LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

what wrenches/sockets for LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-14, 08:35 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

vehicle specific tools? any self respecting mechanic would already have the basic tools needed...its the special tools that are more concerning...
Old 04-05-14, 08:46 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You have the most common sizes already and like everyone has already said just tell him to get a decent set of sockets/wrenches and let him know these are th ones you will be using the most.
Old 04-05-14, 09:44 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

he found a deal on very expensive Snap-On wrenches, but even at a deal, he doesn't need 20 wrenches to work on this car if 8 will do, not everyone is wealthy, he is a young mechanic, and he is smart to avoid debt.
Old 04-05-14, 09:54 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If he is a "Mechanic," as in going into the trade, then he is dumb to buy just a couple of Snap-On wrenches over a set if there is a deal to be had... assuming he's getting the deal from the truck or the industrial rep because he's a student.

if he's getting them from C-list or ebay, again, buy a set... it's almost always cheaper in the long run. Eventually he is going to need the other wrenches... as a Tech yourself you should know that...

If he is just a young guy who wants to work on his car, then he doesn't need Snap-On wrenches. It's a waste of money for the average Joe to buy Snap-On (or other high end trade tools), and he would be better served by a good set of Craftsman or similar that would be easy for him to warranty should he ever need to.
Old 04-05-14, 10:32 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I would not buy snap-on tools just to work on MY car. Those tools are an investment in your craft and since he is a young mechanic the smart thing would be to take that money and buy a set of inexpensive reliable tools. I've had everything out of this car except the engine, transmission and exhaust using auto zone duralast sockets/wrenches and more recently husky socket/wrenches. the only time I've broken a socket is on the front caliper bolt and that was years ago when I did not have the 1/2 breaker bar and was trying to use a 3/8 regular socket.
Old 04-05-14, 11:56 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

he only works on his own car (LS400 - bone stock), and he is getting snap-on wrenches at the craftsman price, but he still has to watch his money

I am just trying to get a complete list together of the fastener sizes on the LS400, wasn't trying to start a debate on the merits of different brands of tools or which ones mechanics should own.

so what sizes do we have verified so far?
Old 04-05-14, 12:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Buying singles may result in an efficient amount of tools though that leads to an unnecessary amount spent, for À la carte pieces. Right? As others mentioned and what he bought was worthwhile.

This is a discussion about tools and there will be other qualifying points about the subject from others.
Old 04-05-14, 01:20 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Just use a crescent wrench for everything! Bua ha ha ha!!

Here's one: anyone remember what the P/S pump pressure line is? I remember it being some oddball large size but am not getting out of bed quite yet to go check. I can take a looksie later though!
Old 04-05-14, 02:22 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
he only works on his own car (LS400 - bone stock), and he is getting snap-on wrenches at the craftsman price, but he still has to watch his money

I am just trying to get a complete list together of the fastener sizes on the LS400, wasn't trying to start a debate on the merits of different brands of tools or which ones mechanics should own.

so what sizes do we have verified so far?

8-22mm [/thread]

if you go deep enough into the car, you'll need just about all of them.

Seriously, what is the point of starting this thread?
Anyone working on their own Japanese car from the last 30years should have a full set of 8-22mm metric wrenches, not the mention 8-22mm shallow and deep sockets.
11, 16 and 22 can be left out, or often are left out automatically from a lot of sets, because they are not commonly used or have SAE equivalents that are near identical.

If he is getting Snap-On wrenches for Craftsman prices, why is he even thinking twice about not getting a full set?
That's like going out to buy a fine silver cutlery set and leaving out a couple of dinner forks because you want to save a few bucks and you'll just get some plastic ones later, because you'll be too cheap to buy the matching stuff at full price!?

Is he going to go into life-crippling debt over an extra $35 because he bought 4-5 more wrenches? Those same wrenches that would cost him probably another $100-150 later because he's buying singles and probably at full price? A set of Snap-On wrenches is a life long investment, they will never need replacement unless you lose them. why would he not want that, nor you as a tech suggest it??
Old 04-05-14, 02:27 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if you go deep enough into the car, you'll need just about all of them.
no, you won't

and if you don't know what head sizes are used in the LS400, the correct response is "I don't know" (i.e. don't post)

and don't thread-crap either