LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP! Which is the better buy? 99 LS400 or 00 LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 11:52 AM
FutureOwnr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Which is the better buy? 99 LS400 or 00 LS400?

I'm faced with a dilemma, I'm getting ready to purchase a silver LS400 priced at $11,500 with 52k miles or a gold ls400 with 118k miles for $6900... Both have full service records and are 1 owners, however, the Gold one has had the timing belt service at 101k miles!

The control arms are coming with the Silver 52k mile LS400 and it also comes with LS430 wheels. Someone please help me out!

The gold one is at one of those shady dealerships that look like a gas station with a 2-bay service garage with europeans that keep telling prospective customers how the price is what it is and that "everything works" every 2 minutes. The power seat functions were inoperable and the two carpeted covers that shied the tail lights on the trunk lid in the trunk lacked the velcro attachment to keep them attached. The car was sitting underneath snow for a month and wouldn't start without a trickle charge and barely kept a charge. However, the price is right. As of now, I was told the battery was changed and the seat was fixed, however , i'm skeptical because how does a power seat get fixed in less than 24 hours? Also, due to the charge not being high enough, the radio and A/C would flicker noticeably every time I hit the accelerator.

The silver one with 52k miles is in pristine condition but the price is higher than almost any LS online but has one of the lowest miles and nothing wrong with it at all!
Old 03-04-14, 11:55 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id buy the low mile one. i can jsut for see problems with the other one. thats just me though.
any car, ANY CAR that i or my close frined have owned and purchased we all say h it just need this" turns out, ina few months...they all need alto more than just that.
Old 03-04-14, 12:00 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Never buy from shady dealers... the low mile unit is priced way too high and must be at a dealer... you can get a LS 430 for that money... steer clear of one that does not operate like it should.
Better buy is defined differently for different people... what do you want... less money or less work. Less risk or more things to fix... I'd keep looking if I were you. I'm hard pressed to choose between either one of those.
Old 03-04-14, 12:21 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I second legender. Both are priced too high. Its 2014, those cars are 14-15 years old now. If you could get the gold one for about 6k, that would be good. LS400's are very sensitive to weak batteries. My old 93 started flashing all the dummy lights and even began bucking when its battery was weak. I put in a fresh battery and all was better. Considering the extreme cold the north has experienced, it probably just needs a battery. IMO The two tone gold is looking rather outdated now.

You can get an 04 LS430 with about 120k and records for about 12-14k these days. It is 10 years old after all. I prefer the LS430.
Old 03-04-14, 12:47 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

all else being equal, the 00 model had a couple of minor improvements, but condition of the paint, interior, mechanicals, service history, and autocheck report are all far bigger factors than any difference in these two nearly identical year models.
Old 03-04-14, 01:09 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

as mentioned, i would keep looking as those price points are too high for such an old car. if you have your heart set on an LS400 there will be one at half that cost if you keep looking.

and yes steer clear from those small dealerships! the best is either the factory dealership (rare to find a gem there nowadays) or a private one or two owner seller which is your best bet to get all the history on the car. good luck.
Old 03-04-14, 01:24 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureOwnr
I'm faced with a dilemma, I'm getting ready to purchase a silver LS400 priced at $11,500 with 52k miles or a gold ls400 with 118k miles for $6900... Both have full service records and are 1 owners, however, the Gold one has had the timing belt service at 101k miles!

The control arms are coming with the Silver 52k mile LS400 and it also comes with LS430 wheels. Someone please help me out!

The gold one is at one of those shady dealerships that look like a gas station with a 2-bay service garage with europeans that keep telling prospective customers how the price is what it is and that "everything works" every 2 minutes. The power seat functions were inoperable and the two carpeted covers that shied the tail lights on the trunk lid in the trunk lacked the velcro attachment to keep them attached. The car was sitting underneath snow for a month and wouldn't start without a trickle charge and barely kept a charge. However, the price is right. As of now, I was told the battery was changed and the seat was fixed, however , i'm skeptical because how does a power seat get fixed in less than 24 hours? Also, due to the charge not being high enough, the radio and A/C would flicker noticeably every time I hit the accelerator.

The silver one with 52k miles is in pristine condition but the price is higher than almost any LS online but has one of the lowest miles and nothing wrong with it at all!
id honestly skip both.a 14 year old car with 52k most likely means its sat in the garage for a while. and seals and other stuff went bad. id find one with around 100k. but for 11.5 id go with a ls430. or 03 or newer mercedes e500 or a AMG with lowmilage.

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 03-04-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 02:34 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

There was another guy in a different thread looking to sell a good car for 6k or so, 11,000$ is too high for this car, the shady one doesn't sound right, keep looking and be PATIENT, its a common car and the right car for right price will come along. The biggest mistake I always make when buying cars is not being patient ))
Old 03-05-14, 05:22 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Which car is the 1999 and which is the 2000? I can't tell from the OP's post.

If "The silver one with 52k miles" is the 2000, it would be worth considering at $7,000 to $9,000 if it does not have navigation, air suspension or Nakamichi but is still well equipped enough to have heated seats ... and more so if it is a Platinum Series with the LS430 wheels, maple wood and lizard grain leather.
Old 03-05-14, 09:14 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to find a nice clean 98/99/00 for $5-8k.
Low mileage is not an issue depending on how it was driven. More info is needed to make an educated purchase...

No matter what, get whatever you want to buy inspected by a competent and knowledgable shop, or the closest Lexus dealer, BEFORE YOU BUY!!
If the person/shop/sketchy dealer won't let you do it, walk away.

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
or 03 or newer mercedes e500 or a AMG with lowmilage.
This would be the worst purchase anyone can make... That gen merc, and mercs of the last 20-30years in general, are some of the worst cars to own/maintain. Might as well start smoking meth... You'll keep your money longer and have more pleasant stories to tell about how you ended up with nothing!
Old 03-05-14, 09:54 PM
FutureOwnr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses Guys... I'll clarify here, however, i've almost got my heart set on the silver 52k mile LS400.

1999 LS400 in Alpine Silver Metallic with 52k miles for between $10,000-$11,000. It was a 1-owner owned by a woman who purchased it originally in Michigan but spent most of her time retired in Naples, FL. between 47k miles and 52k miles presently, no work has been done to it because it's driven occassionally by 2nd owner and garaged the rest of the time. New tires and in immaculate condition inside and out.

vs.

2000 LS400 in GOLD with 118k miles with cosmetic issues such as the scratches on both driver side wheels, velcro covering the tail light bulbs in trunk are both loose or missing, and the LCD screen is going out on radio. Also, the car wouldn't start after sitting for 2-3 weeks until it was placed on a trickle charge and even then, it barely held a charge without me keeping the gas above 1K RPMs, I was afraid I would stop on the test drive. That is priced at $6,999 and is a 1-owner that has done all service records including the timing belt service, all done at a dealership.

The insurance is paying for a huge chunk of it so it's like I'm getting that 52k mile 99 LS for a really good price of about $5000 respectively and could retain the value over the next 4-5 years with my driving habits, upkeep, and depreciation.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-14, 10:16 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Price is too high. Get it inspected and get it around $9-10k and you're good!
Old 03-05-14, 11:20 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
This would be the worst purchase anyone can make... That gen merc, and mercs of the last 20-30years in general, are some of the worst cars to own/maintain. Might as well start smoking meth... You'll keep your money longer and have more pleasant stories to tell about how you ended up with nothing!
Nailed it. Have you ever seen the repair bill for any flagship Merc, let alone an AMG? By the time you're finished with the car, you might as well have bought a new one.

As for the OP, snag the '99 but try negotiating down a bit. About $8.5k-10k would be ideal, but be aware that you will need to do the timing belt when you roll into 90k miles territory.
Old 03-07-14, 02:09 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

if you really need help deciding which of those two to buy, then I need to sell you some ocean front property I have in Montana.....

ok, your answer is NEITHER...
Old 03-07-14, 02:49 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
You should be able to find a nice clean 98/99/00 for $5-8k.
Low mileage is not an issue depending on how it was driven. More info is needed to make an educated purchase...

No matter what, get whatever you want to buy inspected by a competent and knowledgable shop, or the closest Lexus dealer, BEFORE YOU BUY!!
If the person/shop/sketchy dealer won't let you do it, walk away.

i agree. maintenance is through the roof. and that gen especially the 03 has alootttt of issues. but youll still be driving a really nice car. just have to able to maintain it.

Quick Reply: HELP! Which is the better buy? 99 LS400 or 00 LS400?