LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Center "Glove Box" 12V Usb Adapter/question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 04:43 PM
BIGBOI3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center "Glove Box" 12V Usb Adapter/question

Hey Guys,

For my 1999 Lexus LS 400, I am thinking of getting an adapter for people to charge their phones/tables via a USB to Cigarette Adapter much like this:

Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput (Black): Electronics Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput (Black): Electronics

This would not go in the cigarette lighter spot underneath the Nav screen but instead in the center "glove box" between the two front seats.
1)The problem is, the port is really low to the bottom of the box and I was wondering if any of you have been able to fit any of these adapters into that port given the limited bottom clearance.

2) When the car is turned off, does this port turn off as well or will it drain the battery if something is plugged in. I have heard horror stories about certain adapters short circuiting fuses,etc in the car so I came to you guys for help.

3) Also, any recommendations for a USB 1A/2A adapter? I don't want the ones that branch of into many things. I want to keep as much space in there as possible.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-08-14, 05:33 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBOI3
Hey Guys,

For my 1999 Lexus LS 400, I am thinking of getting an adapter for people to charge their phones/tables via a USB to Cigarette Adapter much like this:

Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput (Black): Electronics

This would not go in the cigarette lighter spot underneath the Nav screen but instead in the center "glove box" between the two front seats.
1)The problem is, the port is really low to the bottom of the box and I was wondering if any of you have been able to fit any of these adapters into that port given the limited bottom clearance.

2) When the car is turned off, does this port turn off as well or will it drain the battery if something is plugged in. I have heard horror stories about certain adapters short circuiting fuses,etc in the car so I came to you guys for help.

3) Also, any recommendations for a USB 1A/2A adapter? I don't want the ones that branch of into many things. I want to keep as much space in there as possible.

Thanks guys!
1. It should fit since it seems to be fairly low profile.
2. All cigarette lighter ports turn on/off with ACC (accessory) power. That being said, if you turned off your car complately the port would turn off. Also, as long as you don't exceed the amperage load of the port (i.e. suddenly charging a laptop off of it) then you shouldn't have a problem.
3. I've got nothing, though I recommend just carrying one of those xx000 mAh battery packs in there instead. Basically charge up at home, and take it with you in case you need it, and some also have a car charging capability.
Old 02-08-14, 09:29 PM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The cig /usb plug in units I used took forever and a day to charge a phone.
Also, I hate cluttering up with all that plug in stuff.
Also, those plug in cig lighter units get loose after a while.
I wish someone offered a quality 12v input , USB output with plain wire leads on the 12v side.
Then you could wire it into the circuit of your choice and hide it where you wish.
Tuck it under the dash with the phone charger cord routed out where you need it.
If you find one let me know.

Amazon.com: BESTEK Dual 110V AC outlets and Dual USB 3.1A 300w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger MRI3011BU: Car Electronics Amazon.com: BESTEK Dual 110V AC outlets and Dual USB 3.1A 300w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger MRI3011BU: Car Electronics

This might work. It has 110v receptacles for your I phone charger . Or you can plug in a usb cord as well.
I think I will try one tucked away under the dash and hard wired in. Not plugged into a cigarette lighter socket.
But don't use this item in your airplane as noted at the bottom of the Bestek ad.

Last edited by dveneman; 02-08-14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 07:06 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by dveneman
I wish someone offered a quality 12v input , USB output with plain wire leads on the 12v side.
Then you could wire it into the circuit of your choice and hide it where you wish.
Tuck it under the dash with the phone charger cord routed out where you need it.
If you find one let me know.
You could make your own like I did. Chain stores like Target, Walmart and Radio Shack should have everything you need.

I bought an inexpensive 12v extension cord - similar to the one in the attached photo - in 2006 for use in powering a portable GPS I installed on a bracket by my radio. I wanted to hide as much of the cables I could and didn't want to cut the plug off the GPS power cord to hard wire it..

I cut the male connector off the extension cord and attached the extension cord wires to the wires leading to the 12v outlet in the console box. I tapped into the 12v outlet cord a few six inches forward of the console box using scotch-lock connectors - I didn't cut the wires leading to the power outlet in the console box. I ran the extension cord's female socket underneath the console wood to the big empty area underneath the radio/forward of the ashtray. I plugged my portable GPS power cord into the extension cord socket.

Then a couple of years ago I bought a Samsung phone that needed a USB-to-MiniUSB charging cable. I then bought a Bell Power Source (photo attached) that has one USB port and two 12v sockets. I plugged the Bell Power Source into the extension cord socket. I plugged my GPS power cord/traffic receiver into a socket on the Bell Power Source. I plugged my phone's USB charging cable into the Bell Power Source and ran the MiniUSB end to my phone's charging cradle on the phone console. The power sockets and most of the cables are hidden beneath the radio with a few bits slipped between the carpet and transmission tunnel on the sides.

An advantage of using an adapter like the Bell Power Source that has its 12v sockets on flexible cables is that it is easier to hide that one of those larger rigid units that have all its outlets in a row.

The accessory circuit in the car is robust enough to charge/power my Garmin, my Samsung phone and my wife's iPhone at the same time and has been completely reliable. The only visible power cords are one exiting the top of the phone console to the Garmin and the other exiting the bottom of the phone console to the phone charging cradle.
Attached Thumbnails Center "Glove Box" 12V Usb Adapter/question-12-volt-extension-cord.jpg   Center "Glove Box" 12V Usb Adapter/question-bell-power-source.jpg   Center "Glove Box" 12V Usb Adapter/question-kenwood-ddx470-640x480.jpg  
Old 02-09-14, 07:36 AM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Thank you for sharing that Jim.
I didn't think about using one of those.
You method also hides the wiring and ugly cigarette lighter plug in.

Now, if I could figure out a way to mount my RAM X-grip mount someplace.

Last edited by dveneman; 02-09-14 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-09-14, 09:10 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dveneman
Now, if I could figure out a way to mount my RAM X-grip mount someplace.
Unless you are going to use your RAM X grip to hold something larger than a 7" tablet, you might be able to remove its base and attach only its holder to a bracket by your radio. I'm partial to brackets from Pro.Fit - used them in installs in several cars: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/

Pro.Fit has several brackets specifically for the LS400 - requires popping out the radio head unit, securing the bracket with a couple of self tapping screws, and reinstalling the head unit.

The following thread has a side view of and explains what I did to modify a Pro.Fit Legend bracket to hold my Garmin GPS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lan-nokia.html

Last edited by Kansas; 02-09-14 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-09-14, 02:27 PM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Nice job Jim.
I will have to check those out too!
Thank you for the ideas.
Old 03-08-14, 10:35 AM
BIGBOI3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I ran the extension cord's female socket underneath the console wood to the big empty area underneath the radio/forward of the ashtray. I plugged my portable GPS power cord into the extension cord socket.

Can you specify how to remove the wood paneling or the side paneling next to the wood so I can run a cable from my cassette player to my center glove box?

Thanks Kansas!
Old 03-08-14, 01:41 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BIGBOI3
Can you specify how to remove the wood paneling or the side paneling next to the wood so I can run a cable from my cassette player to my center glove box?

Thanks Kansas!
It's easier to provide my doc on how to remove the radio than to find the last thread I hung it on. There is not much to removing the console wood panel.

If you want to remove the black plastic console box insert, there is a screw hidden under the vent assembly you see when the armrest is raised. The vent assembly pops off to reveal the screw. There are a couple more screws inside and at the front of the console box under a small rectangular plastic cover which is hard to see unless looking closely with a flashlight.

I ran the USB and aux-in cables for my Kenwood double-DIN to the upper console tray originally meant for the dealer installed phone receiver. I don't think I had to remove the console box to do it - only had to pop off the vent assembly under the arm rest.

Be careful when running your cables to not affect the movement of the retractable cup holder assembly - keep the cables to one side ... maybe between the carpet and transmission tunnel. The carpet along the transmission tunnel is easy to pull down and then tuck back under the center console rails.
Attached Files

Last edited by Kansas; 03-09-14 at 07:20 AM.