LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 LS no start, no power to fuel pump relay!UPDATE TO MY 91 LS400 no start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 02:04 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 LS no start, no power to fuel pump relay!UPDATE TO MY 91 LS400 no start!

Have read several threads on no start, fuel pump issues but i am still stuck.

UPDATE TO MY 91 LS400 no start!

so quickly when the issue started i was just running to the store and on the way back i hit a stop sign, motor felt like it was missing so i got home and parked it and at idle it usually idles around 800rpm which is was but every few seconds the rpms would jump up to 950 or so.. turned it off, tough to start back up but it started and still have start sputter. turned it off again and now won't start, turns over but won't start, let the car sit a half hour and it started up fine, next day didnt want to start again..… so started to diagnosis starting with fuel or spark.

first thing we noticed is when turning the key over to "ON" we did not hear the fuel pump turn on… check connectors coming into the fuel pump, no power…. then into the Fuel Pump Relay on the left side of the engine bay there was no power going into the relay… read there could be blown capacitors in the ECU, so opened the ECU to see no issues in there…

SO if anyone has any ideas please throw em my way… Right now there is no power coming into the FUEL PUMP RELAY. where should i back track from there. EFI relay seemed fine. but fuel pump relay seems to be where I'm stuck.

ALSO.. did the little mod where in the diagnostic port in the engine bay you jump a wire from B+ to FP… fuel pump turned on and got gas flowing into engine. But still no start…. any help would be AWESOME!
Old 05-04-14, 02:43 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

did u spray a small amount of starting fluid into the fresh air intake hose..then try to start it
Old 05-04-14, 03:53 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by python
did u spray a small amount of starting fluid into the fresh air intake hose..then try to start it
what will that help me prove? just wondering.

i still don't have power going to my fuel pump relay.
Old 05-04-14, 04:09 PM
python
Lexus Champion

can u communicate with the ecm?

Last edited by python; 05-04-14 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-04-14, 04:18 PM
python
Lexus Champion

btw this is what happens when people do not follow up on their threads..makes forums useless
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ump-relay.html
not directed to u btw
Old 05-04-14, 05:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This thread may be of help:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-problem.html
Old 05-04-14, 05:45 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

btw this is what happens when people do not follow up on their threads..makes forums useless
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ump-relay.html
not directed to u btw
Originally Posted by RA40

yup i have read both of those pages before posting my thread.
and no trunk wire issues and popped open my ECU and saw no visible damage to any capacitors.

so again i am just stuck at no power to my fuel pump relay.. is there anything in between my ecu and the fuel pump relay that can be checked?

I appreciate the replies guys.
Old 05-04-14, 07:22 PM
python
Lexus Champion

fuel pump module..in the trunk by the gas cap fill neck..remove the tool kit thing and its behind there
Old 05-04-14, 07:56 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

fuel pump module..in the trunk by the gas cap fill neck..remove the tool kit thing and its behind there
so power would go to my truck module first, then go back to the engine bay to the fuel pump relay, then back to the trunk to the fuel pump?

cause again.. i have no power coming into the fuel pump relay.

and seems threads keep telling me only 93-94+ have the module in the trunk. but ill take a look tomorrow.
Old 05-04-14, 08:30 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Circuit opening relay?

Old 05-04-14, 10:04 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

will check the opening circuits for sure, think i saw em located right next to the ECU thanks for the diagram that really helps
Old 05-07-14, 04:21 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

so update.. which is really no update i guess since I'm trying to figure this out by myself not really know what I'm looking for….

i was able to get the car started by jumping +B to the FP… smoked a bit.. did some light revving and removed the jumper wire and continued to run until i gave the motor a nice 3500-4000 rpm rev and it just died.

I have noticed when you do the +B to FP jump the pump does go on, i do hear fuel into the lines in the engine but also noticed that it wouldn't do it unless the fuel pump relay was in which is weird cause i thought jumping that bypassed everything.

Figured out which circuit opening relay wa which and they both seem to have tested out fine only thing i did notice when the plug was plugged into that relay, and testing the wires with my test light.. both middle wires lit up.. then one of the wires gave a faint light and as soon as i touched it i could hear the "click" from inside the relay and did hear the fuel pump turn on..

but since then trying the jumper wire hasn't started the car, i tried it yesterday and wouldn't work, but when going out today it started.. weird.

again I'm just so lost and it all confuses me.. I've read every thread of guys having the fuel issues and cannot seem to find similar ones

I have checked…
AM2 fusible link - its good
7.5 IGN fuse - its good.
EFI main relay is fine.
Power going in and out of the circuit opening relay - seems fine (this is where i start to get confused)

still no power to fuel pump relay or resistor…. and fuel pump of course

I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for and how to properly test for it.. i can do any other type of mechanical work to a car, but when it comes to wiring.. I'm clueless.
Old 05-07-14, 05:07 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

You need to find out the root cause why the circuit opening relay is enabled. Why don't you read the fault code first?
Old 05-07-14, 05:45 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

trying to track down an OBD1 reader. but the engine light wasn't there when the first problem occurred. only now one since starting it up with the +B/FP jumper mod
Old 05-07-14, 06:01 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Name:  fuelpump1.jpg
Views: 6430
Size:  89.0 KB
Name:  fuelpump2.jpg
Views: 4522
Size:  85.7 KB
Name:  fuelpump3.jpg
Views: 4848
Size:  94.8 KB
circuitopeningrelaycheck.jpg?t=1399510684
fuelpumprelay.jpg?t=1399510691
fuelpumpresistor.jpg?t=1399510699

Quick Reply: 91 LS no start, no power to fuel pump relay!UPDATE TO MY 91 LS400 no start!