or WT-I are. Thanks.
Old 05-15-14, 06:08 PM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
could have easily skipped a tooth on a 1st gen and not cause any other issues. Specifically if the tensioner isn't properly tightened.
Can you explain this a little - skipped a tooth? And could the skipped tooth combined with improper tensioner tightening be responsible for the simultaneous failure of the ECU as well as a mechanical source of the engine running badly more than 30 days after the work was done? The car starts right up and idles perfectly but will not generate any diagnostic codes or run well in gear.
The car ran super until while stopped at a red light the engine light came on and when the light turned green the car ran like crap - limping along - but starts and idles fine.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-14, 06:20 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bernynhel
Right - not a Lexus dealer - why I refer to it only as "shop". As I said - the car ran like a champ for over a month after the shop did the tb so they couldnt have messed up the timing - it went from champ to tramp at a red light. I dont know what "wti" or WT-I are. Thanks.
its not WT-I its ( V V T - I) Veraible Valve Timing - ? kinda like Honda has VTEC. its the same idea but with Toyota instead of Honda.
Old 05-15-14, 07:06 PM
Aeok18109
Driver

check your ECU capacitors.
Old 05-15-14, 07:16 PM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ocr
its not WT-I its ( V V T - I) Veraible Valve Timing - ? kinda like Honda has VTEC. its the same idea but with Toyota instead of Honda.
OK so my 93 is not a VVT-I engine - my questions remains that if the timing belt change were mishandled - skipped a tooth and/or wrong torque applied to the the tensioner - would that cause the engine light to come on, ECU failure and the car to run rough while starting and idling fine, simultaneously while stopped at a red light after 35 days since the work was done and everything working fine during those 35 days? Or is the failure of the ECU after 21 (OD just turned 75k and Im the original owner) years and as many summers of Cal desert heat the more likely suspect for all of the above?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-14, 07:17 PM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aeok18109
check your ECU capacitors.
Thanks!
Ill tell the shop.
Old 05-15-14, 07:24 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will bet a doughnut that they do not know how to check capacitors (or even do the ripple test) unless they have someone who reads this forum.
And I do like doughnuts!
Old 05-15-14, 07:24 PM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

Really? 805 posts? The thread is so long the first page or two along with the first 10 posts are missing. Cant I just tell the shop to look for leaky capacitors on the ECU? Another post recommended the same - thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 LS400 Problems after shop timing belt/starter change..