LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Feedback on ls400s I am looking at (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 01:48 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm impressed you are mature enough to understand and admit all of that. Completely forgot about beef and parties...

And by ratbagging I just mean driving it I to the ground, over curbs and into stuff.
A lot of us on here have done or are working on doing the same stuff you want to do, so no worries there.

Sounds like you are going to find the perfect first car for what you need!
Old 02-15-14, 01:51 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

95-97 has some advantages and lately not any more expensive than 90-94

2 years ago it was a different story
Old 02-15-14, 01:58 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just found another ls400. all maintence records 150k its a 1997. brand new tune up. It has torn up front seats but i think i can live with that and go fnd new seats at a junkyard.Or maybe get some seat covers that dont look like seat covers. if anyone knows of any let me know. ive searched on the threads but havent found any decent priced with pics after there installed
Old 02-15-14, 02:03 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shmee
I'm impressed you are mature enough to understand and admit all of that. Completely forgot about beef and parties...

And by ratbagging I just mean driving it I to the ground, over curbs and into stuff.
A lot of us on here have done or are working on doing the same stuff you want to do, so no worries there.

Sounds like you are going to find the perfect first car for what you need!
thanks man i really hope i do
Old 02-15-14, 02:10 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...335028172.html
heres the car. how bad is a coolant flush? when i talked to the guy i didnt pay attention to that. does that mean the cars overheating? im not a fan of the color but its a really dark green i dont mind much
Old 02-15-14, 04:35 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Default 1997 LS400 for $2300 Goodbuy

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...335028172.html
Is this a good buy ill get it inspected by a mechanic. Im not a fan of the color but at least its a really dark green. He has all maintence records and has done a recent tune up hes also the second owner. The only thing that worries me is the coolant flush. Does that mean the car is overheating? I can def talk him down to 2k. Also i talked to him he said both front seats are torn up. If I do pick up the car tommorow i wanna take car of that. Anyone know where to get replacement seats. or some somewhat cheap seat covers that look good and not cheap nd nasty like his do in the pics?
Old 02-15-14, 07:07 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't know if it's just the pictures, but it looks like it has some quarter panel damage
Old 02-15-14, 08:08 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I don't know if it's just the pictures, but it looks like it has some quarter panel damage
Hmmm. Just texted em about it. Its kind of hard to tell if its just in the pic or not
EDIT: idk if this will be the car hes not givng me the vin # or telling me if its damage. Im gonna be in the area nd stop by to check it out if its still there. this was his response to my ?
I can have a grip of people showing up tommorow its going to sell if you want it hmu in the morning first come first served. so whatever. its not my first choice either maintenance is upto date with all records but the color and interior are in bad shape and on top there might be damage like you said.
what pisses me off is the only time i can really go see these cars is the weekend which means if theres a nice car during the week u bet itll be gone by the time i can go see it

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 02-15-14 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 08:48 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

seat covers are the kiss of death! - typically means interior is ragged
Old 02-15-14, 09:38 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
seat covers are the kiss of death! - typically means interior is ragged
yea i talked to the guy there mesed up. hes not giving me the vin and it kinda looks like there quarter panel dmage on the rear left side of the car. when i askeed em he said call him tommorow and the cars gonna be sold first come first serve. if the cars still there ill check it out but i seriously doubt ill buy it. its most likely damaged and since im gonna be in his area i wont be home in the morning i wont be able to check the vin. ill get a feel for the car itself though since ive never been in one. I personally like the styling of the 90-94s too. Theres the other one which looks in perfect condition its a ucf10. 1 owner dealer serviced which means all maintenance records online. looks in perfect condition other then that one little tear on the seat. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...327986464.html
its also about 10 mins away but theres no number so its only email and im afraid that its sold already since its 5 days old and i emailed em yesterday no reply but who knows. I hope they still have it. i would love to buy a old rich grandmas car thats been perfectly maintained all its life

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 02-15-14 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 11:05 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

don't even waste your time with a car in this condition - ragged on the inside = ragged on the engine, transmission, etc. very often!

just be patient
Old 02-16-14, 10:07 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
don't even waste your time with a car in this condition - ragged on the inside = ragged on the engine, transmission, etc. very often!

just be patient
yea im not even checking it out. guy doesnt even wanna give me the vin just tells me the cars gonna sell first come first serve. im not gonna check a car out that i dont have the vin # to.
I just checked out a 92 for 1500 with 135k on the clock. It had issues with cheaply done body work. But mechanically im loving the car. that was my first time i ever drove one or ever even been in one. This is definetly the model of car im going to get. it rides so nicely and smoothly for such a old car. The guy was literally 5 minutes away so i thought i might as well check it out.

Last edited by xxmariolxx; 02-16-14 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 05:06 PM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
yea im not even checking it out. guy doesnt even wanna give me the vin just tells me the cars gonna sell first come first serve. im not gonna check a car out that i dont have the vin # to.
I just checked out a 92 for 1500 with 135k on the clock. It had issues with cheaply done body work. But mechanically im loving the car. that was my first time i ever drove one or ever even been in one. This is definetly the model of car im going to get. it rides so nicely and smoothly for such a old car. The guy was literally 5 minutes away so i thought i might as well check it out.
Price is good on the 1997. Maybe check it out and get the vin number from the drivers side door jam or windshield and don't buy it until you run the vin through the Lexus website for service information.
Old 02-16-14, 05:56 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by elite7
Price is good on the 1997. Maybe check it out and get the vin number from the drivers side door jam or windshield and don't buy it until you run the vin through the Lexus website for service information.
I honestly like the styling of the 90-94 better. but im open for the 95-97. I was in the are i called him he forwarded i texted em he didnt respond so whatever. i believe it had body damage too.it looks like it in the pics. the interior was torn up from what he told me and the color was gross. i dont think i can have a green car unless its light green on a lambo. So whatever. like someone said theres new ones everyday so im waiting for the right one
Old 02-16-14, 06:58 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

95-97 is a better car overall than 90-94

but for me, interior and exterior condition and accident free history are above all else

mileage and year model are less important

Quick Reply: Feedback on ls400s I am looking at (merged threads)