LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Good cheap speaker replacement for 90 LS400??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 10:10 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Good cheap speaker replacement for 90 LS400??

Whats up,
I installed my subs but basically my head unit doesn't control only the subs bass. it controls the speakers and the subs. The speakers are the nakamichi ones but there 25 years old. So unless the bass is turned all the way low they sound horrible. and when there turned all the way low my subs dont hit as hard.So what are some good 4 inch speakers. I dont need them to have bass. I just need tehm to sound clean. My subs provide the bass. as long as they have good vocals and when bass is turned all the way up they dont make nasty sounds im fine with them, i dont even care if they dont produce any bass at all. but they cant sound bad when turning up the bass. id like to stay as cheap as possible. now i know if i bought a $15 pair of pyle speaker theyll sound like crap, but i want to be as cheap as possible that if the bass is turned all the way up they wont sound bad. and make weird nasty noises. what are some good speakers for that?
Old 03-24-14, 09:26 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I've seen plenty affordable speakers on Amazon. The 2 way speakers are considerably cheaper then the component speakers for the front though.
Old 03-24-14, 09:32 AM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why are there so many XX's around your name?

I thought the stock speakers on the 1st gen are pretty good with low distortion, perhaps yours are blown? I wouldn't expect amazing quality from a set of generic kenwood's or pioneer etc more so then the Nakamichi's.
Just because they are 25yrs old doesn't mean they are not that great! best of luck
Old 03-24-14, 09:53 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
I've seen plenty affordable speakers on Amazon. The 2 way speakers are considerably cheaper then the component speakers for the front though.
Yea I'm gonna go with the one that have tweeter and the speaker in one. I don't need tweeter I doubt the blown. But it seems like the component ones are more expensive
Old 03-24-14, 09:58 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
why are there so many XX's around your name?

I thought the stock speakers on the 1st gen are pretty good with low distortion, perhaps yours are blown? I wouldn't expect amazing quality from a set of generic kenwood's or pioneer etc more so then the Nakamichi's.
Just because they are 25yrs old doesn't mean they are not that great! best of luck
I guess you can call em blown. Not fully blown. If the bass is turned all the way low there fine. My issue is my head unit for some reason can't adjust bass seperatly for sub's and speakers. I can tell these were excellent speaker at one point. I don't need them to sound great. Just not that nasty blown sound. I wanna be able to turn my bass all the way up without nasty noises when the audio is high. I dont care if they have no bass at all.
Old 03-24-14, 11:35 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

EDIT: I pulled the trigger on those
I think im going to go with these.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R14X...ime-R14X2.html
The only complaints on these are theres not enough bass which i really dont care for since my subs provide the bass. everyone says there really clear and on ebay thers a 4 pair for 65. Im gonna try and offer 55 and probably end up spending 60. even if its 65 that a great deal to enjoy my music. I was hoping my $200 alpine headunit would be able to control bass separately but whatever. I guess ill change my speakers for 65 its not bad at all and its not some no name or band brand like boss or pyle. If rocksford which is a really good brand.

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 03-24-14 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 07:11 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up and let us know how they sound when you get them in.
Old 03-24-14, 09:49 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dc893
will do there supposed to come thurs. will prolly put em in on sat
Old 03-26-14, 10:16 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dc893
I think I found out why my speakers sound bad. My hu amp is rated at 50x4rms and I beileive the nakamichi speakers are rated at 15rms. Which means I'm over powering them more then 3x. The r14x2s are rTed at 30w RMS. I hope they can take 50 without sounding bad. I didn't realize my amp was 50 per speaker so I really hope they sound decent
Old 03-26-14, 11:03 PM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sir i think you need to do a little more research on audio components and setups just a friendly piece of advice is all. I think your intentions are great but your execution is failing here sir.
Old 03-26-14, 11:10 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeok18109
sir i think you need to do a little more research on audio components and setups just a friendly piece of advice is all. I think your intentions are great but your execution is failing here sir.
Agreed... Spend a little more money for some components you won't be disappointed
Old 03-27-14, 08:39 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
I think I found out why my speakers sound bad. My hu amp is rated at 50x4rms and I beileive the nakamichi speakers are rated at 15rms. Which means I'm over powering them more then 3x. The r14x2s are rTed at 30w RMS. I hope they can take 50 without sounding bad. I didn't realize my amp was 50 per speaker so I really hope they sound decent
Usually head units output 15-20W RMS per channel, and 50W is listed as a peak number. The only "hu amp" I can think of is that small Alpine unit, but that gets 45W RMS per 4 speakers. You shouldn't be getting 50W RMS out of the head unit's built-in amp.
Old 03-27-14, 10:11 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aeok18109
I know a little about audio.but Enough to buy 2 12s and install em my self. Actually my amp is 20w RMS. I got the 50 from a wrong site it 50 peak. So I'm safe. I know RMS is what matters but when I bought them I thought it was 20 then I searched it again and it said 50. So I didn't mess up buying speakers
Old 03-27-14, 10:17 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Agreed... Spend a little more money for some components you won't be disappointed
What exactly do I need to spend the more money for? The speakers cost $50 for one from there site and 45 on amazon. I just happend to find a retailer that did 4 for $65. I have 2 12s in the trunk. All I need are clear vocals. There not some crap like Pyle or boss there Rockford fosgates. Id rather pay $65 then $200 for the same speakers
Old 03-27-14, 10:19 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Usually head units output 15-20W RMS per channel, and 50W is listed as a peak number. The only "hu amp" I can think of is that small Alpine unit, but that gets 45W RMS per 4 speakers. You shouldn't be getting 50W RMS out of the head unit's built-in amp.
Your right I got the 50rms off a wrong site. When I was buying I read 20 but after I read 50. I checked the specs from alpines site and there really 20rms

Quick Reply: Good cheap speaker replacement for 90 LS400??