LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Voltage regulator failed in my Alternator

Old 04-10-14, 06:36 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
WELL my nephew replaced my alternator with a rebuilt one, and guess what, still not charging... took it to Richardson Generator and they said, YEP, not charging... and said probably the wiring plug (3 prong) on the back of the Alt, was bad.. said they are very hard to get off and it is probably broken... they ordered one, said next tuesday or wednesday they would have it.. had them recheck the old alternator, and it checked out OK, no problem... my question is, I have owned this car for over 4 years, if that plug is bad, how did it get that way?

looking for answers??

here is my takeoff...
As I told you at my post #5, "I assume the connector or the cable attached to the alternator or the other side of it is not fully OK", you should have checked those.

In my past experience, I found leaking engine oil from the valve cover gasket caused your type of problem. Some ingredients in the engine oil damage the connector. You know engine oils contain sulfur and others to prevent bearing damages. Those increase the contact resistance and the built up heat there damage the contacts more and more causing the housing bad too. Check your generator carefully, it must have some engine oil not the PS oil there. The PS oil kills the slip rings and the engine oil kills the connector, according to my experience. We need to pay some attentions on alternators not to drop any oil.

Last edited by Yamae; 04-10-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 07:40 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

thanks Yamae, we will check closely....
Old 04-15-14, 01:08 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

sure enough, the three prong plug was the problem, should have listened to Yamae, but I can also HIGHLY recommend Don over at Richardson Generator.. you got a starter or alternator problem? He can fix it.. plus he drives a LS400...
Old 04-15-14, 01:50 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

sure enough, the three prong plug was the problem, should have listened to Yamae, but I can also HIGHLY recommend Don over at Richardson Generator.. you got a starter or alternator problem? He can fix it.. plus he drives a LS400...
I second that... great people that do good work.
Old 06-23-15, 07:47 AM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say it was the three prong plug that was the problem then what did you do? Was the plug just gummed up or need cleaning to create good contact or did you replace the plug all together?

Reason I ask is I just had the same problem yesterday and recharged the battery myself before taking to AutoZone (where I bought the battery) where the manager said via his hand held device the battery was fine but the voltage regulator was bad.

My plug housing broke before and I went to Pull-A-Part and found the same plug used on many Toyota Camry models and I cut off the cable there and spliced it into the Lexus. Repair $1.00
Old 06-23-15, 01:00 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jscoda
When you say it was the three prong plug that was the problem then what did you do? Was the plug just gummed up or need cleaning to create good contact or did you replace the plug all together?

Reason I ask is I just had the same problem yesterday and recharged the battery myself before taking to AutoZone (where I bought the battery) where the manager said via his hand held device the battery was fine but the voltage regulator was bad.

My plug housing broke before and I went to Pull-A-Part and found the same plug used on many Toyota Camry models and I cut off the cable there and spliced it into the Lexus. Repair $1.00
they replaced the bad plug on the wiring harness (NOT the alternator) that was a year ago, no more problems.
Old 06-24-15, 07:38 AM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

they replaced the bad plug on the wiring harness (NOT the alternator) that was a year ago, no more problems.
The part of the plug that clips into the back of the alternator was Ok? It was the other end of the wiring harness? Where does the other end of the harness connect?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-24-15, 08:05 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

The part of the plug that clips into the back of the alternator was Ok? It was the other end of the wiring harness? Where does the other end of the harness connect?

Thanks for your help.
L to the ECU.
IG to Ignition circuit for the field coil current + regulator.
S to the battery for a voltage sensing.
Old 06-24-15, 11:35 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your help.
YOU are making this hard, (if you dont understand, get professional help)

NOW once again, the little plug you take into your hand (get the picture) and push into the back of the alternator, was my problem, they ordered a new one, put it on, plugged (with their hands) it into my alternator, and it worked, and is still working. sorry no photo.
Old 06-24-15, 01:15 PM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

YOU are making this hard, (if you dont understand, get professional help)

NOW once again, the little plug you take into your hand (get the picture) and push into the back of the alternator, was my problem, they ordered a new one, put it on, plugged (with their hands) it into my alternator, and it worked, and is still working. sorry no photo.
Thank you. And yes...sometimes I can make it hard. Not on purpose tho....
Old 06-25-15, 01:39 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread! I am in this loop now & waiting on my Denso Reman to be delivered.
Luckily I am also close to Richardson Generator!!
Old 06-25-15, 08:18 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Richardson Generator!! great people