LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS 400 Blower fan wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 10:48 AM
usdmls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LS 400 Blower fan wont turn on

Sup club lexus members, i recently encountered a problem with my ucf20, no matter what speed i put the fan on, it doesnt come on, checked all my fuses and relays, theyre all good, even bought new relays just to see if that was the problem, but it wasnt. I ran the codes thru the ac command screen using the 'auto' and 'recirculate' buttons on my ac panel, returned codes 21,24. I know the vents and my condenser are still working cause i feel hot air, or cold air slowly creep thru the vents when i change the temp or put the ac on while im driving, I know the blower motor resistor could be bad and im really trying to see if thats the problem before i dump 270$ on a stupid part. If anyone can help i would much appreciate it.
Old 03-16-14, 11:18 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the blower motor control module (aka blower resistor pack) p/n 87165-50020 is the most common suspect, and by the way, get the real part from an online Lexus dealership such as Sewell Lexus using our Club Lexus discount or Lexus of South Atlanta Parts or Lexus Parts Now, because the price will about $70-$80 cheaper than Autozone/Advance/O'Reilly/Rock Auto on some aftermarket junky one. (real Toyota part about $200 or less)

this is one of those rare cases where aftermarket price and discount online dealership prices are reversed!

as far as a way to test it, there is a procedure in the factory service manual, although the easiest way is to temporarily swap out yours with a buddy who has a 95-97 LS400

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-16-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 05:08 PM
usdmls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
the blower motor control module (aka blower resistor pack) p/n 87165-50020 is the most common suspect, and by the way, get the real part from an online Lexus dealership such as Sewell Lexus using our Club Lexus discount or Lexus of South Atlanta Parts or Lexus Parts Now, because the price will about $70-$80 cheaper than Autozone/Advance/O'Reilly/Rock Auto on some aftermarket junky one. (real Toyota part about $200 or less)

this is one of those rare cases where aftermarket price and discount online dealership prices are reversed!

as far as a way to test it, there is a procedure in the factory service manual, although the easiest way is to temporarily swap out yours with a buddy who has a 95-97 LS400
Thanks man.
Old 03-16-14, 05:42 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

If you find that your blower control module is indeed the problem, and it likely is, I am interested in obtaining your old one, for testing purposes, so I can develop a low cost DIY repair for folks in the future! (similar to my DIY ECU capacitor fix)

PS - here is the lowest price in the country on the real genuine Lexus part brand new - $187

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-16-14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 06:41 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I would check the voltage and also hook a 12v feed to the blower motor just to double check, since the control module is a bit on the pricey side.

I had the brushes in my 89' 4Runners blower motor just plain wear out, but its got close to 285k on it now as well.
Old 03-16-14, 07:34 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I would check the voltage and also hook a 12v feed to the blower motor just to double check, since the control module is a bit on the pricey side.
this is always a smart plan!

although I have yet to ever hear of a blower motor going out on an LS400, doesn't take long to do a quick check with a spare battery!
Old 03-17-14, 08:26 AM
Yamae

Received 851 Likes on 643 Posts

If you find that your blower control module is indeed the problem, and it likely is, I am interested in obtaining your old one, for testing purposes, so I can develop a low cost DIY repair for folks in the future! (similar to my DIY ECU capacitor fix)

PS - here is the lowest price in the country on the real genuine Lexus part brand new - $187
You have to be careful that the blower control module is sometimes killed by the worn blower motor. A new blower control module will be killed again before the fuse opens due to the reason that the break down is caused not by the current but the di/dt or in other words the fly-back energy. We'd better to check both the voltage and the current before replacing the module.
Old 03-17-14, 09:43 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Another small check that works sometimes, like in the case of my 4Runner when its motor was dying, is turn the fan speed up and then give a few quick taps to the bottom of the motor housing.

As funny as it sounds, if the motor fires right up afterwards that means its definitely on its way out, as it didn't have enough electrical contact to start itself up, but a little tap might jostle the worn brushes enough to make a connection for a moment.

If that doesn't work, then do what Cowboy said and test her out!
Old 03-17-14, 09:58 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
You have to be careful that the blower control module is sometimes killed by the worn blower motor. A new blower control module will be killed again before the fuse opens due to the reason that the break down is caused not by the current but the di/dt or in other words the fly-back energy. We'd better to check both the voltage and the current before replacing the module.
Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Another small check that works sometimes, like in the case of my 4Runner when its motor was dying, is turn the fan speed up and then give a few quick taps to the bottom of the motor housing.

As funny as it sounds, if the motor fires right up afterwards that means its definitely on its way out, as it didn't have enough electrical contact to start itself up, but a little tap might jostle the worn brushes enough to make a connection for a moment.
more great advice from Yamae and Yoshiman!

the whacking it with a dead blow hammer (a safe type of hammer for this) trick also works on starters, on cars where you can get to them (not ours! )
Old 03-17-14, 10:31 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i was about to say, i don't see anywhere under our dash that you can give the fan a good whack. it's buried inside the dash!
Old 03-24-14, 08:18 AM
Mountain78
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a new one from Lexus of Atlanta.....it didn't fix the problem but I couldn't return it.
so I have the used one.....it looks like new

Last edited by Mountain78; 03-24-14 at 02:19 PM. Reason: I was mistaken about the part. we haven't had it put on yet.
Old 03-27-14, 09:32 PM
usdmls400
Driver School Candidate

Default update

so, the new resistor came, and i plugged it in. sure enough it didn't work as i would have expected. but oh well. any other ideas :|
Old 03-27-14, 09:45 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

have you put 12V directly from a battery to the blower motor as some of us suggested earlier, and have you also MADE SURE every fuse and relay inside the car and under the hood is in good working order?
Old 03-28-14, 02:58 PM
usdmls400
Driver School Candidate

have you put 12V directly from a battery to the blower motor as some of us suggested earlier, and have you also MADE SURE every fuse and relay inside the car and under the hood is in good working order?
everythings good ill prob just replace the motor now, if that doesnt fix it oh well lmao
Old 03-28-14, 03:17 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if 12V applied directly to the motor turns it on and it blows fine, then replacing it is not going to solve anything, because it is in fact good if it blows with direct battery voltage and does not need a whack to get started

just make sure to take a good long look at the wiring diagram and know for sure to what pins on what connector you are applying the 12V and what polarity!
(you want to closest connector to the motor itself, the first connector in line electrically, when tracing the circuit back, will be very physically close, like inches)

it can get expensive to just be a parts changer, do a bit of troubleshooting and isolate the defective part before ordering!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 03-28-14 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 LS 400 Blower fan wont turn on