LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Best All-Season Tires for Snow Traction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-03, 11:53 AM
CMOTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best All-Season Tires for Snow Traction?

What are the best all-season tires for snow traction? I have a 1995 LS400 with Michelin X-One's currently. They're terrible in snow or ice conditions. I'm leaning toward Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. I would like to avoid having a set of winter-only tires. Any suggestions or recommendations???
Old 02-03-03, 07:43 PM
Frank T
Rookie

Check Out Nokian Tires.
Old 02-04-03, 03:19 AM
bouellet
Rookie

Default Snows

Blizzacks are awesome from a New Englander. Must be on all four tires of the LS 400. But they are only for winter driving and must be changed out in spring which works out very well since rotation will take place and life of all tires will double. All you need is room to store.

Last edited by bouellet; 02-04-03 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-04-03, 06:41 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default Alternative

If you are really that hell bent on all-season, try Dunlop SP Sport A2. Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is half a joke on snow. A2 is a little loud at very low speed 5-15 mph (but who drives at that speed anyway, right ? We are not that old ). Dry/wet tractions are as good as an all-season gets, so is snow traction. This is the tires on my mother in law's car. When she doesn't complain about snow traction, usually that means the tires are good enough. Again, as good as all-season goes.

BTW, this is kinda of an irony. I have two cars and *SIX* sets of wheels and tires. When my wife and I were still racing two Eagle Talon AWDs, each car has 3 sets of wheels/tires. Summer (Max performance dry/wet) tires, snow tires and race tires. Sold one of the Talons and bought the LS400. I was so damn tempted to race the LS400 also, but I decided otherwise. The other Talon now has four sets and the LS400 now has two. Maybe I should race the LS400 once in a while. Get some battle scars put on the car, giving it a little character

Ok, enough rambling. Good luck on the tires.
Old 02-04-03, 05:55 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Try Toyo Ultra 800. It has 700 threadwear.
Old 02-05-03, 07:00 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Cool SNOW TIRES

My advice

From Nov-April I have to drive in the snow and ICE.

I have tried all weather but after I got some good snow tires about 5 years ago (which were kind of expensive) I am so glad I did. I would never again put my family in danger driving in the snow with all weather. The diffrence in driving is outstanding.

As soon as the weather is good I take them off so I dont ruin them.

There are many kinds but if you care about yourself and passengers get top of the line. Yes there are not so expensive snow tires but they are the same as your all weather. If you get the inxpesive one you might as well keep the one's you have.

Plus I got some nice 16's to go with them.
Old 02-05-03, 08:36 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default Snow Tires

Samurai,

So you are in Japan I take it (since you drive a Majesta) ?

Snow tires are not that expensive in the US. The way I look at it, they are cheaper than insurance (collission) deductible, rarely they are more, unless you are into high performance/rally snow tires. Even the bottom of premium snow tires are good enough for tearing around on some mining roads around here trying to mimick Colin McRae

Anyway, I agree with you about taking off the snow tires during warmer months. They don't last very long at all. I do have dedicated wheels (the OE wheels) for snow tires, so changeover is quick and painless. Besides, that saves the nice and expensive summer wheels (I have 18x9s !) from salt/sand.
Old 02-06-03, 03:36 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Cool

So the tires are not expensive in the U.S.

I wouldnt know I have been away for over 9 years.

They have about 30 diffrent types of snow tires here and I ended up spending about $700 for 4 tires. 16x7.5 I think the most expensive ones were about $900.

The cheapest were inported here from Korea and go for about $50 each.

Bye the way my Best Rooster (Fighting type) I named him Samurai. Oh thats other story the chickens here are expensive too. LOL

They do have a car parts company named Samurai.
Old 02-06-03, 05:30 AM
ChasFenwick
Driver School Candidate

The 150mph-rated tires that came with my 1990 LS400 (when new) were so awful on slippery surfaces that I left the thing in the garage all winter for the first two years that I owned it. Then I put on a set of Goodyear AquaTreads and was very very pleased with their 4-season performance, noise level, everything. Kept them on the car for another 5-1/2 years and they still seemed as new when I traded it in. On a 1997 GMC Yukon. Heresy, yes?