LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Comparing '99 LS400 to '03 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 01:58 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Comparing '99 LS400 to '03 LS430

I recently traded in my 1999 LS400 for a 2003 LS430 with the custom package.

After 2 weeks and 1100 miles, my overall observations are:

=============> General

1. I liked the external appearance of the LS400 better.
2. Somehow, they made the LS430 even quieter than the LS400!
3. The interior room size is about the same. Many of the controls are the same, which I like.
4. The “Through-the-seat” heating is awesome. Sometimes the single setting seat heater on the LS400 got too hot. The LS430’s settable. This summer I’ll get to try the “Through-the-seat” cooling……
5. The extra radio control buttons on the left side of the steering wheel are a problem. From time to time I find myself accidentally pressing one and changing something. This never seems to happen with the buttons on the right side.
6. The rear window shade comes in handy from time to time when I’m traveling east in the evening.
7. Automatic door and trunk closers are great. About 5% of the time, they finish closing for me.
8. The rain sensing wipers work just as advertised. I was surprised, however, the first time I went into a car wash! Of course, they started wiping!
9. Being an empty-nester, I would prefer that the doors never lock automatically, but that’s not an option.
10. My mother-in-law REALLY appreciates the rear seat heater!

=============> Navigation system

Overall, I’d give the navigation system a B+

It does usually take me to my destination, or reasonably close to it.

It sometimes calls roads by other names. Everyone knows the road as “Route 125”, but the navigation system knows it as “Calef Road”. Actually it’s called “Calef Highway”.

I live in a small town. When going across town, the Nav system insists on getting to a highway as soon as possible, even though surface roads are much shorter.

Sometimes the “Car pointer” on the map gets way off to the left or right of the road I’m on, and it appears that I’m traveling through a field!

I’m not so enthusiastic about the fact that the audio and climate control systems must now be operated through several screens rather than the twist of a single ****. As an example, I often listen to audio books that require me to move the stereo control from left to right (they record 4 tracks on each cassette, forward left speaker, back left speaker, forward right speaker, back right speaker). This is quite awkward on the screen, but simple with a ****.

BMW has taken this to an extreme with their I-Drive. It must be very annoying.

=============> Laser cruise control

This is a very impressive feature that works extremely well. I give it an A+, despite the issue noted below. It actually TRACKS the car ahead until my maximum speed is reached. In essence, I’m using the other car’s cruise control, and letting the other driver adjust to varying traffic conditions.

It does help if I (Yes I know I shouldn’t) take my eyes off the road for a moment to adjust something. I won’t be plowing into the guy ahead if he slows down.

The only problem I’ve had with it is:

In mid-January I was driving down the highway, when it began to flurry lightly. I approached a car and found that the cruise control didn’t “See” the car ahead, and kept closing the distance until I intervened.

After about 5 minutes of this behavior, I finally got a message that the laser sensor needed to be cleaned, and the cruise control shut off.

=============> Climate control

This I’d give a grade of B-

I never had a problem with the 1999 LS400 climate control.

On the LS430, something odd’s going on when it’s cold (0-30 Fahrenheit). I usually leave the temperature at 71.

Everything’s ok until the car warms up.

Then, I get too-warm air from the upper vents for about 10 minutes, which makes things too warm.

I fiddle with the temperature, dropping the setting to 68 until it stops putting out the too-warm air.

Then, I set it back to 71 and things are fine for 10 minutes or so.

Now it starts sending too-cold air from the upper vents. I set it up to 74 for a few minutes and finally things settle down and I can set it back to 71.
Old 01-31-03, 04:54 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thank you for all your information. I have a 98 with 32k miles on it and love it. At the same time I see the new LS430 and wonder how much better would it be, well you just answered most of my questions. I have test driven the LS430 many times but you don't get the real experience on a test drive.

One question for you, it sounds like you have an Ultra by the options you mentioned so what do you think about the Air suspension. Did your 99 have air suspension?

In you 1k mile experience does it feel night and day smoother or just slightly or you have not really noticed it? My thoughts from test drives is that for short in city trips it may not make that big of a difference but I figured for a long multi hour trip you may be just that more comfortable and relaxed. Again just my thoughts??

Keep us up to date and any other comments are highly appreciated.

Jerry Horta
Old 01-31-03, 06:46 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Jerry,

I don't have the ultra luxury, I have the custom package, which includes everything from the ultra luxury, except the back seat features, the air suspension, and the side window shades.
Old 02-01-03, 11:34 AM
serie1926
Driver School Candidate

Helmar,

I also do not like the auto lock feature. I had the dealer plug in and see what they could change, and they were able to set all doors to unlock when I put the car in park.

Hope this helps.

Scott
Old 02-11-03, 05:54 AM
LIGHTYEAR
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice

Great review and nice to make the comparison.

One day I might be able to move up from my 1995 LS400 to the lovely sounding LS430, but I will have to wait until they are 5 / years old to afford it !

No big deal, it will I am sure still feel like new, but I would like to see how much difference the extra 30 horses make to the driving experience.

Thx
Old 02-11-03, 07:36 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Very good review. I also like my 99 exterior better and the interior is somewhat a wash. The only problem I have now is my buddy (who parks NEXT to me at work) bought a 2002 Infiniti Q45. My LS looks somewhat plain next to it Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my LS but that Q is very impressive.

Lightyear, there is 30+hp waiting to come out and play in that 95...
Old 02-11-03, 07:21 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doors close for themselves?!?
Old 02-11-03, 07:26 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Default Automatic door closers

Geremology101,

Yes, the custom package (and the ultra-luxury package) include automatic door and trunk closers.

If you don't close the door all the way, they finish closing for themselves.
Old 02-11-03, 07:28 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWEET!!
Old 02-17-03, 08:40 AM
jjho
Driver School Candidate

I am an 2000 LS400 owner. I had a comparison with
my colleague's 2002 LS430. I noticed that, though the
LS430 was more refined with many electronic gudgets,
it was still a LS400. The engine was not brand new.
It expanded the cyliner size from 4.0L to 4.3L.

Toyota, along with other automobile manufacturers, tends to
design an engine and to stay with it for more than 10 years.

For example, the 3SFE engine was first introduced at 1990's
toyota camry and many other cars with 2L engines. At this
time, the engine's cylinder size was expanded to 2.4L and
the design was still in use.

Nissan is catching up. Hope toyota can have new designs
to keep their products competitive.

My two cent's observations.

JJ
Old 02-22-03, 11:39 AM
flkey
Driver School Candidate

Question flkey

I, too, have a 2003 LS430, new as of 10/30/03, <2500 mis. Very nice auto., but flaws do exist: 1. On cold start it runs at 1500 rpm and has high pitch buzz ( polution control?) 2. when first driving away after 10 sec. wait (see O. M. ) the brake pads against discs sound awful, like grit on surfaces, I have a '94 GMC p.u. and 'o1 Acura CL Type S, neither of which act this way. dealer can find no problems. 3. Just back from 150 mi. trip, chirping sound in engine bay, could be belt noise, will tell service dept. on next visit.
Looking for Technical Service Bulletins ( TSB's ) , anyone know where? Better yet, maybe a Lex Tech logs in?
Old 02-22-03, 11:53 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Default I haven't experienced those problems.

I haven't experienced ANY quality control problems on my '03 LS430 or my '99 LS400, even after 70,000 miles. N

No noises, squeeks, rattles, or buzzes. Just, to quote a magazine review, "Tomb-like" quiet.

The issues I brought up were design issues.