LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

UCF10 headers

Old 03-11-14, 01:55 PM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
none will bolt-on and work, SC headers will at the very least require relocated cats and exhaust-work, likely more.
Has this been done? is that how you know? im questioning because no one seems to have a for sure answer "these will not work"

My buddy made headers for a 1uz in a corolla and they turned out great but that was all custom for track only and i don’t want to go that route quite yet.

Performance wise i think any of the above would be better due to the simple fact that our factory system has about the most janky looking headers ever. and ports are amazingly bad. The above may not be high quality but airflow wise anything is a step up.
Old 03-11-14, 07:38 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't be able to give a good opinion on power increase. I installed my headers at the same time as the 5spd swap. It does seem to flow good. lol. That's all I can say.
Old 03-11-14, 08:24 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there will almost always be power gains over stock.
The question is how big and where, but also where will the losses be?
For $350 and probably less than a weekend of time for install, assuming the parts fit properly, the returns are probably worth the price. That said, headers on their own will make little to no difference without supporting mods like a full exhaust and a less restrictive intake... Now as far as the LS goes --and I differ to PD's experience with these cars-- but from unequal comparable cars, you might see a 5% gain without a tune, maybe 10-15% with a tune on a hopelessly restrictive header and exhaust combo.... something the LS is not crippled with.

If your goals are a minor/non-existant increase in power but lots of rumble and bark, then sure, go nuts.

In a money no object scenario, you are still limited by the tuning. Sure you could design a much better header that maximizes scavenging and pulse velocity, it would be in a certain RPM range only though, but you are not going to get 100% out of it without the ability to tune it. From everything I have seen so far, the LS isn't really restricted by flow but by refinement. These cars were engineered to be silky smooth, effortlessly powerful and comfortable cars. Toyota did not really consider the 10-20 year-out aftermarket potential/appeal of these cars when they were doing R&D; so space for crazy stuff was not allocated like with Domestics or more performance oriented platforms.

I keep wrestling with the idea of doing an exhaust on this car...
every time i hear a nice exhaust on Youtube, i get that itch and am like "yeah i totally want an exhaust for the car!" But as soon as I get back into the car and relax in the serenity of not having that drone of an exhaust I smack my self and wonder what I was thinking... Then the cycle repeats....

Oh and,
OBX stuff is beyond hit and miss. for every 10 cars I saw with an OBX product, maybe 1-2 fit like stock; ~5 needed modifications to the part itself or other parts to work; the other 3-4 were hopelessly wrong and usually needed massive changes to fit or new attaching parts fabricated or had to be returned... so be warned if you are not overly familiar with OBX.
Old 03-11-14, 11:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

people have tried, i've either helped or read about it. Don't make stuff up for fun lol

Searching, both this forum and others, will get you actual accounts if you want. the SC headers/"generic" headers don't work right.
Old 03-12-14, 05:08 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

My S&S headers bolted right in but the exhaust side flanges did not match up with my factory ones. So I welded on new universal ball style flanges on them and the exhaust. I thought everything was good after that until I went to install the driver side O2 and it hit the steering rack.

Anyway, the point of this is that these were basically made for the car and I still had to modify them.....
Old 03-12-14, 07:13 AM
oldyota
Driver

people have tried, i've either helped or read about it. Don't make stuff up for fun lol

Searching, both this forum and others, will get you actual accounts if you want. the SC headers/"generic" headers don't work right.
Thanks and just wanted to know as a lot of posts on forums are 2nd hand, 3rd hand, or they read somewhere where it just didnt work.

Thanks and ill probably buy a cheap set to get ideas and mock up my own set that will fit.
Old 03-12-14, 08:24 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ that's par for the course.

Can always modify the cheap stuff to work!
Old 03-12-14, 12:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

or you can just buy header flanges made of good SS and make them from near-scratch...

Though without cams and a tune (1LS) or at least a tune (2LS) you won't see a huge gain.
Old 03-20-14, 09:07 PM
LSVIP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump this, but is JBrady still making headers?
Old 03-21-14, 06:02 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

jbrady never made anything....
Old 03-21-14, 06:36 AM
LSVIP
Rookie

jbrady never made anything....
He had a whole thread on it..
Old 03-21-14, 02:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

go read the thread.

He never made anything. He worked with S&S but he himself did not make any headers afaik. I don't think he ever actually installed a set on his LS either.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 03-22-14 at 03:13 PM. Reason: a word
Old 03-22-14, 10:49 AM
LSVIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by puredrifter
go read the thread. He never made anything. He worked s&s but he himself did not make any headers afaik. I don't htink he ever actually installed a set on his ls either.
booooooo. -_-