LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1997 LS400 Timing belt possibly skipped teeth

Old 01-26-14, 08:56 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrobira
I am still waiting for the parts, but I pulled off the Harmonic balancer, and found a problem
You found the MAIN problem!!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-26-14 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-26-14, 09:55 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wondering - If the harmonic balancer was installed in the wrong position, would it not change the valve timing on both banks so they were equally wrong?
I am having difficulty understanding how they could be different (assuming that the marks were lined up originally).
Old 01-26-14, 10:03 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
You found the MAIN problem!!
This was my main problem too! Lol but mine was line up correctly but was worn, very worn and have play/wobbly
Old 01-26-14, 10:06 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crank sprocket has its own set of marks that are used during setup of the timing belt. So the crank mark can be correct but have an incorrect reading from the harmonic balancer.
Old 01-26-14, 10:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if the crank pulley (aka dampener or balancer) is not in the correct position, like in dcrobira's case (due to idiot previous mechanic) or wobbly wallowed out like SynicalVip's case (probably another idiot previous mechanic) then the marks on the pulley mean nothing any more and correct timing belt alignment is basically impossible!

the key must be in the correct position and it must be tight as a drum with not even the slightest micron of wiggle once the pulley is installed, or all bets are off!
Old 01-27-14, 01:00 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Didnt say it was right cowboy. Just how it was able to run that way. At least for alittle while.
Old 01-27-14, 05:21 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Didnt say it was right cowboy. Just how it was able to run that way. At least for alittle while.
That is probably what happened in this case. The mechanic got the crank pulley in the wrong spot but the engine timing was forgiving enough to allow the engine to run (not great but run) for a while. Until the crank pulley slipped from the original(wrong) spot because the key was not holding in the crankshaft slot(and BTW, could not have been properly torqued to 181 lb/ft). The slippage caused the timing to get much worse and engine just quite running altogether. It was probably right after a "pedal to the metal" event. Remember, son was driving ;-)
Old 01-27-14, 10:37 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the timing being that far off could have been behind the overheating, but once it is back together and timed correctly, this overheating issue will have to be addressed ASAP if the timing correction doesn't fix it
Old 01-27-14, 10:55 PM
L8274Jones
Driver School Candidate

Wow Guys I have a real hard time seeing the Idiot tracks on that pully from "Bubba"!! I very much agree with YoshiMan that dummy needs to stick with Blocks until he gets them !!!
Old 02-07-14, 08:47 PM
dcrobira
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I have not had time to replace all the parts, but I removed the belt tensioner, and the RH cam snapped into position when I barely lifted the belt off the gear.

I had to lightly file off the "ears" on the new custom groove in the crank pulley so it would slide on properly.

I reinstalled the tensioner and checked compression on the RH bank. All cylinders ~180 psi.

I plan on replacing cam and crank seals and doing a good cleaning before replacing TB et al. I am probably gonna pull the power steering pump and alternator to clean down there, and while it is out, I gotta fix the leak in PS pump.

-

Originally Posted by randal
It was probably right after a "pedal to the metal" event. Remember, son was driving ;-)
Bingo….

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
.....you've got to be kidding me...
Okay, new rule for amateur home mechanics:
I found a service manual in the trunk that was written in a foreign language. Under the timing belt replacement section, I saw this picture:
Attached Thumbnails 1997 LS400 Timing belt possibly skipped teeth-images.jpeg  
Old 02-07-14, 09:45 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
This was my main problem too! Lol but mine was line up correctly but was worn, very worn and have play/wobbly
given that this key alignment is popping up multiples, I recommend everyone inspect the crank pulley keyway and replace woodruff key with genuine Toyota key, which is only $1 at the dealership!
Old 02-08-14, 01:08 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! A genuine Lexus part for $1! I think we have a winner for the Least Expensive Genuine Lexus Part competition. :-)
Old 02-08-14, 01:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
given that this key alignment is popping up multiples, I recommend everyone inspect the crank pulley keyway and replace woodruff key with genuine Toyota key, which is only $1 at the dealership!
your response to two known incidents of a damaged keyway (not I said damaged, not worn) is to recommend everyone with an LS do a full tiiming belt job regardless of mileage and replace the woodruff key?

This is a stupid mechanic/random service manual issue, not a wear issue. No xUZ engines have a known issue with woodruff key wear on the crank.
Old 02-08-14, 02:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
your response to two known incidents of a damaged keyway (not I said damaged, not worn) is to recommend everyone with an LS do a full tiiming belt job regardless of mileage and replace the woodruff key?

This is a stupid mechanic/random service manual issue, not a wear issue. No xUZ engines have a known issue with woodruff key wear on the crank.
No, my recommendation is that anyone doing a timing belt would be wise to take an extra two minutes and inspect the keyway and replace the $1 key, while you are already there!
Old 02-08-14, 03:17 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wear on the keyway or key is only going to be an issue on cars where the timing belt has been changed by someone who didn't know what they were doing and/or didn't torque the crank pully to spec.

I would not say a few incidents of absolute morons working on these cars, are enough to suggest people panic and assume they are afflicted with this issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 LS400 Timing belt possibly skipped teeth