LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Water in the trunk

Old 05-19-15, 08:42 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The original was compressed a whole lot too.
Old 05-24-15, 11:06 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I installed my universal seal today. Very easy job. Cleaning the channel is the hardest part. Otherwise it goes on in a couple of minutes. Mine had holes in it like the original, but the rubber channel that attaches to the metal lip of the car is shorter. The original extended past the lip and into the channel surrounding the trunk. I don't see how that makes any difference in effectiveness.
It took 14 feet of seal to do the job. I had 11 left over. I put a bead of weatherstrip cement on the join at the trunk latch, but that's the only place I used cement. When it dries I'll hit it with the hose to see if there are any leaks. The part I used is PRPUWS13925. You can google it and find the best price if you want to go with it. I paid $26.

Last edited by aptoslexus; 05-24-15 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ankurdave (01-28-17)
Old 05-24-15, 11:52 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

That is a good find and looks like it may work okay. If it does leak here is what to use this is very close to what is in the expensive from the dealer seal.
http://www.repaintsupply.com/3m-0861...aler-p557.html
I'm not saying buy it here its what I found by searching. It is a 1/4 inch round ribbon of seal, don't be fooled by what looks like tape its just the separating packaging.
I think without this type of sealer pushed into the groove before installing your seal, that in time the water will just capillary past those chevron seal lips and into the trunk. Please keep us up to date on how it works.
Old 05-24-15, 01:01 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I washed the car and gave the trunk/back window area a good dousing. Not a drop in the trunk. So far, so good. Probably won't know for sure until it sits out in a long downpour, but those are getting pretty rare here in California.
Old 05-24-15, 03:04 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

That is exactly how my aftermarket seal looked so if anyone is looking I suggest that they go with it. I did not apply anything to the lip and mines has those holes too.
Old 08-11-15, 12:58 PM
CBS153010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been dealing with this problem about 3 months and I have completely removed all the trim in the trunk.I just purchased a trunk weather seal and installed it a few days ago.It has rained once and NO water in the wheel well.The 1st thing I noticed was that the trunk needs to be pushed down much harder to close it than before.Even thou the old seal had no tears or cuts I'm thinking this has solved the problem. 1995 LS 400. Does anyone know what the small hose on the trunk side panels are for.I know the large ones in there are for the rear sun roof drains.
I have followed the 2 smaller lines and have found that the one on the pass side is actually a gas line overflow from the fill area.The one on the drivers side appears to be a water drain for the rear electric antenna

Last edited by CBS153010; 08-12-15 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 08-11-15, 07:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

You have a pic of the hose? I don't recall any hoses besides the ones for the sun roof drain.

Last edited by sha4000; 08-12-15 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-15, 06:26 AM
CBS153010
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I don't they are next to the large hose those hoses are about 3/8" one on each side of the sun roof drain hoses in the side panels in the trunk.
Old 08-12-15, 12:08 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Are they thick wires? Moon roof drains are clear plastic.
Old 01-16-18, 09:12 PM
hmallett
Driver School Candidate

Default water in left rear trunk quarter-panel

Replaced seal for trunk (albeit a used one from a wrecked '95 LS400 which had no water in ITS trunk). Rained, and left quarter-panel 'well' was again full of water. I park on a slant (rear to downside), and car has been largely outside for last 4 years. Suspect window seal? But, have become curious about moon roof drains--it seems the water literally pours in there as if from a feed... Could the window seals be the culprit, or drains, or what? Looks like the tube drains in that area are through the 'bottom' so unless I'm missing something, don't know where the water is flowing from..... Moon-roof drains, if plugged, can divert water in there? Anyway, the entire car is 'steamed-up' and I fear mould could be next.... Thanks for any help, and appreciate the thread so far... Cheers, Howard
Old 01-17-18, 09:09 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hmallett
Replaced seal for trunk (albeit a used one from a wrecked '95 LS400 which had no water in ITS trunk). Rained, and left quarter-panel 'well' was again full of water. I park on a slant (rear to downside), and car has been largely outside for last 4 years. Suspect window seal? But, have become curious about moon roof drains--it seems the water literally pours in there as if from a feed... Could the window seals be the culprit, or drains, or what? Looks like the tube drains in that area are through the 'bottom' so unless I'm missing something, don't know where the water is flowing from..... Moon-roof drains, if plugged, can divert water in there? Anyway, the entire car is 'steamed-up' and I fear mould could be next.... Thanks for any help, and appreciate the thread so far... Cheers, Howard

Do you have an extending radio antenna on the left fender? IIRC, hey have a drain tube that must be routed to the outside of the car.
Colin
Old 01-17-18, 03:42 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by hmallett
If installing used seal, you cleaned surfaces and applied fresh factory specified adhesive?

Some images taken of 1999 LS400 at right rear quarter panel trunk opening above tail lamp area....

As you see there is a corner plastic piece in the trunk weather strip area where the trunk lid bends at 90 degree angle.

It contains a 45 degree captive stud that passes through the chassis through hole depicted.

If the seal at through hole is degraded, it will leak.

Also notice the heads of two round white plastic through hole clips in quater panel...they have seals under the head to prevent water ingress....if old then probably leaking

Earlier LS400's used 3 of these white plastic clips...but they had turrets to help stabilize and postion said corner plastic piece.

The corner piece has slots to accommodate the turrets so am attempting to sort this out with dealer.

Turret top (not actual part for illustrative purpose only)

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-17-18 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 02:01 PM
pacerdonfl
Driver School Candidate

Fyi, i was getting a boatload of water in my trunk - found out it was from the horizontal portion of my tail light lens seals - put a little silicone on them and voila - no more water.....
Old 01-22-18, 04:44 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
If installing used seal, you cleaned surfaces and applied fresh factory specified adhesive?

Some images taken of 1999 LS400 at right rear quarter panel trunk opening above tail lamp area....

As you see there is a corner plastic piece in the trunk weather strip area where the trunk lid bends at 90 degree angle.

It contains a 45 degree captive stud that passes through the chassis through hole depicted.

If the seal at through hole is degraded, it will leak.

Also notice the heads of two round white plastic through hole clips in quater panel...they have seals under the head to prevent water ingress....if old then probably leaking

Earlier LS400's used 3 of these white plastic clips...but they had turrets to help stabilize and postion said corner plastic piece.

The corner piece has slots to accommodate the turrets so am attempting to sort this out with dealer.

Turret top (not actual part for illustrative purpose only)
Lexus was able to determine correct P.N.s for self-sealing plastic turret clips...90467-07095...the 1995-2000 LS400 exploded parts diagram does not display this autonomous part, so went back to 1990-1994 LS400 parts diagram...viola.

Right and left trunk weatherstrip plastic corner piece is positioned using these turret headed self-sealing plastic clip. If original then sealing gasket is probably past its prime..
Original clips on left side before replacing...
Noticeable gap between chassis and clip..
Borrowed sealing element from extra clips to insure sealing around stud through-hole.
Right rear trunk weatherstrip plastic corner piece is crooked and doesn't set right.
Here's why....some Joker used incorrect plastic sealing clips without turret..
An after image depicting perfect alignment of plastic corner piece.in relation to right rear quarter panel.
These clips are inexpensive and help solve potential or existing trunk leakage issues.

1990-1994 LS400 use 3/side 1995-2000 LS400 use 2/side..

Order a few extras to use sealing washers at chassis through-hole/stud.